What's new

Best rivalry introduced in the new timeline to continue in MK11? Kotal Kahn v Rain? Reiko v Kotal?

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
You might not know this but the comic was written after MKX was already done. That's how you get things like Kotal and Goro not having any beef with each other in dialogue, Erron/Kano not acknowledging Erron's history of being in Black Dragon, and Cassie/Jacqui "not remembering" that time Erron and Kano kidnapped them and took them to Outworld.
I know, but even in the comics Sub-Zero doesn't really have beef with Kano after snapping out of his bloodlust.

Damnit Matteo.....the roster is not official yet so how are we gonna say what our best rivalry is if the full story hasn't been introduced yet?....*face palm*

Chill making threads, man. Seriously.
Who gives a fuck dude the point of forums is for people to post and read, mattteo can make a thread about what Ed boons farts smell like, if you're on here you're here to read what people have to say.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
I know, but even in the comics Sub-Zero doesn't really have beef with Kano after snapping out of his bloodlust.
Well they never see each other again in the comic after that so it's not as though there's any opportunity for that beef to be shown.

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
Kano almost rips out Sub-Zero's FUCKING EYE, LEAVES A PERMANENT SCAR OVER HIS FACE, and that's somehow not enough to create a rivalry for all you goobers. Y'all are nuts.

Kano vs Sub-Zero
Raiden vs Liu Kang
Johnny vs Liu Kang (potentially... I'd love to see the face off between Earthrealm's actual champ, and Earthrealm's "destined but didn't happen" champ).

Im gonna go further and derail this thread and say ; Kang is a current champ, two time defender of the title even while dead since there was no tounaments after. Johhny didnt won any tournaments, making him not a champion, but a hero who accidentaly beat up Shinnok with his Mary Sue power up :p

mattteo

Noob
You might not know this but the comic was written after MKX was already done. That's how you get things like Kotal and Goro not having any beef with each other in dialogue, Erron/Kano not acknowledging Erron's history of being in Black Dragon, and Cassie/Jacqui "not remembering" that time Erron and Kano kidnapped them and took them to Outworld.

Cassie and Jacqui know they were abducted and taken through a portal. They wouldn't know where they were and they were under Havik's spell half the time. On Shang Tsung's island, a place between realms, not in Outworld.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
Well they never see each other again in the comic after that so it's not as though there's any opportunity for that beef to be shown.
That's... an odd point. I get what you mean, but at the same time... this was a decision made by the writers. They could've decided that Subbie would be all "Hey, that guy who cut my face and made me all crazy and froze an entire city... fuck that guy! I'm gonna go kill him!", but they just never went down that road.

That's a good idea of thread, we have nothing new to discuss until Thursday, so why not. I don't understand the reactions here.

I can't wait for the rivalry between the old and younger Johnny Cage.

Wanna bet they're gonna be best buds, older Johnny giving tips to younger Johnny. XD

O. Johnny: "When you meet a girl, don't kick her ass."
Y. Johnny: "Y'sure? That's my go-to move!"
O. Johnny: "Just trust me on this one."
Yeah maybe, but I"m sure Johnny will still kick the ass of younger Johnny because he'll trashtalk Sonya or Cassie :D

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
I was hoping to see Tanya and Rain forced to job for Kotal as his prisoners but it looks like Tanya at least is sitting out.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
Raiden Vs the MK universe. All timelines.. he actually looks powerful this time around too, I’m hyped to see him crush people and get his ass kicked.

pure.Wasted

That's... an odd point. I get what you mean, but at the same time... this was a decision made by the writers. They could've decided that Subbie would be all "Hey, that guy who cut my face and made me all crazy and froze an entire city... fuck that guy! I'm gonna go kill him!", but they just never went down that road.
I don't think it's odd at all, because every story is finite. Writers have only so much space to work with. Kano vs Sonya and Raiden vs Liu Kang are two huge rivalries that get absolutely zero playtime or acknowledgment in the MKX comic. Does their absence make you think the characters have gotten over all their problems? No, of course not. The comic just didn't have the time to address them.

Kano is the reason Sub-Zero (one of MK's big 3) has his iconic scar in this new timeline. If that's not a big deal, that's criminal.

pure.Wasted

He's just a random thug in comparison.
Well first of all, I don't see how that's true in either timeline. Objectively speaking, in the new timeline Kano has already done far more, and his feats are far more impressive, than the vast majority of the MK9/MKX roster. Either personally -- he managed to bypass Raiden's wards to steal Shinnok's amulet, and the traps he left behind were strong enough to incapacitate Raiden for a long time. How many characters can boast that kind of power? -- or as leader of the Black Dragon, in which capacity he has bossed Kabal, Tremor, and Erron Black around. If he's just a random thug despite telling them all what to do, what does that make them?

But second, and more importantly...

always liked the idea of it being Sektor who gave him that scar, which also makes more sense, as he's an actual rival to Sub-Zero.
Following this philosophy, any underdeveloped characters would remain underdeveloped, and only those characters who are already developed would continue receiving development. It's nonsense. You have to start somewhere with everyone.

Sektor giving Sub-Zero his scar is pointless because it develops a rivalry that doesn't need any development at this point. We already know that Sektor and Sub-Zero hate one another. They already have a very long history together. The scar adds nothing to that story. Aren't you tired of seeing Sub-Zero fight Sektor? Aren't you tired of seeing Kano fight Sonya? The way to breathe new life into those characters is to use them to tell new stories. And to do that, they have to get pissed at characters they've never been pissed at before.

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.
Kotak vs Rain for sure, as that would mean Rain is in the game :D

Also, Frost vs Cassie would be fun. There's some bad blood (from the comics).

pure.Wasted

Im gonna go further and derail this thread and say ; Kang is a current champ, two time defender of the title even while dead since there was no tounaments after. Johhny didnt won any tournaments, making him not a champion
Let's not pretend that the term "champion" has a strict definition in the MK universe. Scorpion was the Elder Gods' Champion in the original timeline and he's never won shit either.

a hero who accidentaly beat up Shinnok with his Mary Sue power up :p
Bro, you're gonna talk to me about Mary Sues in a paragraph where you defend Liu Kang's qualifications? :p

Liu Kang is the biggest Mary Sue ever. His defining character trait is literally "being the best at everything always." He beats SHAO KAHN with a PUNCH TO THE CHEST. Something RAIDEN couldn't do until he got pumped full of Elder God juice. Johnny's green powers going super saiyan is perfectly par for the course.