What's new

Best balanced competitive video game ever?

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo.
Every Character could win and did equal amount of devastating damage. Fairly even playing field. Technically I guess you could say the game was so broken that it was balanced.

NSR

Also known as Futuretime23
Quake 3 is sooooo fucking fun. But man, FUCK anyone who was skilled with the railgun. >=O
Railgun wasn't as powerful as it was in Quake 2. Namely, hitbox size was noticeably reduced (so now you have to be very precise), and it takes a bit longer to fire again which means missing a shot in close quarters can be guaranteed death.
Now, speaking of Q2, while not badly balanced, the Railgun there was a nightmare to deal with, smh.

Atlhough nothing will top the Rocket Launcher/Lightning Gun/ Grenade Launcher shenanigans from 1 (specifically NetQuake model)

RL in Quake 1 was godlike, holy fuck.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Idk if you're being serious but I second this. Aside from two outlier characters, everyone in the game is completely viable and balanced.
Yea but we can't ignore those outliers when they are the likes of Viola. If we're trying to say "what is the most balanced game" Pyrrah, Viola and Alpha Pat existing doesn't help its argument. And when you have the OTHER end of the spectrum being ZWEI who was just a complete garbage can of a character (Irony being a man named Toilet played him, which is exactly what that character was) i don't think we can put SCV as the most balanced. Fun as fuck game though, #NightmareBoys #GiveUsSCVI

Quake 3.
That game relies purely on skill, knowing each map ins and outs, having good reflexes and aim, knowing each weapon's strengths and weaknesses and when to apply each weapon in a specific situation, not to mention additional tricks like rocket jumping, plasma gun wall climbing that you gotta learn. It's also fast as fuck.

About the only complaint I have is that barring TDM, it's not that oriented towards team style gameplay, in that there's barely any team mode content (CTF in particular) The game was purely made for deathmatch FFA and 1 vs 1.

But holy fuck is it GOOD.
Quake 3 was so good till, cronus max and Titan one modders killed the game with the damn railbot :(

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I'd put my vote on super smash bros melee. The top tier characters in the game are strong like any fighting game really but just the overall play style feels very balanced with lots of offensive and defensive options for every character
Melee only has 4-5 characters that could win a tournament solo with top competition. Not to mention over half the cast is unviable at a tournament level. It is the farthest thing from balanced.

I mean are we talking current patches or what cause there were a couple of dota/dota2 patches that were incredibly well balanced until they introduced new items/characters into the mix. That being said Ima just be a smartass and say SF1 was perfectly balanced.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
I mean are we talking current patches or what cause there were a couple of dota/dota2 patches that were incredibly well balanced until they introduced new items/characters into the mix. That being said Ima just be a smartass and say SF1 was perfectly balanced.
Which ones? As far as I know thereas a pool of dominant characters and instabans in every patch

Which ones? As far as I know thereas a pool of dominant characters and instabans in every patch
There usually are 2-4 top tier ban worthy heroes but in competitive dota the way the picks/bans work out it usually ends up fine. I'm talking more about patches where all the laneing formats were viable instead of how in some patches it's every team deathballs or everyone runs 2-1-1 jungle, or 2-2-1 etc. honestly hard to remember exact patches but I do remember significant stretches where variety was way higher than on average.

Is your game actually balanced If you have to ban things I don't think so
Well in dota a ban is quite often not used for balance but to make it harder for the enemy team to use their strategy. You take turns picking and banning so you both see what you're trying to do and adjust on the fly. The bans are in most cases used to stop high level specialty players from getting their best characters, to get rid of your planned teams best counter picks, or stop the enemy team from getting strong synergys. It's rare for there to be a hero you would ban simply because it's busted(happens but it's not common).

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Pong boyz:D

Seriously, can a videogame be more balanced than that? Same exact set of rules for both players. Only thing that matters is skill, there are no choices or additional tools that help you to win. Obviously it's not the hypest thing in the world xD
A comparison with fighting games would be any fg where you could only select one character.

Pong boyz:D

Seriously, can a videogame be more balanced than that? Same exact set of rules for both players. Only thing that matters is skill, there are no choices or additional tools that help you to win. Obvioulsy it's not the hypest thing in the world xD
A comparison with fighting games would be any fg where you could only select one character.
Sooooooooo sf1. Like I said lol.