What's new

Best NRS game of the Decade?

Which is the best NRS game of the decade?

• MK9

Votes: 94 42.7%
  • Injustice:Gods Among Us

Votes: 10 4.5%
  • MKX

Votes: 36 16.4%
  • Injustice 2

Votes: 18 8.2%
  • MK 11

Votes: 50 22.7%
  • Undecided too close to call for me

Votes: 12 5.5%

• Total voters

migosan

MK Philippines / Injustice Philippines
i could play mk9 for days and not get tired of it, the same cannot be said when i'm playing injustice 2 or mk11 it just felt a little stale or off or something, i don't know i just felt that NRS got it right in their first going and went wild with their experiments after hahaah.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I definitely had the most fun with MKX. I've never played another fighting game where I was so interested in learning so many characters. It always felt like there was something sick to discover. Even now I kinda feel off for not trying out everyone I wanted to.

Complete opposite with MK11
Ayyee!! We got someone who liked MK X! lol I almost forgot about MK X here

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
This is good that you and many others really believe that this game is the best of all the past NRS efforts. With this much support you can easily get a solid scene going for MK9 with little effort, since it is the best after all.

If I don't see the revival of this game with as many of you that believe in it, then I will chalk it up to my previous statement. Nothing but rose tinted glasses. Any game, regardless of its age can have a healthy scene full of supporters. I'm not knocking anyone that likes MK9. I love the game for what it is, but I do not believe it is the best in terms of gameplay or fun. If it was, I would be seeing a lot of recent tournament footage on YouTube. But hey, that's just my opinion.
That's a really bizarre argument.

You can't compare our scene that way. MK games die and they stay dead. However, I will point to the rocking MK9 revival tournament at ComboBreaker from JUST LAST YEAR to show how hype and loved the game is. That'll never happen for the other installments, and MK11 will be lucky to see Evo a second year much less the FOUR that mk9 had. MK9 wins on legacy and importance alone. But it always wins in sense of speed, roster, music, stages, rhythm, etc.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator

You can't compare our scene that way. MK games die and they stay dead. However, I will point to the rocking MK9 revival tournament at ComboBreaker from JUST LAST YEAR to show how hype and loved the game is. That'll never happen for the other installments, and MK11 will be lucky to see Evo a second year much less the FOUR that mk9 had. MK9 wins on legacy and importance alone. But it always wins in sense of speed, roster, music, stages, rhythm, etc.
MK9 had 3 evos — the ‘fourth’ was just Pig being awesome and wouldn’t have happened without him. And almost everyone said that it wasn’t worth taking the result of the side tournament seriously because no one was really playing it at that point. Also, games don’t last at EVO as long as they used to, in general. You won’t see anything with the longevity of say, Marvel 3 unless it’s Street Fighter which is guaranteed.

Also MKX did have multiple ‘revival’ tournaments, and there were far more people taking it seriously after it was supposedly dead (you don’t remember NinjaKilla and others being called ‘necros’ because they were still playing and labbing it seriously at a high level when guys like Sonic had already moved on?)

I was in Chile a couple years ago and they were still playing mostly MKX in South America too. I’m not sure about this narrative.

MKF30

Still, 3 years is pretty damn impressive with more than enough for a side tourney. And MK 9 won FG of the year by pretty much everyone that year.

The Revival tourney was pretty awesome where Curbolicious beat Sonic Fox in Grand Finals.

MVC3 died pretty fast as I recall especially compared to MVC2's success. MK games since MK 9 has shown consistently at Evo's since then and if not an MK game Injustice. Also want to point out that FTR both MK 9 sold more than MVC3 and Injustice 2 more than UMVC3, and MK 11 more than SF5. Just saying....I know some folks go on about just tournaments, but they're not everything as WB I'm pretty sure cares more about that money than a few tournaments each year.

South America's scene from what I have watched and spoken to those guys down there keep the MK games alive longer than we do, even going back to the older MK's. MK2, UMK3 and even MK 4 @MKK hanzo

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
MK9 had 3 evos — the ‘fourth’ was just Pig being awesome and wouldn’t have happened without him. And almost everyone said that it wasn’t worth taking the result of the side tournament seriously because no one was really playing it at that point. Also, games don’t last at EVO as long as they used to, in general. You won’t see anything with the longevity of say, Marvel 3 unless it’s Street Fighter which is guaranteed.

Also MKX did have multiple ‘revival’ tournaments, and there were far more people taking it seriously after it was supposedly dead (you don’t remember NinjaKilla and others being called ‘necros’ because they were still playing and labbing it seriously at a high level when guys like Sonic had already moved on?)

I was in Chile a couple years ago and they were still playing mostly MKX in South America too. I’m not sure about this narrative.
This is a whole lot of talking for no reason because at the end of that day, MK9 is still the longest lasting NRS game period lol. Just let the people have their moment.

Damn y’all just won’t let people have an opinion lmao

mastermalone

Use only logic, please

What's actually bizarre is that you are saying I can't make an apples to apples comparison. Why are MK games treated any differently than other fighting games in terms of support and longevity? Perhaps you may not have been around during the days where fighting games from a company like Capcom had tons of supporters for each version of their games.

Players would hop from Alpha 2, Super Turbo, Alpha 3 and 3rd Strike. Each game had a solid community behind it. Why did they do this? Because those games had legs. Top notch game play and lots of fun. MK9 is fun, but due to gameplay related issues, it is no longer played consistently. If it was that good, it would be. That's all I'm trying to say. I was not out to make anyone feel like they can't have an opinion on the this.

But when we say "Best NRS game of the decade," I don't believe this one still holds up. Again, it's just my opinion. Perhaps I'm wrong but I just played MK9 online recently and it reaffirmed my position on it. Fun game, but not my NRS game of the decade. It does get credit where credit is due since it was solid enough to be accepted by the fans and the FGC alike.

haketh

Noob
MVC3 died pretty fast as I recall especially compared to MVC2's success. MK games since MK 9 has shown consistently at Evo's since then and if not an MK game Injustice. Also want to point out that FTR both MK 9 sold more than MVC3 and Injustice 2 more than UMVC3, and MK 11 more than SF5. Just saying....I know some folks go on about just tournaments, but they're not everything as WB I'm pretty sure cares more about that money than a few tournaments each year.
MVC3 did not die fast in any sense of the word

haketh

Noob
Compared to the success of MVC2 yeah it did.
Not even? It’s not at EVO anymore but it still has a very active scene & had multiple EVOs. If EVO ran the way it did now when MVC2 was out it prolly would have only gotten four years just like MVC3 did. And MVC3 is still real active in the US & even has players from Japan rolling through. I wish we had that with MK9.

MKF30

Haketh: I edited my previous post to more so what I was talking about....a lot of Capcom fans seem to feel MVC2 was a better game and lasted way longer than MVC3 did. Where is MVC3 still active exactly? MK 9 is still talked about and easily the most popular game in the past 10+ years for MK. Besides, tournaments aren't everything, MK 9 sold a lot more and did better worldwide than MVC3 did. Also, like I said earlier not just in America but MK is very popular and still played by South Americans even dating back to the older MK's that often go unappreciated on here.

Last edited:

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
Here's my classic TYM argument. MKX is the best NRS game of all time and if you disagree your a soap bar in mouth bigoted scrub who knows nothing about fighting games.
^^This

I always make sure to indicate that my statments are my opinion, not facts. I have no place forcing my opinions on anyone. I will however, state the obvious where applicable.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
^^This

I always make sure to indicate that my statments are my opinion, not facts. I have no place forcing my opinions on anyone. I will however, state the obvious where applicable.
It’s crazy to me that people will authoritatively state that a game is not fun, as if it’s some sort of proclamation that we’re all supposed to objectively agree with.

Like, MKX wasn’t my cup of tea, but I would never go as far as to say that the game objectively wasn’t enjoyable. I still had all the usual fun, hype and salt just playing it for what it was.

Currently MK11 is loads of fun for me. I can understand that not every single game will be everyone’s favorite. But good lord, some people want to show up and announce that it’s categorically “not fun” as if their personal opinion decides what the developer was supposed to make. That’s crazy.

Even the first Injustice, for all of its issues, was hella fun to play. Every single one of the NRS games can be enjoyed on their own merit.

Last edited:

xKMMx

Banned
MKX to me is everything I like about Mortal Kombat. THe ridiculous violence and insane characters paired perfectly with a fast paced over the top gameplay experience. I loved it. And in my opinion the best guest character line up ever. I am somewhat partial to these characters as they are basically all from my favorite horror/sci fi horror movies of my childhood. Honestly the best thing to me about MK 11 is the look and I find it to be the easiest fighting modern fighting game to play at a proficient level. My only draw backs have always been the pace, the mechanics and the ultra limited way you can play any given character.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
MKX to me is everything I like about Mortal Kombat. THe ridiculous violence and insane characters paired perfectly with a fast paced over the top gameplay experience. I loved it. And in my opinion the best guest character line up ever. I am somewhat partial to these characters as they are basically all from my favorite horror/sci fi horror movies of my childhood. Honestly the best thing to me about MK 11 is the look and I find it to be the easiest fighting modern fighting game to play at a proficient level. My only draw backs have always been the pace, the mechanics and the ultra limited way you can play any given character.
Yes, MKX was cool AF! I loved the character selection and the mechanics. I was never able to effectively use the run mechanic. It was too clunky for me to press the block button and then press FF to try to get some of those run combos going. Due to that, I was never truly able to play it at a high level.

xKMMx

Banned
Yes, MKX was cool AF! I loved the character selection and the mechanics. I was never able to effectively use the run mechanic. It was too clunky for me to press the block button and then press FF to try to get some of those run combos going. Due to that, I was never truly able to play it at a high level.
Yea run cancels were very hard to get down but really opened up the game once you got them down.,

MKF30

I definitely liked the roster in MK X more than MK 11. Didn't like how they implemented the run though, I preferred the UMK3/MK4 mechanic but kudos to those in MK X who mastered the cancels.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
MKX is considered more fun since there's less neutral and more balls to the wall 50/50 guessing, armored launching moves all over the screen. It was super fast-paced, and I love rushdown as the next maniac, but it wasn't a fun game competitively. Super fun to watch tho. I like the slower-paced neutral play that MK11 has but I do prefer most character designs and costumes in MKX.

I don't think we'll ever get a perfect game, but I do wish they would take the best aspects of each and put them together. It was a punch in the face leaving IJ2 to go to MK11 and see the gear system had downgraded.

MKF30

It's funny how some people assume that those who don't find a certain game fun somehow equals to others having to agree with them? Sorry but I see more elitist posts coming from pro mk 11 people than mk 9 people, as reo, myself. chrisisnice and many others in here already pointed out.

MKX is considered more fun since there's less neutral and more balls to the wall 50/50 guessing, armored launching moves all over the screen. It was super fast-paced, and I love rushdown as the next maniac, but it wasn't a fun game competitively. Super fun to watch tho. I like the slower-paced neutral play that MK11 has but I do prefer most character designs and costumes in MKX.

I don't think we'll ever get a perfect game, but I do wish they would take the best aspects of each and put them together. It was a punch in the face leaving IJ2 to go to MK11 and see the gear system had downgraded.
Definitely balls to the wall with the run and shit lol. MK 11 slowed things down a bit, I feel MK 9 is a good mix of both it's not as crazy as MK X but not as slow as MK 11 either the speed, pace of the game.

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I respect Ed for being able to experiment, but I think its also important to remember that we don't know the development considerations on their side.

Injustice 2 was a legacy game; which probably gave them much more time to focus on gear and other extras, since they weren't building a new title from scratch.

MK11 is a new game, and it's highly possible that they determined they simply didn't have the time or budget to populate a similarly detailed gear system while building a new fighting game from zero.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I respect Ed for being able to experiment, but I think its also important to remember that we don't know the development considerations on their side.

Injustice 2 was a legacy game; which probably gave them much more time to focus on gear and other extras, since they weren't building a new title from scratch.

MK11 is a new game, and it's highly possible that they determined they simply didn't have the time or budget to keep the gear system the same while building a new fighting game from zero.
I feel like they took their time with the gameplay and rushed the rest.