What's new

Battle of the Kahns!

stokedAF

casual kahnage
Story mode power levels are completely whack, though. Johnny made Sub-Zero and Scorpion look silly 1v2, Sonya beat Scorpion and Quan Chi, Jax beat Kung Lao, Liu Kang, and Quan Chi like it's nothing, Jacqui bodied Torr and Ermac, it's all pretty silly when you think about it.

And before you go blaming MKX's writing, MK9 was actually 10x worse if that's possible. Shit like Cyber Subz beating Goro and Kintaro at the same time, Kung Lao beating Shang Tsung and Quan Chi at the same time, it was bad.

I think the comics are much more telling of characters' power levels, especially since their writer got picked up to be the MK11 head writer. And he wrote Kotal Kahn as a motherfucking beast who ripped Goro's arms off like it was nothing. If Kittelsen gets his way, Kotal vs Shao is a proper battle.
Mk9 is fuzzy but I’m going through again soon.

I mean yeah you are right but he’s a new character and a new ruler of a realm. They made D’Vorah look formidable in game. Erron black was a punching bag too but I never felt wow this dude is a bitch. He’s just a mercenary though. I’m all in for comic Kotal. I agree.

Smoke went out like a bitch too lol. “I am smokes most powerful form enenra!” MOPPED! I get what you are saying and it’s true but I think the ruler of Outworld should be held to a higher standard.

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.
But yeah we do have to admit that the story mode did a really shitty job of selling Jin's accomplishment here. First of all, literally no one other than Kotal Kahn seems impressed by Jin's victory. Look at everyone else's face and he might as well have just beaten a jobber. That's no good.

Second, the "Sub-Zero trashes 4 kombat kids in a row without breaking a sweat" chapter was a bit of a bad call in retrospect, considering we then had to buy the idea of each of them defeating all these mega-threats all on their own afterwards.
That's another good point, and partly what I ment. Because the story makes Kung Jin weaker at other times, it also makes Kotal seem weaker at that moment. I feel like that goes to all the Kombat Kids to some degree, their strength isn't really coherent. Kinda makes sense because they have potential and strength but lack experience, but could have been portrayed better.

At the time of the fight, Kotal has so far beaten Kano, Tanya, Rain and Mileena, establishing him as a good fighter.
Kung Jin has so far lost to Sub Zero. He fights Kotal's henchmen in the same chapter, but because these are also new and their strength is kinda unknown that doesn't leave as much of an impression, plus he fits Kotal without a break and would logically have been tired. Therefore, his win comes of at a surprise.

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.
Mk9 is fuzzy but I’m going through again soon.
I mean yeah you are right but he’s a new character and a new ruler of a realm. They made D’Vorah look formidable in game. Erron black was a punching bag too but I never felt wow this dude is a bitch. He’s just a mercenary though. I’m all in for comic Kotal. I agree.
Comic Kotal is awesome! The comics really made me appreciate the character more, the writing did a great job highlighting his strength as well as his personality. I really like him, and I think a lot of that is due to the comics. Definetely worth checking out.

Regarding Erron, I think the story gave him and the rest of the team bad service as well by having them lose to Kung Jin. That's not to say Kung Jin isn't a capable fighter, but hyping him due to winning inadvertently mean taking something away from the others for losing. They start the story with a loss and never really win a major fight, thus you never really get a grasp of their power. D'Vorah aside obviously.

Will definitely be exciting and all the more argument for Shao Kahn’s inclusion. However, both have played like shit in the past. Kotal only had his look going for him, To me he was very limited and didn’t have the feeling of a powerful character at all. Shao Kahn was always shoulder rush and hammer. I really hope they nail both in terms of moves!

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.
Will definitely be exciting and all the more argument for Shao Kahn’s inclusion. However, both have played like shit in the past. Kotal only had his look going for him, To me he was very limited and didn’t have the feeling of a powerful character at all. Shao Kahn was always shoulder rush and hammer. I really hope they nail both in terms of moves!
For Kotal, I enjoyed his War God variation with the sword most. With the gear system, it's likely they will put a lot of emphasis on that. I can imagine that working well, so far all the weapon moves from other characters were pretty cool. At the very least, it seems like his design is a good fit for the game.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Honestly I’m just looking forward to Kotal, like all the newcomers besides D’Vorah and Cassie, to actually do something impressive and significant stuff on a larger scale.

I feel like Cassie and D’Vorah were the only two of that batch to actually do anything really outstanding in the story of MKX.

I'm 100% on board with the idea of Kung Jin being a powerful fighter by virtue of his heritage and training (I mean, I don't like him or his design, but I'm just saying it makes sense in universe)...

But yeah we do have to admit that the story mode did a really shitty job of selling Jin's accomplishment here. First of all, literally no one other than Kotal Kahn seems impressed by Jin's victory. Look at everyone else's face and he might as well have just beaten a jobber. That's no good.

Second, the "Sub-Zero trashes 4 kombat kids in a row without breaking a sweat" chapter was a bit of a bad call in retrospect, considering we then had to buy the idea of each of them defeating all these mega-threats all on their own afterwards.

Fuck, if Sub-Zero's that bad, he should just handle literally everything while everyone else chills the fuck out!
Thats the thing. Sub is that bad .The story just wrote him and scorp and pretty much all the acual killers in the mk verse to be downsized for the sake of the kombat kids. They could have done a better job portraying their growth. They evolved a little too fast. The whole time i wondering ,hmmm where is sub and scorp at.Lol then sub shows up at the end regulating. The kombat kids do have potential though .Lol

Story mode power levels are completely whack, though. Johnny made Sub-Zero and Scorpion look silly 1v2, Sonya beat Scorpion and Quan Chi, Jax beat Kung Lao, Liu Kang, and Quan Chi like it's nothing, Jacqui bodied Torr and Ermac, Scorpion beats Sonya, Johnny, Kenshi, and Quan Chi IN A ROW, it's all pretty silly when you think about it.

And before you go blaming MKX's writing, MK9 was actually 10x worse if that's possible. Shit like Cyber Subz beating Goro and Kintaro at the same time, Kung Lao beating Shang Tsung and Quan Chi at the same time, it was bad.

I think the comics are much more telling of characters' power levels, especially since their writer got picked up to be the MK11 head writer. And he wrote Kotal Kahn as a motherfucking beast who ripped Goro's arms off like it was nothing. If Kittelsen gets his way, Kotal vs Shao is a proper battle.
Yeah in the comics every powerful characters was well powerful .Lol tremor in the comics...___......

mattteo

Noob
I think the comics are much more telling of characters' power levels, especially since their writer got picked up to be the MK11 head writer. And he wrote Kotal Kahn as a motherfucking beast who ripped Goro's arms off like it was nothing.

That was only after using the kamidagger which he vowed not to use again and it almost cost him his life. Also enslaved him for Havik. Those daggers are not safe to use.

DoDaMuSiC

Ermac ftw
To be fair she also beat the shit out of Reptile and Ermac too, back to back.
Yeah but both Ermac and Reptile are the definition of a jobber, u would think the emperor of outworld would beat the shit out everybody, instead he lost to 2 kombat kids easily

Lokheit

Noob
That was only after using the kamidagger which he vowed not to use again and it almost cost him his life. Also enslaved him for Havik. Those daggers are not safe to use.
This. Kotal cheated against Goro.

Shao curbstomps Kotal and it's not even klose with a k.

Kotal is more a politician and the people's champ. He is very strong but Shao smashed his race like they were worms, he's on his own level. Also, Liu Kang is way stronger than Kung Jin, he's the MK champion. Kung Jin is a Shaolin but skipped a lot of training when he run away and became a thief. Kotal rigged that fight anyway to use the kids, but for example D'Vorah betrayed him because she didn't think he was strong enough.

I lost all respect for Kotal when he acted like a coward and tried to gain Shinok favor, that says a lot about his confidence in his strength. Shao Kahn would smash Shinok and it was hinted that was Quan Chi's backup plan if things didn't go his way with him.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
This. Kotal cheated against Goro.

Shao curbstomps Kotal and it's not even klose with a k.

Kotal is more a politician and the people's champ. He is very strong but Shao smashed his race like they were worms, he's on his own level. Also, Liu Kang is way stronger than Kung Jin, he's the MK champion. Kung Jin is a Shaolin but skipped a lot of training when he run away and became a thief. Kotal rigged that fight anyway to use the kids, but for example D'Vorah betrayed him because she didn't think he was strong enough.

I lost all respect for Kotal when he acted like a coward and tried to gain Shinok favor, that says a lot about his confidence in his strength. Shao Kahn would smash Shinok and it was hinted that was Quan Chi's backup plan if things didn't go his way with him.
"Cheating" is a very loosely defined concept in the MK universe though. Like is Hanzo cheating when he draws on the powers of Scorpion? Are Johnny/Cassie Cheating when they go super saiyan? Those are not their median power levels but they do have access to them when needed. Kotal's concept/kit in MKX revolves around invoking the gods so I think that might be close to what can be considered his power level.

Lokheit

Noob
"Cheating" is a very loosely defined concept in the MK universe though. Like is Hanzo cheating when he draws on the powers of Scorpion? Are Johnny/Cassie Cheating when they go super saiyan? Those are not their median power levels but they do have access to them when needed. Kotal's concept/kit in MKX revolves around invoking the gods so I think that might be close to what can be considered his power level.
Ok, what I meant here is that unlike Scorpion and the Cages, he used something he normally can't use (and in the process allowed himself to be mind controlled for using that power).

He didn't beat Goro using the powers that define him, he got external help.