What's new

Black Manta Speculation?

JLU51306

Bzzzt *Paging Doctor Fate*
His render bares as much detail as Grodd does over all. Some characters don't need to be overly stylized (I'm looking at you, Superman), to be a playable character.
The fact that literally every character's super is shown or glimpsed among his scene also gives me hope.
Obviously placing Black Manta in the trailer was a conscious and purposeful decision, and NRS must've known we'd scrutinize his appearance to whatever degree this is.

On the other hand, Ed is a troll.

JLU51306

Bzzzt *Paging Doctor Fate*
It's weird that throwing a character in as a transition or cameo is considered a troll. You guys do realize they could just as easily pull a capcom and have barren backgrounds full of nondescript uninteresting characters?
I wasn't referring to whether or not he's playable or a transition as a troll, but moreso the fact that he is undoubtedly being teased in the very first gameplay shown and almost every gaming news site is posting as if he was teased (and assuming he's playable), is the troll I was pointing out.

I have no problem with him being a transition, as much as I'd like him to be playable.

... The one time I didn't use fine print to better explain the context of my statement...

Last edited:

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Wasn't Doomsday an interactable in Injustice? I'd say if MMH can be a background character and Doomsday can be an interactable, there's no reason Manta can't still make it in.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I want Manta and Deathstroke. They know that we would flip tits about seeing Manta, so it could just be to build hype and they have no intention of him being playable.

trufenix

bye felicia
I wasn't referring to whether or not he's playable or a transition as a troll, but moreso the fact that he is undoubtedly being teased in the very first gameplay shown and almost every gaming news site is posting as if he was teased (and assuming he's playable), is the troll I was pointing out.

I have no problem with him being a transition, as much as I'd like him to be playable.

... The one time I didn't use fine print to better explain the context of my statement...
I mean, he's in the game. Should they have just not shown off stages that have cameos? I just want to know how to do something and not be labeled a troll when my game is done.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
I mean, he's in the game. Should they have just not shown off stages that have cameos? I just want to know how to do something and not be labeled a troll when my game is done.
I think you got this backwards. Ed Boon is a known troll to begin with, so anything deliberately shown to us is going to be under this kind of scrutiny accordingly. We're not calling him a troll bc of the Manta clip, we're wondering about the Manta clip because he's a troll.

I just want to point out to those saying "well he's in the game... shouldn't they just make him playable" etc.

Think of all the story characters in MKX, and most you actually fought during story (granted they had MK9 strings/specials), still they were never playable.

I recommend not putting all your eggs in either basket (playable vs unplayable) and just enjoy the clips of the game so far. With everyone's constant whining about MKX mechanics, you should really be putting all this care about Manta into caring about the game itself. JS

Olcadan13

mkx apologist
Damn I was actually pretty hype for Black Manta, knowing that he is just a transition sucks. Scarecrow was just a transition as well and he never made it in as DLC, but he is getting in this game 100% no doubt about it

trufenix

bye felicia
I think you got this backwards. Ed Boon is a known troll to begin with, so anything deliberately shown to us is going to be under this kind of scrutiny accordingly. We're not calling him a troll bc of the Manta clip, we're wondering about the Manta clip because he's a troll.
again:

undoubtedly being teased in the very first gameplay shown
I'm asking (with that kind of logic) how Boon could show anything in the game involving characters without a disclaimer that is or is not a playable character without it being considered a tease or troll.

That said, I know the answer is people are not satisfied until someone at NRS literally sends them an email saying x character is/is not confirmed (which they never do) and even then it is usually percieved as a troll / tease to throw them off the trail. I was just hoping after the entire KP2 debacle we were done with it. I assumed for this discussion to be continuing someone would have stronger evidence than "I saw him in a transition". I was wrong.

Given Injustice 1, being a stage-background/transition actor doesn't necessarily mean he's definitely de-confirmed (Doomsday, Martian Manhunter)... but I would say it means it is slightly less likely....

I feel like Aquaman is too big a character not to have an opposing villain though- maybe we'll get Orm or something.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Martian was a background character, not a stage transition. I think it's different when you can remove Martian from flying around the air in one of the stages (when somebody is using Martian) since I think transitions are totally static and can't be changed. Just my theory. What would happen if Black Manta was put in the game and somebody selected him then did the transition? Who would replace that Manta?

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Martian was a background character, not a stage transition. I think it's different when you can remove Martian from flying around the air in one of the stages (when somebody is using Martian) since I think transitions are totally static and can't be changed. Just my theory. What would happen if Black Manta was put in the game and somebody selected him then did the transition? Who would replace that Manta?
Doomsday was an interactable. You could bounce your opponent off of him.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Doomsday was an interactable. You could bounce your opponent off of him.
That's because there was two Doomsdays in story mode. There was DD from Earth Prime at the beginning of the game and a DD from Earth-Two where Superman has him under his control.

Martian wasn't related to the story unless you count his ending :p