What's new

Best specials in MK 9

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Reptile's dash may be super punishable, but it does very notable things. It is one of two reasons Reptile even has his oki game, it is among the best punishing options in the game, it gives Reptile his most damaging combo, and it gives Reptile a VERY powerful mobility option when spaced (LBSH, crossing over half a screen in 1/4 of a second is ridiculous). And it can function as a pressure escape option (it's not the best, but Reptile certainly could be worse off).

Joker, I'm gonna have to disagree with you on it not being one of the best specials in the game. Being punishable is a price to pay for what that move offers.

Also, ice clone is absolutely broken...it is the biggest reason armor is as prevalent as it is in MK9. Because without it, Sub would be going 7-3 vs a number of characters.

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
Soul Steal is really good. Huge range, big push back, damage boost on hit and +1 on block.
soulsteal=winner. im amazed this hasnt been mentioned more,the ultimate mindfuck special.just for the record shang is the king of swag and the best designed and most underrated character in the game,fact!,if it wasnt for shang id have quit mk9 along time ago.

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
Don't underrate Stryker's Baton toss.
Under most prjoectiles, invincibility on wakeup, full armor on EX,
4/5 screen normal, full screen on EX version.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Reptile's dash may be super punishable, but it does very notable things. It is one of two reasons Reptile even has his oki game, it is among the best punishing options in the game, it gives Reptile his most damaging combo, and it gives Reptile a VERY powerful mobility option when spaced (LBSH, crossing over half a screen in 1/4 of a second is ridiculous). And it can function as a pressure escape option (it's not the best, but Reptile certainly could be worse off).

Joker, I'm gonna have to disagree with you on it not being one of the best specials in the game. Being punishable is a price to pay for what that move offers.

Also, ice clone is absolutely broken...it is the biggest reason armor is as prevalent as it is in MK9. Because without it, Sub would be going 7-3 vs a number of characters.
I think the price that reptile pays for his dash is too high. He doesn't have a regular dash and his normals are all quite slow, half the time the only option he has to escape pressure is combo punishable.

LanceMonsoon

All in on Johnny Football
Cage's nutpunch. The amount of salt I have when me and my opponent are at about 40% health each, and they make a right read and hit me with a 30% combo into a nutpunch, into crazy good pressure and chip is ridiculous. Best combo ender/standing reset in the game.

THTB

I think the price that reptile pays for his dash is too high. He doesn't have a regular dash and his normals are all quite slow, half the time the only option he has to escape pressure is combo punishable.
LBSH he doesn't even get punished a good portion of the time anyway, because no one really bothered to get the punishment reaction down lol.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
LBSH he doesn't even get punished a good portion of the time anyway, because no one really bothered to get the punishment reaction down lol.
I do not understand this. Like it honestly isn't hard, it took me 20 minutes of practice to get it to muscle memory and now i punish 9 out of 10... i guess you need somebody to help you though.

THTB

I do not understand this. Like it honestly isn't hard, it took me 20 minutes of practice to get it to muscle memory and now i punish 9 out of 10... i guess you need somebody to help you though.
Lol, I don't even practice vs Reptile and I'm capable of punishing it consistently. I'm just saying there are a lot of people who still don't.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Lol, I don't even practice vs Reptile and I'm capable of punishing it consistently. I'm just saying there are a lot of people who still don't.
Yeah I know, i do not understand how one can play this game for two years and not punish a special move like that. Like you said, it really isn't hard or anything.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
But that's the thing, in a way he is completely helpless against pressure and then there is the dead zone. If he just had a decent dash he'd be so good.

THTB

But that's the thing, in a way he is completely helpless against pressure and then there is the dead zone. If he just had a decent dash he'd be so good.
The whole dead zone thing is overrated. Yes, it's a spot that gets tricky for him, but no, he's not SOL when you get there.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
The whole dead zone thing is overrated. Yes, it's a spot that gets tricky for him, but no, he's not SOL when you get there.
But it's a large enough area where he can't safely do anything, if he had a normal dash then it wouldn't be a problem.

THTB

But it's a large enough area where he can't safely do anything, if he had a normal dash then it wouldn't be a problem.
Do you know how often a good Reptile actually gets screwed for being there? Almost never. Why?

Because it's a theoretically terrible spot. In reality, it's not all it's cracked up to be, because it's essentially the same spot a lot of characters really don't have much to offer, either.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Do you know how often a good Reptile actually gets screwed for being there? Almost never. Why?

Because it's a theoretically terrible spot. In reality, it's not all it's cracked up to be, because it's essentially the same spot a lot of characters really don't have much to offer, either.
It's because no one is fully aware of how to play the Reptile MU at the highest level. If and when they do I don't think Reptile will really have good answers for it.

THTB

It's because no one is fully aware of how to play the Reptile MU at the highest level. If and when they do I don't think Reptile will really have good answers for it.
Even vs people who are aware, this isn't that big a deal. It's theoretically a bad spot, but realistically, most characters are forced into sitting there in order to truly give Reptile nothing to do.

Lol I can consistently punish it with pretty much every character I play.
Even with Kratos?! :p

His fastest punish BnB has a 12-frame startup.
Yeah I know, i do not understand how one can play this game for two years and not punish a special move like that. Like you said, it really isn't hard or anything.
Hey, some of us aren't graced with something like a 9-frame punish BnB. ; - ;
We just have to work a bit more for that punish.

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
Cyrax's Buzzsaw? Nope.
Freddy's Glove Toss? Perhaps, but it's far from brain dead.
Lao's Hat Toss? Like Bildslash said, REALLY???
Reptile's Elbow Dash? Only online.
Mileena's Bite? Nope.
Sektor's Flame Burner? Nope.
Sonya's Onion Rings?

Wat?
Kang's Flying Kick? Full combo punish on block.
Kenshi's Spirit Charge?
View attachment 4622
Cyrax Buzz Saw: One of the best footsie tools in the game
Lao's Hat Toss: Borderline... You can control it....
Reptile Dash: Amazing mobility tool
Mileena bite: Standing reset
Sektor Flame Burner: One of the best wake ups in the game
Sonya's Projectile: amazing given her pressure

Edit: That all being said, hands down the best special in the game is Kabal's Dash followed by Sonya's Kartwheel