What's new

Question BLOODY HOT! - The Skarlet Gameplay Discussion Thread

Hallo. Let me begin by saying I've played two Mortal Kombat games, and they were both called Mortal Kombat, which is kind of a nagging existential quandary. >.>

I feel my skill level at this game lies in the 'better-than-mediocre' zone; I have become relatively proficient with Raiden, Smoke, and Sektor, but I really only play vs. AI and a few friends (alas we have to play with PS3 controllers. haate), and I own a T8 hex bit so I can sand out the D-Pad well on my 360 controller to get over frequent fits of rage, because I clearly pressed Back, not Back/Up, SO WHY ARE YOU JUMPING?! AARGH!

I'm here because I've fallen in love with Skarlet's distinctive brand of single-minded masochism, and I had a couple of inquiries for the discussion thread.

-I've been reading through this and a few other threads, and most (if not all) of the combos I've seen discussed center around dagger canceling (which seems damn important, though it's hard for me to wrap my brain around) and how best to RDxxU/DS as many times as possible before resetting with 113 (resets being another concept that is eluding me). Here's the thing: my Skarlet game has centered around bouncing my opponent across the screen with slashes, then doing F4xxBD, or some variations thereof, and I tend to chain slashes with dash F3, cause her knee has godlike reach. Anyway, what I love most about playing Skarlet is catching my opponent on the cheek with an almost negligent F4 after a slash, then slamming them to the ground with Blood Drop. Am I gimping myself by ending combos with BD?

-Second, when playing with my buddies, I often wind up tag-teaming two fighters, and I really enjoy that aspect of the game. Which characters really gel with Skarlet, and why?

Thanks! ~Fake

Rampage254

Ayy Lmao
Hallo. Let me begin by saying I've played two Mortal Kombat games, and they were both called Mortal Kombat, which is kind of a nagging existential quandary. >.>

I feel my skill level at this game lies in the 'better-than-mediocre' zone; I have become relatively proficient with Raiden, Smoke, and Sektor, but I really only play vs. AI and a few friends (alas we have to play with PS3 controllers. haate), and I own a T8 hex bit so I can sand out the D-Pad well on my 360 controller to get over frequent fits of rage, because I clearly pressed Back, not Back/Up, SO WHY ARE YOU JUMPING?! AARGH!

I'm here because I've fallen in love with Skarlet's distinctive brand of single-minded masochism, and I had a couple of inquiries for the discussion thread.

-I've been reading through this and a few other threads, and most (if not all) of the combos I've seen discussed center around dagger canceling (which seems damn important, though it's hard for me to wrap my brain around) and how best to RDxxU/DS as many times as possible before resetting with 113 (resets being another concept that is eluding me). Here's the thing: my Skarlet game has centered around bouncing my opponent across the screen with slashes, then doing F4xxBD, or some variations thereof, and I tend to chain slashes with dash F3, cause her knee has godlike reach. Anyway, what I love most about playing Skarlet is catching my opponent on the cheek with an almost negligent F4 after a slash, then slamming them to the ground with Blood Drop. Am I gimping myself by ending combos with BD?

-Second, when playing with my buddies, I often wind up tag-teaming two fighters, and I really enjoy that aspect of the game. Which characters really gel with Skarlet, and why?

Thanks! ~Fake
Dagger cancelling in combos is easier than red dash~down slash but dagger cancelling does less damage. It's not too hard once you get the hang of it.

Red Dash~down slash is usually done once or twice per combo before ending with 1, 1, 2. Look at the combos in Ninj's combo thread or the Ultimate Skarlet Guide.

Don't end with F4xxBD cuz it does less damage. You're also at negative advantage after blood drop on hit if the opponent tech rolls. It's better to end with 1, 1, 2 (for standing reset and pressure+blockstrings) or 2,3, red dash, red slide (for max damage).

F3 is alright but it is also slow. F4 should have similar reach and it's faster.

Not sure about tag, not many people play tag. I will say that Scorpion is a good tag partner for anybody. You can just hellfire assist then blockstring with Skarlet all day. Sub-Zero has some neat combos with Skarlet too (you can find a combo video on youtube by TylerLantern)

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game

Thanks! ~Fake
Rampage / Red Raptor pretty much summed it up.

As for tag...Scorpian is a great tag partner when you are playing as Skarlet mostly. His hellfire assist is amazing.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Rampage / Red Raptor pretty much summed it up.

As for tag...Scorpian is a great tag partner when you are playing as Skarlet mostly. His hellfire assist is amazing.
This is why tag is broken, hellfire assist to Free Jump in, it doesn't matter if the opponent crouch block the blockstring, Hellfire assist is Unblockable and gives a free jump LOL.

I Wish someone challenged me for a tag in a near future lol.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Standing 1 upslash - f4 rd downslash xx 112.
You can do other continuation after landing standing 1 into up slash - it is really all up to You what You are more comfortable with.

ryublaze

Noob
Dagger cancelling in combos is easier than red dash~down slash but dagger cancelling does less damage. It's not too hard once you get the hang of it.

Red Dash~down slash is usually done once or twice per combo before ending with 1, 1, 2. Look at the combos in Ninj's combo thread or the Ultimate Skarlet Guide.

Don't end with F4xxBD cuz it does less damage. You're also at negative advantage after blood drop on hit if the opponent tech rolls. It's better to end with 1, 1, 2 (for standing reset and pressure+blockstrings) or 2,3, red dash, red slide (for max damage).

F3 is alright but it is also slow. F4 should have similar reach and it's faster.

Not sure about tag, not many people play tag. I will say that Scorpion is a good tag partner for anybody. You can just hellfire assist then blockstring with Skarlet all day. Sub-Zero has some neat combos with Skarlet too (you can find a combo video on youtube by TylerLantern)
Since when did you pick up Skarlet ramp?

Amadeous

Noob
Picking up MK9 for the first time (First time competitively anyway), what would be a good starting point for learning Skarlet? Does she have any zoning potential with daggers?

Also what beginner BnBs should I use? I always get flustered when I learn a new character.

Saltea Moonspell

You got pretty much everything in those Guides around the forum.

Her zoning is to keep opponent away if You need to. There is no point to zone for long as You will most likely lose in those trades - Damage wise.
You should try different combos and see what You are comfortable with. Every combo ended with 112 gives You a reset and block string opportunity.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Picking up MK9 for the first time (First time competitively anyway), what would be a good starting point for learning Skarlet? Does she have any zoning potential with daggers?

Also what beginner BnBs should I use? I always get flustered when I learn a new character.
You got pretty much everything in those Guides around the forum.

Her zoning is to keep opponent away if You need to. There is no point to zone for long as You will most likely lose in those trades - Damage wise.
You should try different combos and see what You are comfortable with. Every combo ended with 112 gives You a reset and block string opportunity.
What this guy above said ^^

Skarlet daggers have multiple proposes besides working only to a certain extent to keep ppl out, its also used to get in, or to bait mistakes from the opponent.

AssassiN

Noob
Daggers mainly serve purpose of building meter, with meter she can rushdown or armor through for damage.
She can outzone most of the cast but you'll have to be on point with your execution to avoid their projectiles or use jumping daggers.

If only her daggers did more damage on hit + chip...
Should have given her those buffs after nerfing the dagger cancels.

Saltea Moonspell

No problem, though there are Gods among US, some of Us will still stand in the lines!
Best of luck!