What's new

Baraka General Discussion

chrisofrays

Fish can hear you thinkin just before you sneeze
Been playing alot of baraka this week. What do you do vs people who low poke outside of Barakas poke range? If i was lucky i could catch them with a d3 but my moves still whiffed many times

chrisofrays

Fish can hear you thinkin just before you sneeze
Been playing alot of baraka this week. What do you do vs people who low poke outside of Barakas poke range? Theres been times whe i get stuck in the corner being poked to death and it felt like i couldnt counter poke due to his range.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
If you play Marauder and accidentally use F44 KB not in the corner you can cancel into flag, although it is still punishable by some. Flag is sort of a gimmick imo.
I wouldn’t call it a gimmick, it’s a pretty good damage boost and he actually has ways to safely get it out against most of the cast unlike other buff characters like Shao and Kotal who need to kind of fudge it with mindgames.

He also can get it for free with either FB or f4,4 KB midscreen.

I find I can get at least 3 or 4 flags out a game and the second you touch someone with it out they either try to break as fast as possible(making them an easy meal when they land) or they don’t have the meter so they eat a potentially +60% combo.

Been playing alot of baraka this week. What do you do vs people who low poke outside of Barakas poke range? Theres been times whe i get stuck in the corner being poked to death and it felt like i couldnt counter poke due to his range.
That sounds like a problem for his second variation.

In his first they gave him some really good pokes via Baraka Barrage.

d/f1 and d/f3 will take you far in a poke battle with only very few characters being an issue in my experience.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I’ve been playing nothing but Baraka for the past three days, really takes me back to the Betas.

I think he should be someone everyone puts play time into as he’s so damn fundamentals based he sharpens you as a player in general and the things you hone while playing him carry over to others.

Baraka is more of a Ryu in this game than Scorpion or Sub, hilariously.

So mk11 got a new patch and they actually nerf the 2 kb in a row bug/glitch it was fun to use in matchs and see people reactions to that

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
So mk11 got a new patch and they actually nerf the 2 kb in a row bug/glitch it was fun to use in matchs and see people reactions to that
Yea his blood lunge can be d2 kb'ed now aswell, on either opponent neutral ducking or on a failed tick throw where the normal hit and command grab whiffed

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Which buttons do you all use for whiff punishing? I noticed I tend to use b4 at max range, take a step back and do it again if someone presses a button, but that doesn't feel optimal at all. I know f4 is an option, but it lunges you further and if they block it you have to block. Not saying that is bad, but b4 leaves a bit more space and is also -2 on block.

What do you all do to bait and whiff punish?

Which buttons do you all use for whiff punishing? I noticed I tend to use b4 at max range, take a step back and do it again if someone presses a button, but that doesn't feel optimal at all. I know f4 is an option, but it lunges you further and if they block it you have to block. Not saying that is bad, but b4 leaves a bit more space and is also -2 on block.

Well if your whiff punishing then you shouldn't be to worried about blocking after. F4 into gutted combo or my favorite is forward wakeup roll when they try to pressure then your 122 KB combo as a whiff punisher. B4 is a good whiff punish on opponents pokes. Just my thoughts on it may be better options

hi guys,

avid marauder fan here. posting here since I know bone picker is a good choice for MUs marauder will have problems with.

soooo...

1) known players who specialize in bone picker aside from djt?

2) what poor marauder MUs would this variation fix?

3) the only non corner optimal combo I can think of is starter to amp blade sparks. other recommendations?

thanks

ManiacFGC

Button Masher Extraordinaire
How do you guys feel about using d/f1 as an anti air? I know his d2 is pretty great but the hitbox on his extended poke has a huge hitbox that you can confirm into f4 gutted and net like 320+

How do you guys feel about using d/f1 as an anti air? I know his d2 is pretty great but the hitbox on his extended poke has a huge hitbox that you can confirm into f4 gutted and net like 320+
i usually use Standing 1 but his d/f1 is really good too gonna try it here

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator

Sweep is fantastic and I see no reason to not abuse it as much as possible, it gets a lot of mileage on whiff punishes for me. It also has the added benefit of conditioning so I can tag people with overheads.

Back 2 is actually underrated as a whiff punish, I utilized that and I like using his command grab as a whiff punisher because it's 17 frames with wild range. Forward 4,4 is obviously superb too.

I've also utilized Forward 2 string for whiff punishing too and safe on block if mistimed.

I like walking in and walking back or whiffing a standing one or what have you to bait movement or a reaction.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Sweep is fantastic and I see no reason to not abuse it as much as possible, it gets a lot of mileage on whiff punishes for me. It also has the added benefit of conditioning so I can tag people with overheads.

Back 2 is actually underrated as a whiff punish, I utilized that and I like using his command grab as a whiff punisher because it's 17 frames with wild range. Forward 4,4 is obviously superb too.

I've also utilized Forward 2 string for whiff punishing too and safe on block if mistimed.

I like walking in and walking back or whiffing a standing one or what have you to bait movement or a reaction.
So you play bone picker? I've never actually explored that variation before. The idea of a command grab sounds great though.

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
So you play bone picker? I've never actually explored that variation before. The idea of a command grab sounds great though.
I think it's fantastic and the only Baraka I use. He can tick off of so many attacks.

His Back 3 low
Down 3
Down 1
down 4
Forward 2,2

His neutral presence is just obnoxious with it. People wanna neutral crouch the command grab which opens them up to forward 4,4 and overhead all safe options. People wanna flawless block his 1,1,2 gap? That's cool cause all other hits of the string are barely negative and on top of that since I can tick into command grab off of all those options before 1,1,2 comes out and it's something you have to heavily consider and guess around.

I think Jade compliments this variation really well. I feel like I'm playing Doomsday in the sense of when I get going it's hard to slow him down and health bars can just melt away.

It's a variation where you have to use all of your tools and strings optimally and truly mix things up and play innovatively.

ManiacFGC

Button Masher Extraordinaire
I do like bone picker a lot since the threat of the lunging command grab is always there. It's just midscreen whenever you land a b3,2 or a 1,1,2, etc. and you have to settle for the blade spark or spin burst.

tbh, I really like how baraka is designed. solid gameplay. reasonable weaknesses. i'll be happy if he gets no change at all in the upcoming balance patch (if any).

as far as wishful thinking is concerned, I can only think of (any or all) two "nice to haves":

- (base) throw damage is 40 points less but heals for (base) 40 health. not sure how damage is calculated for the kb variants but the rationale is similar to how ravenous mileena's b12>1+3 string works back in mkx; munch time = heal time.

- for bone picker, swap spikes with leg kebab. that's it.

thoughts?

KaiserWolf

aka KloudNein
Hey Guys,

Decided to post the end of a set a had online vs a Liu Kang.

I know there are some stuff that I did well but also things that I could have done a lot better. This is more of a spur of the moment thing because I want to improve and this set was stuck in my head because I feel I wasn't maximizing my punishes but was also getting caught with repetitive things.

So please, if you have any insight to give me I'm all ears!

I'll probably add another set or two on the weekend.