What's new

Match-up Discussion Batman Match-Up Discussion

Adam Todd

Ana-R-chY
This might sound simple but this applies to Raven and GL, play patient. Batman can't simple rush these two the hell down like he would the rest of the cast but thankfully Batman's prepared for anything. Abuse Bats and use them to punish a block Lantern's Might or Raven's grab from a distance into EX grapple for some good damage. Be cautious of the wake up specials, just block then go in. If GL goes for the overhead after his B.1 it's not too bad since he can't follow it up. GL also has a pretty weak long range game so if you'd like, spam bats and throw batarangs from full, all he can really do is turbine to get in close but you jump over it and punish. Most importantly though, don't let these characters frustrate you or you will lose. I've started off losing badly to Ravens and GL, but nearly full bars but still came back and won by playing smarter than them.
Edit : You can use Bat's cape parry after GL goes B.1. Cape Parry is so good lol

dust.

Noob
Are you sure it is ? I tried to interrupt it with Harley Standing 1 or d1 and alway eat the 3 .. :(
Yes I am sure. You're talking about 113 and not b113 right? Two different strings. The 113 ends with an overhead but it can be interrupted, whereas the b113 starts off with a low and it is not interruptible.

blues686

Black lantern
so my question is besides b2,3 what movies do you guys use to whiff punish or just punish moves like black atoms dive kick, frost's slide, death strokes air spinning sword attack

Yes I am sure. You're talking about 113 and not b113 right? Two different strings. The 113 ends with an overhead but it can be interrupted, whereas the b113 starts off with a low and it is not interruptible.
I alway eat the 3 of the 113 but I hit him with 1 which is 4 frame. What I'm doing wrong ?

dust.

Noob
so my question is besides b2,3 what movies do you guys use to whiff punish or just punish moves like black atoms dive kick, frost's slide, death strokes air spinning sword attack
1) It's Black Adam's dive kick is only unsafe if it hits you too high, in which you can pretty much punish with any combo start with 1 or b1. If the BA player positions it correctly, it is safe.

2) Frost's slide is safe.

3) Deathstroke's sword flip is -20something on block so you can use pretty much anything to punish it.

Shit just read whiff punish... uhh that depends on where you are but on whiff you can mostly just hit a j2 into whatever combo you like.

I alway eat the 3 of the 113 but I hit him with 1 which is 4 frame. What I'm doing wrong ?
Not sure what your circumstances are but you are either reacting too slow or if you're playing online it might just be input delay.

1) It's Black Adam's dive kick is only unsafe if it hits you too high, in which you can pretty much punish with any combo start with 1 or b1. If the BA player positions it correctly, it is safe.

2) Frost's slide is safe.

3) Deathstroke's sword flip is -20something on block so you can use pretty much anything to punish it.

Shit just read whiff punish... uhh that depends on where you are but on whiff you can mostly just hit a j2 into whatever combo you like.

Not sure what your circumstances are but you are either reacting too slow or if you're playing online it might just be input delay.
I'm trying it in pratice mode :( must be reacting too slow I guess .. Do you have a video of someone doing it ?

Adam Todd

Ana-R-chY
There are a couple of match ups I'm starting to hate and wanted to see if anyone felt similar. Doomsday, Raven, Nightwing, and Aquaman are my least favorite match ups so far. I think this game might be well balanced only cause nearly everyone has cheap stuff, but the above four frustrate me the most. Doomsday is plain annoying to fight, Raven will get bodied once you're in but fighting through her gauntlet or projectiles and possible grabs is hard enough, Nightwing has staff stance lol, and Aquaman's normals beat out ours in range.

Edit : And Mirror Matches lol I don't know why, but batman mirrors aren't fun for me. I usually switch to Nightwing, Black Adam, or Superman if I play one.

I've been working on the Doomsday matchup a bit lately. When he has armor on, mash d1 when within range, otherwise just pushblock - I think saving your meter to deal with trait in this way is absolutely key. I haven't found much else Batman can do, unless you want to waste bats just to keep him at bay for a small amount of time.

Without trait, he's a sitting duck for your crossup games unless he uses meter to get out. This is a match where my main focus with the bats is getting in, as you either get free mixups/pressure or make him waste his all-important meter to get out via MB shoulder charge or pushblocking.

Oh yeah, and don't get too greedy with jumpins after knockdowns. Wakeup supernova and AA grab will make you pay for that one. I believe the safest meaty attack is b1 and its related strings, as this game seems to have a bug where low attacks force the opponent to block BEFORE they can do a wakeup attack.

Finally, a VERY important recent change to this matchup which I just worked out in training mode: thanks to the patch nerf on splash hitbox, Batman can actually AA it on reaction now! He still can't consistently beat it, mind you, but he can consistently beat or trade with it if you have the proper timing. By far the best option for this is d2, as even a trade allows you to score a full combo (123 into b23 or b2 -> EX grapple etc.). Countering his splash with d2 will require some grinding in training mode to get the timing down, but once you get the feel for it you will be able to do this in real matches!

As for the Aquaman matchup, I'm still trying to figure it out as well. Never, ever try to fight him at midrange, and don't go for crossups in the middle of your pressure until you have him completely scared of your other options (so he'll be less likely to react with uppercut). It can be tempting to try and jump over his big pokes to land a bnb, but that's a guessing game not really in your favor since you run the risk of eating uppercut into his bnb. There may be some potential in whiff punishing with b3, but I'm not sure if you can hang outside his best range and still have it connect. The way I see this match atm is, hang back and keep trying to get in with bats. A good Aquaman will likely pushblock quite a bit, but just stay persistent until he can't or doesn't do that. When trying to land a combo, I tend to stick with b113 since it's safe and harder for Aquaman to escape with trait than 123 (since the first 2 hits are harder to react to). Unfortunately that's about all I have for now!

blues686

Black lantern
Yea its official, nightwing and black adam are 6-4 match ups against batman. Those fights are randomly hard

Adam Todd

Ana-R-chY
Yea its official, nightwing and black adam are 6-4 match ups against batman. Those fights are randomly hard
Black Adam's only bad at full screen. Once we get in, he doesn't have a lot of options. I play all three of those characters and I do think Nightwing bests Batman.

After watching some Batman vs Cyborg videos. It should be possible to straight grapple Target Acquired on reaction. Depending on how close you are, you can tag Cyborg during recovery frames or if youre full screen you can tag him if he tries to nova blaster or instant air nova blaster right after.

Okay, humor me. What the fuck is Batman supposed to do against Killer Frost exactly? Or rather, what CAN he do? I'm stumped in this match-up.

feedyourcatbro

Meow Lin
Okay, humor me. What the fuck is Batman supposed to do against Killer Frost exactly? Or rather, what CAN he do? I'm stumped in this match-up.
I'm not exactly sure. From what I've noticed, her d2 bops jumps extremely easy, she can pretty effortlessly deal with batarang zoning, and she hits like a truck with combos that lead into a free 50/50.

I will say this, using d1 as well as b1 strings helped keep her honest, a string KFs use online is +4 on block but is very slow (13f start up). Also her buttons don't have the best range. Blocking low and reacting high pays off in dividends, her overhead game is very slow, but safe. There's not a whole hell of a lot to punish unless they're going nuts with the icebergs. She does jump very high and moves pretty quickly in the air, as well as having an air dash, so try to knock her down with sky grapple and see what you can get. Defensive J2 hasn't worked well for me so far.

I can't really offer much help because I'm still trying to figure her out too, and it's getting very very frustrating. She has nearly every tool in the game and I can't find a weakness.

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
I'm not exactly sure. From what I've noticed, her d2 bops jumps extremely easy, she can pretty effortlessly deal with batarang zoning, and she hits like a truck with combos that lead into a free 50/50.

I will say this, using d1 as well as b1 strings helped keep her honest, a string KFs use online is +4 on block but is very slow (13f start up). Also her buttons don't have the best range. Blocking low and reacting high pays off in dividends, her overhead game is very slow, but safe. There's not a whole hell of a lot to punish unless they're going nuts with the icebergs. She does jump very high and moves pretty quickly in the air, as well as having an air dash, so try to knock her down with sky grapple and see what you can get. Defensive J2 hasn't worked well for me so far.

I can't really offer much help because I'm still trying to figure her out too, and it's getting very very frustrating. She has nearly every tool in the game and I can't find a weakness.
As a Frost mainer, here's my advice: Mwahahahaha, you are powerless against us! A good KF has anti Batman technology. Just rush down as much as much as you can and hope for the best but in all honestly, either switch characters, or lay there and take it. However, if you're good at playing by character, and learning how to Batarang/ batzone, you COULD potentially open her up. If you play one that crouches a lot you can try YOLO jump over cross ups. You can punish the unpunishable slide by back jump 2 on anticipation, but against a good Frost (like myself) you are powerless to resist.

Fear us.

feedyourcatbro

Meow Lin
However, if you're good at playing by character, and learning how to Batarang/ batzone, you COULD potentially open her up. If you play one that crouches a lot you can try YOLO jump over cross ups. You can punish the unpunishable slide by back jump 2 on anticipation, but against a good Frost (like myself) you are powerless to resist.
I play against a Frost that doesn't just throw out the slide randomly. I did find some success in jump back 2 to catch it. I noticed that delaying my bats to cover a jump rather than saving them for combos is much better. Even better though, MB batarang is paying off a lot more. Once you're in, bully her with faster strings, hers are actually quite slow.

Also don't get knocked down. It's awful.