What's new

Ben Affleck cast as the new Batman in Man of Steel 2

NightwingDayZero

Truth, justice and the American way.
You are all forgetting, the hero is not important, the obstacles they overcome - are.

Christian Bale was out shined in EVERY. SINGLE. MOVIE.

Supporting Cast:
Michael fucking Kaine.
Morgan Freeman.
Gary Oldman.
Joseph Gordon-Levitt.
Anne Hathaway.
Aaron Ekhart.
Jack Gleeson. For the smallest fucking part in the movie. Was cast incredibly.
Nestor Carbonell as Gotham's Mayor? Perfectly cast.

Villains:
Heath Ledger (who gave the best performance of his regretably short life).
Tom Hardy as Bane?! EVERYONE lost their shit over this. Look how amazing it turned out.
Liam Neeson as Ras Al Gul opened the door for this trilogy. HIS performance made this trilogy possible.
Tom Wilkinson was perfect as mob boss Falcone.
Mark Boon Junior - who better to portray a fat, crooked piece of shit cop?
Cilian Murphy as Dr. Crane/Scarecrow.
Eric Roberts as Maroni
Ritchie Coster as the Chechen guy.
Michael Jai White as Gambol.

Anyone remember how people reacted to Wolverine's casting? Hugh Jackman, known for his broadway musical success, cast as Wolverine. Remember the fucking backlash at that shit?

I could go on. Really, I could. I haven't even touched The Dark Knight Rises outside of the main roles. But in closing, I want to say that it is the villains who make the hero. How amazing would Luke Skywalker vs. Vader have been if Vader was a pussy punk bitch? Who gives a shit that Rocky went round for round with the grocery store bagger? My point is, obstacles have to seem nearly insurmountable before we put a value to them that would inspire awe in the audience. All the best Bond films are DEFINED by their villains.

In the end, Nolan and Snyder have yet to disappoint on the big screen. I don't think it is fair to question their motives based on a singular casting of a character, while iconic, won't be the singular driving essence of their film.

I'm more concerned with who will be playing Alfred at this point.

And who gives a shit what Clooney thinks? The guy is a quack.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
I don't know too much about Batman or Affleck...but my 0.02:
1.) Michael Keaton was lovely as Batman...great chemistry, believable. Plus Batman Returns will always be may fav. movie from my childhood with the epic performance of Michelle Pfieffer as Selina Kyle.
2.) George Clooney is an elitist who isn't really liked by many, plus he's average looking, lol.
3.)Batman and Robin was a joke...like seriously...it wasn't meant to be taken serious.
4.) Val Kilmer played Batman?
5.) ANYONE can play Batman...it's Bruce Wayne that people are doubting Affleck can pull off. As long as he doesn't try to be charming or funny...he'll do just fine.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
He has way more to risk than gain honestly, which is what clooney is saying.
This is exactly what I was thinking. Clooney wasn't really known before his horrid role in B&R and it made him known and actually helped him... Affleck is very well known and has a slew of great movies. This role will only hurt him in the long run.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
...and keep in mind, if people are up in arms and discrediting BA before his performance, he is most likely going to slay his naysayers. And I'm not even a fan...but I'm sure he will deliver...he's 41...not 21.

If anything, I think all this outrage from the internet might be the fuel that Affleck needs to do really well in the role. I'm sure there are certain things that motivate people.

I've said it before, but i'll say it here. I never really thought Christian Bale was a particularly good Batman. He was a pretty good Bruce Wayne however.

When watching the Dark Knight and Rises, I personally felt that the villains and characters that surrounded Batman made the movies more interesting anyway (Joker, Bane, Harvey Dent/Two-Face, Commissioner Gordon, Alfred, etc.).

I would personally like to see Bryan Cranston cast as Lex Luthor for this next film. I think Luthor would provide a good balance as a villain because he is a character that both heroes would be able to deal with for different reasons.

Luthor + Metallo, then leading to something like Brainiac for a Justice League movie is what I would like to see.

Ben affleck isn't a terrible actor. But after his performance in daredevil he should never get another role in a superhero/comic movie period.

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
Ben affleck isn't a terrible actor. But after his performance in daredevil he should never get another role in a superhero/comic movie period.
Wrong <3

That poster is pretty tight.
I know right? Hopefully they get the batsuit right, and it looks cool like that.... not the absolute shitty travesty we had in the last 2 movies. I have zero faith, as we know Nolan is going to be involved... and Nolans batman was all kinds of terrible. His Bruce Wayne was good though. Need a Batcave FINALLY too please, one that looks like that.

cpmd4

Slaughter is the Best Medicine
Well, maybe you dont realise but oscars dont get earned by having the biggest paycheck.
That's exactly my meaning. So you can't say that Affleck's good because he earns a lot. I don't think he's awful personally, though.