What's new

Best specials in MK 9

RYX

BIG PUSHER
What? Elbow dash is garbage, you are highly overrating that move. It's not even Reptile's best special, let alone one of the best specials in the game.
It's the best mobility tool in the game, smart spacing puts some hard core mind games on it with throws and strings.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
It's the best mobility tool in the game, smart spacing puts some hard core mind games on it with throws and strings.
It wouldn't be anything without forceballs to back it up man. Seriously, it's really good for mobility but not much else. Forceballs are a way better tool than elbow dash, although I will admit that one wouldn't really be as good without the other, elbow dash would be way worse off without forceballs than forceballs without elbow dash.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
It wouldn't be anything without forceballs to back it up man. Seriously, it's really good for mobility but not much else. Forceballs are a way better tool than elbow dash, although I will admit that one wouldn't really be as good without the other, elbow dash would be way worse off without forceballs than forceballs without elbow dash.
Force balls are more important than the dash for sure, but dash is far from garbage. 6f escape move that moves half screen and is only -15 on block(which is great compared to most other mobility tools)? I have no complaints.

Except that dash needs a command grab. :cool:

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Force balls are more important than the dash for sure, but dash is far from garbage. 6f escape move that moves half screen and is only -15 on block(which is great compared to most other mobility tools)? I have no complaints.

Except that dash needs a command grab. :cool:
OMG am I really about to have this conversation again?! GAAAAAAAH. You know what fine I will do it again.

1) Dash being "only -15 on block" means that it can be punished by every character in the game except maybe Sheeva, and every time you use it to escape pressure you are gambling your life bar.

2) Ex dash doesn't help this situation any at all since literally everyone in the game can interrupt it and make us waste a bar to try and gain advantage only to be unsuccessful.

3) Elbow dash is not always 6 frames. Depending on your spacing it can have up to 12 frames of startup.

4) Even if elbow dash hits you don't have any real solid setups off of it, and you only do 11%, with ex you can get 23% but then you lose a forceball setup.

A lot of people just think "Oh it's six frames though just derp it out". This isn't the case because elbow dash is only 6 frames from point blank range. It's best usage is for frame traps when space correctly with forceballs on screen and whiff punishing. If you want to throw out a forceball and just catch the opponent with a dash when he is trying to hit buttons it's usually an ok option, but other than that it is just a gamble, and against most tournament viable characters it's not a risk I like to take, but a lot of times I pretty much just have to do it.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Smoke and Reptile downplaying as always. Yo I have these ridiculous moves to check the opponent but there's some consequence. Useless!
You know it's funny you should be saying this, because Kitana is one of the characters that dash is most useless against.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Or maybe you just overrate how good it actually is...like the rest of this community.

Dash is one of the best tools in the game for punishing ass for example. Useless against her man.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Dash is one of the best tools in the game for punishing ass for example. Useless against her man.
I'm not talking about as a punisher, I've already said as a punish it is most definitely useful. Everyone keeps talking about how good it is for getting out of pressure though, and for that it is really overrated. I punish asses all day with dash easy.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
If Raiden had the vanilla version of the teleport it would be possibly the best. It recovers too slowly now to be massively devastating.
He can get out of most characters block strings that have frame gaps for no meter and 90% of the time it leads to a superman or 37% whiff punish.

Has to be the best special.

Flagg

Noob
Raidens teleport is best used as a counter, imo. Like if you know where gaps are in strings, teleport. I do this all the time with CSZ parry. Teleport when a projectile is thrown or in strings. It's like a lot of Raidens still use the move to get close rather than what it is, which is a counter.

Smoke bomb is excellent, Smoke players need to realise that. Reptiles elbow is just annoying in the same way hellfire or a random slide is. It's not a 'great move' like the before mentioned stuff.

Kitana's iaf is a pretty good special as well.