What's new

Best NRS game of the Decade?

Which is the best NRS game of the decade?

• MK9

Votes: 94 42.7%
  • Injustice:Gods Among Us

Votes: 10 4.5%
  • MKX

Votes: 36 16.4%
  • Injustice 2

Votes: 18 8.2%
  • MK 11

Votes: 50 22.7%
  • Undecided too close to call for me

Votes: 12 5.5%

• Total voters
Ok, so I just finished playing a long set in MK9 on the 360 against a lone player in the Rooms. Here's my take away:

Definitely rose tinted glasses. The game does not feel as smooth or responsive, even offline in practice mode. Dare I say the game seemed slower than I remembered. Even with that being said, the game was fun. That was the first online games I've played in MK9 in over 5 years.

I have to say that NRS's more recent offerings such as IJ2, MKXL and MK11 are in my opinion, superior games. Go online and see for yourselves. If you can find a match, play a few rounds and be honest in your comparison.

My goal was never to change anyone's opinions. It was to make sure we are all being as objective as possible when we make statements such as MK9 being the best NRS game of the decade.
MK9 can still be played online on a xbox 360? is that what im reading? If so i asap get a 360 gold acc. and a copy of MK9 Tournament edition for it.

Rose tinted glasses my ass. Just accept that that some (the majority) prefers the content and gameplay that offered MK9.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
MK9 can still be played online on a xbox 360? is that what im reading? If so i asap get a 360 gold acc. and a copy of MK9 Tournament edition for it.

Rose tinted glasses my ass. Just accept that that some (the majority) prefers the content and gameplay that offered MK9.
Hey, people are going to like what they like, no question. Let's face it, MK9 is the game that got us here. It was NRS's first attempt at an esports worthy game and it is a good one. I personally just don't think it is superior to their more recent offerings. It's fascinating what a budget can do for a game developer.

And yes you can play MK9 online on the 360. Unlike Sony, Microsoft takes care of the servers that host online games, so you can play any online capable game on the Xbox 360. I played MK9 against this one guy for a FT10, which he properly handed my rusty ass to me.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Ok, so I just finished playing a long set in MK9 on the 360 against a lone player in the Rooms. Here's my take away:

Definitely rose tinted glasses. The game does not feel as smooth or responsive, even offline in practice mode. Dare I say the game seemed slower than I remembered. Even with that being said, the game was fun. That was the first online games I've played in MK9 in over 5 years.

I have to say that NRS's more recent offerings such as IJ2, MKXL and MK11 are in my opinion, superior games. Go online and see for yourselves. If you can find a match, play a few rounds and be honest in your comparison.

My goal was never to change anyone's opinions. It was to make sure we are all being as objective as possible when we make statements such as MK9 being the best NRS game of the decade.
I still play MK9 today, can't say the same about any other NRS games, despite them being way more recent. Honestly it's not even close.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
I still play MK9 today, can't say the same about any other NRS games, despite them being way more recent. Honestly it's not even close.
Was that you that I just played on the 360? I'm glad you feel that way about the game. Sadly, based on my recent experience online, not many others do. I'm sort of in the camp of those that don't. It was good for its time but it has not aged well in my opinion. It still looks good, though and I really like the character selection. I got to use my baby, Mileena again.

Hey, people are going to like what they like, no question. Let's face it, MK9 is the game that got us here. It was NRS's first attempt at an esports worthy game and it is a good one. I personally just don't think it is superior to their more recent offerings. It's fascinating what a budget can do for a game developer.

And yes you can play MK9 online on the 360. Unlike Sony, Microsoft takes care of the servers that host online games, so you can play any online capable game on the Xbox 360. I played MK9 against this one guy for a FT10, which he properly handed my rusty ass to me.
This is great news! Happy to hear that i can still play the game vs human opponents. Thanks for sharing that.

It sure was a pretty good atempt as their first game. If i remember correctly, Hector Sanches directed MK9. I kinda remember him saying something about John Tobias and his position. Unfortunate to hear he he left NRS. Bc i think MK9 is kinda what is bc of his inclusion.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I think MK11 is slowly shaping up to be the most polished NRS title, but the absolute best goes to MK9.

Busted everything aside on the battle engine side, the game is just fucking fun. Not only does it hit you right in the nostalgia hard, it gives you some really fun things to do, and kicked off the challenge towers feature of future NRS games. It even has a tag mode! Like...it was unbelievably fun to play then, and mods on PC have polished up the competitive aspect to a great degree.

Nephrite

#Fujin4MK12BaseRoster
I mean, do you 'anti-MK9' people even read what 'pro-MK9' people are writing... It's not only balance or good online that matter.

MK9 had Mileena, Sub-Zero with an ice clone, Sonya with a leg grab... MK11 has Jacqui, Sub-Zero without the ice clone, Sonya throwing buch of military gadget shit around but not doing her most iconic special move, has the blasphemy of Highborn Kitana in (were they at NRS just blind to the negative reaction Mournful Kitana caused, or they just don't give a shit what their most loyal fanbase thinks of such stuff)...
MK9 has color, MKX and MK11 seem colorless compared... MK9 had some of the sickest stage fatalities, a fun combo engine, good anti-airs, footsies... MK9 had a tag-team mode giving you the opportunity to team-up Scorpion and Sub-Zero, Kitana and Mileena, Liu and Lao...

I could go on, but it seems to me the salt wall is impenetrable...

Iron Lungs

The official "sweat child" of TYM
When i say emotional i just mean nostalgia. I cant argue fun but when it comes to a better made game i think we can say mk11.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Was that you that I just played on the 360? I'm glad you feel that way about the game. Sadly, based on my recent experience online, not many others do. I'm sort of in the camp of those that don't. It was good for its time but it has not aged well in my opinion. It still looks good, though and I really like the character selection. I got to use my baby, Mileena again.
I'm a PC player so it wasn't me.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
You know why MK9 is the best?

1. No character variations. Complete characters with all moves available whether you wanna play like a tournament player or not.
  2. Best roster free. FREE. Minimal guests and full of the most iconic characters of the series. The only real shitter being cyber sub.
  3. Pokes/Jailing. If I land a poke, you gotta block, none of this mashy shit (mk11) or armored shit (mkx).
  4. Costumes. Granted the characters models are big oof, but everyone gets to be sexy!
  5. And probably the biggest one... It's hella fun to play!
Not to mention, Sub Zero with his clone, Noob with all his shadows in one "variation", Human Smoke, both cyborgs as their own character, Raiden with an actual good teleport, Sonya without rousey, etc

I prefer a lot of things about MK11 (meter, graphics, etc), but these are big reasons mk9 wins for me.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Listen, idk if he was viable or a killing machine or whatever.

He gets shitter points for being an abomination and wannabe sub zero.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Because this is Sub Zero:

Not this:

This some shit out of robo cop/sub zero wet dream. It deserves to die and never be seen again.

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
when it comes to learning the game, mk11 has the best tutorials and learning through the game mechanics.
graphics? mk11
I don't play tourney variations but mk11 feels way more balanced than the others
(played mk9 for like 3 days)
(played mkx since 2017)
Injustice 2 since launch (Hate it because you cannot pick a costume without changing stats and thus creating an unfair advantage for local play) if not for those bloody stats it would be tied with mk11
mk11 since PRE-Beta

Mk11 wins in my book

Killer Instict is not only the most balanced, it is extremly casual AND highly competitive, also it is the game I got on xbox launch day, so Ki holds a special place in my heart. so Ki is the best fighting game IMO
but mk11 is the best NETHER REALM FG

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Yeah not sure emotional means nostalgic, I take nostalgic as an appreciation for older, legacy characters, content. But whatever lol.

Ahh ok so I guess I just went on during a bad day or something was going on with my connection maybe? That's interesting how they still have the servers up on Xbox but not PS3. What about PC? It's on there still?

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
Ahh ok so I guess I just went on during a bad day or something was going on with my connection maybe? That's interesting how they still have the servers up on Xbox but not PS3. What about PC? It's on there still?
Yep, the 360 version of MK9 still works online. Xbox live service is still active for the 360 so all online enabled games for it will work unless otherwise noted.