What's new

Baraka General Discussion

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
Anyone been playing any of the match ups against the DLC yet/any thoughts?

So far shield Sheeva versus Berzerker Baraka feels really even and fun. Her projectile is really good so she keeps up alright versus Baraka's zoning. She has some solid advancing attacks, but they are of comparable speed to Baraka's like her forward 1 and sweep. She has good staggers like Baraka too.

Obviously it's still earlier, but I like how the match up feels competitively.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
Anyone been playing any of the match ups against the DLC yet/any thoughts?

So far shield Sheeva versus Berzerker Baraka feels really even and fun. Her projectile is really good so she keeps up alright versus Baraka's zoning. She has some solid advancing attacks, but they are of comparable speed to Baraka's like her forward 1 and sweep. She has good staggers like Baraka too.

Obviously it's still earlier, but I like how the match up feels competitively.
Yea I like berserker with sheeva aswell, only really played Vs v1,V3 sheeva so far though. Bonepicker, maurader decent picks aswell.

Vs RoboCop V2 seems hardest of them cause of the lowshot but don't think be as bad as cetrion is like :D

Vs fujin, bonepicker or beserker seems better than maurader

Really hopped this was patch bonepicker would get the kB altered or even a secondary condition. Maybe next time :(:(:(
Hopefully they do make f44kb blade charge armor break soon aswell, even do what they did in patch notes of making some moves hitbox bigger in combos to make them hit as the armor break

Nevan_PTF

All your mains belong to me!
Can Baraka punish Sheeva stomp with D2? I tried to D2 after screen shake and it wasn't working. Wondering if I did it late or it doesn't work

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile
Scorpion's burning spear damage buff recovery: 47 Enhanced recovery: 28

Kotal's damage buff totem recovery that can stack 3 times: 41

Lui Kang's damage buff that also gives him a threeway teleport mix up recovery: 31

Baraka's damage buff flag recovery: 60

Just sayin..
And it disappears during the span of one chop chop blades.

And it adds only an extra 3-4%.

And the only way to safely place it outside of fatal blow requires you to knock the opponent full screen.

It's shit.

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
Whats up with baraka-serker (bf3) not being able to be amplified when used in customs?? That can't be intentional. Its super annoying
Do you have blade charge also equipped with it?

I think you have to have both equipped for it to work on amplify.

Do you have blade charge also equipped with it?

I think you have to have both equipped for it to work on amplify.
Oh, huh. No I do not. I didn't realize they were connected (other than visually). Thats kinda disappointing in terms of creativity for fun Baraka custom loadouts :/. Thank you for enlightening me tho

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
Oh, huh. No I do not. I didn't realize they were connected (other than visually). Thats kinda disappointing in terms of creativity for fun Baraka custom loadouts :/. Thank you for enlightening me tho
I feel like there's fun stuff with armored shield dash, I'd tweak and experiment and mix and match.

If you want a safe on block special leg kebob does that and it's only one slot and closes the gaps in some thing and lead to a KB to punish people trying to flawless block some of his gaps too.

Command grab and leg kebob is nice if you want a petty mix up game, I think this is great and if we ever get customs tourney legal this will probably be my go to move combo.

I like leg kebob better with command gran than the spikes because spikes sometimes whiffs on certain strings leaving you punishable plus no KB, but then it has some good anti-air applications so it's a matter of weighing pros and cons.

Syzoth

If you want a safe on block special leg kebob does that and it's only one slot and closes the gaps in some thing and lead to a KB to punish people trying to flawless block some of his gaps too.
Leg Kebob cannot be used to punish people going for flawless blocks and lead into a Krushing blow.

11 leg kebob and 112 can both be low blocked, no mixup here and no reason to be hit by it.

12 leg kebob and 122 does not KB if the opponent stands blocking it.

B31 leg kebob and B312 does not KB if the opponent stands blocking it.

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
Leg Kebob cannot be used to punish people going for flawless blocks and lead into a Krushing blow.

11 leg kebob and 112 can both be low blocked, no mixup here and no reason to be hit by it.

12 leg kebob and 122 does not KB if the opponent stands blocking it.

B31 leg kebob and B312 does not KB if the opponent stands blocking it.
Nothing I said was inaccurate. No kidding you can low block it lol. People trying to flawless block forward 2,1,2 get kb'd and I've done it many times due to the requirements for the crushing blow. No reason to be mentioning back 3,1, leg kebob versus the overhead when there's not a gap there anyway making it not applicable to what I said. Even if the person just low blocks, you win because they have conceded checking your plus string and you're still safe.

Last edited:

1man3letters

Nothing I said was inaccurate. No kidding you can low block it lol. People trying to flawless block forward 2,1,2 get kb'd and I've done it many times due to the requirements for the crushing blow. No reason to be mentioning back 3,1, leg kebob versus the overhead when there's not a gap there anyway making it not applicable to what I said. Even if the person just low blocks, you win because they have conceded checking your plus string and you're still safe.
People getting kb'ed from trying to flawless block f212 just people with bad matchup knowledge tbh.

Requirement is to hit stand blocking opponent,
Its kind of muscle memory for alot of people to try flawless block a hit standing as it easier/faster to go to press up from neutral than from holding down.

Just against baraka just have to train yourself to flawless block the f212 low blocking then KB doesn't trigger even if they hit by it.
Think that's what @Syzoth trying to say

Syzoth

People getting kb'ed from trying to flawless block f212 just people with bad matchup knowledge tbh.

Requirement is to hit stand blocking opponent,
Its kind of muscle memory for alot of people to try flawless block a hit standing as it easier/faster to go to press up from neutral than from holding down.

Just against baraka just have to train yourself to flawless block the f212 low blocking then KB doesn't trigger even if they hit by it.
Think that's what @Syzoth trying to say
You're better at words than me. ‍♂

There's no reason for them to flawless block standing here.

Kitana downplayers pretend Semij doesn't exist, Jade down players pretend KitanaPrime and Illusions don't exist, Scorpion downplayers pretend Avirk doesn't exist, Robocop downplayers pretend Sooneo doesn't exist, Baraka downplayers....have tweedy playing the beta.

EDIT: I didn't include Bio so the joke could land :p

Last edited:
Soooo, with customs coming into play I feel like its gonna hurt Baraka further tier wise, unless lots of character specific changes are made. Like, what are the "dirty" load outs possible with this character? V1 getting blade charge is good, but you still have to open people up with V1....Not to mention its not rocket science to know when to break away. Theres leg kebob mixed with the command grab, but a low reward high risk 50/50 doesn't seem like the answer to Baraka's problems, nor does it seem like an efficient use of the command grab. It also doesn't seem on par with some of the crazier customs that are about to be in the mix. But I for sure could be wrong here.

You guys got any interesting load outs?? I've messed around a little with the flag stuff but never had a whole lot of success.

Last edited:

The Ultimate

aka CommandThrower
We'll have to see what else Baraka gets before we can really start getting into the knitty gritty. For all we know, he could be getting buffs like F44 being cancellable.

Personally, I would like to see Blood Lunge turned into a 1 slot move, and also given a MB for additional damage. Gutted can stay a 2 slot, but imagine if Blood Lunge got turned into a 1 slot move--you could do stuff like Lunge/Serker/Blade Charge. Or Gutted/Lunge. Otherwise, all his flag moves, including the base flag move where Baraka just sets it down, all need big buffs for a flag variation to be good.

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
Soooo, with customs coming into play I feel like its gonna hurt Baraka further tier wise, unless lots of character specific changes are made. Like, what are the "dirty" load outs possible with this character? V1 getting blade charge is good, but you still have to open people up with V1....Not to mention its not rocket science to know when to break away. Theres leg kebob mixed with the command grab, but a low reward high risk 50/50 doesn't seem like the answer to Baraka's problems, nor does it seem like an efficient use of the command grab. It also doesn't seem on par with some of the crazier customs that are about to be in the mix. But I for sure could be wrong here.

You guys got any interesting load outs?? I've messed around a little with the flag stuff but never had a whole lot of success.
Currently tested the flag stuff in some sets, too slow to activate and hard to utilize against the zoners who are the characters Baraka may have more trouble against in general, but I am hoping that NRS looks at these and also looks at changing the numbered requirements for certain specials like making command grab a one slot move.

We have to wait and see what universal changes the game will have and buffs if any Baraka gets plus nerfs to the rest of the cast might end up getting.

I do think you're underselling command grab plus leg kebob. That variation is Doomsday in terms of safety and harassment. Also 21% restands into guesses are absurdly good.

Every time Baraka punishes you with 1,1,2 ex blade spark he gets 20% +8 restand. If the opponent tries to jump they can eat sweep, if they duck they eat sweep and then there's forward 4 which can lead to KB that's 20 something percent or forward 4, leg kebob. If they didn't block you have restanded them again and now you've done 30% damage plus bleed and they have to guess again. Once you condition them well with forward 4 and sweep you can start leaping on them and then they have to guess what you're doing and in most mix up scenarios you're totally safe if you play him correctly. Leg Kebob buffs up Baraka's forward 4 stagger too which allows him to go for throws or other options. There's too many variables to consider and it actually makes his staggers matter more.

Same thing with the application of Back 3,1,2 or Back 3,1, leg kebob. All options are safe on block and gapless. Baraka also has a million ticks off down 1, down 3, down 4, standing 1, 1,1, his back 3, his jump 1 and so forth.

Never have to deal with breakaway and constantly guessing with staggers that actually mean something. Command grab makes people want to press and then you press on me at the wrong time and you eat 20% and then you have to guess again and my correct guesses have the potential to loop you in the guess multiple times.

Does it make Baraka top tier? I'm not saying that. Does it mean Baraka has lots of stagger and mix options? Absolutely! We need to see how thing match up, but I absolutely love this combination and will be putting it to as much use as I can in concert with Jade and Erron.

Syzoth

Currently tested the flag stuff in some sets, too slow to activate and hard to utilize against the zoners who are the characters Baraka may have more trouble against in general, but I am hoping that NRS looks at these and also looks at changing the numbered requirements for certain specials like making command grab a one slot move.

I do think you're underselling command grab plus leg kebob. That variation is Doomsday in terms of safety and harassment. Also 21% restands into guesses are absurdly good.
I find staked is worth one slot in some cases, It's monstrous damage and has the best brutality in game IMO. This being said, flags suck all around and need some attention. If NRS doesn't change the flag I'll lose some faith in them. Edit: If they just added range to the activation of staked it'd be a huge help.

I don't think the safety is too significant because you do lose your turn. Yeah, it's not a punish but it is significant.

I think restand is the wrong term here. It doesn't launch so its not a restand. You can restand in the corner with leg kebob in some cases and I do see corner potential here. But anytime you go for blood lunge and they guess correctly you're gonna get full combo punished presently. I'm hoping they do edit some slot consumption (even though they said they aren't going to) because I want to see command grab at 1 slot, as well as Berzerker with enhance.

Dude if they give blood lunge an enhance I'm never going to stop experimenting with it. I think Baraka's lack of enhances flattens his character.

Flag plant doesn't have an enhance.
No flag based moves have an enhance.
Blood lunge doesn't have an enhance.
Blade charge doesn't have an enhance.

The Ultimate

aka CommandThrower
So...I don't know what Baraka got; if anything, from the Ultimate patch.

Blood Lunge is still a 2 slot move, and still doesn't have a MB. Blood Lunge still has the same ticks. F44 isn't cancellable. The flag still lasts for five/six seconds. The flag moves don't seem improved at all. Blade Charge still doesn't connect from a F44 KB(fastest breakaway).

I think most of what he got was just frame data changes.

Leg Kabob is -7 on block, still +5 on hit.

D1 is 7 frame startup, +13 on hit, -6 on block.

D3 is 7 frame startup, +14 on hit, -4 on block.

D4 is 15 frame startup, +25 on hit, +1 on block.

Barrage D/F1 is 8 frame startup, +17 on hit, -6 on block.

Barrage D/F3 is 8 frame startup, +13 on hit(uh...), -6 on block.

I don't know if any of these are changes, since I forget Baraka's old frame data off hand.

Last edited:
yeah, baraka didn't get anything, so far. I guess being able to jail 112 after d1 is good, but seems like every character got that. Also with more recovery on d1 in corner combos the damage for like v2 combos has gone down. And yeah I can't remember, but I don't think the down forward pokes changed??? Could be wrong.

I kinda have a bad feeling bout ol baraka. I don't think this patch is going to do anything for him. Or at least I think changes will be minimal, they're not gonna create whole new animations for like an amp blood lunge.

The Ultimate

aka CommandThrower
Unless there is an additional patch coming when the KP2 characters officially release, (there was apparently another patch that updated frame data for the KP2 characters if you got a physical copy of MK11 Ultimate early) then this might be all Baraka gets. We'll have to wait and see!

We have to wait and see what universal changes the game will have and buffs if any Baraka gets plus nerfs to the rest of the cast might end up getting.

Every time Baraka punishes you with 1,1,2 ex blade spark he gets 20% +8 restand. If the opponent tries to jump they can eat sweep, if they duck they eat sweep and then there's forward 4 which can lead to KB that's 20 something percent or forward 4, leg kebob. If they didn't block you have restanded them again and now you've done 30% damage plus bleed and they have to guess again. Once you condition them well with forward 4 and sweep you can start leaping on them and then they have to guess what you're doing and in most mix up scenarios you're totally safe if you play him correctly. Leg Kebob buffs up Baraka's forward 4 stagger too which allows him to go for throws or other options. There's too many variables to consider and it actually makes his staggers matter more.

Same thing with the application of Back 3,1,2 or Back 3,1, leg kebob. All options are safe on block and gapless. Baraka also has a million ticks off down 1, down 3, down 4, standing 1, 1,1, his back 3, his jump 1 and so forth.

Never have to deal with breakaway and constantly guessing with staggers that actually mean something. Command grab makes people want to press and then you press on me at the wrong time and you eat 20% and then you have to guess again and my correct guesses have the potential to loop you in the guess multiple times.

Does it make Baraka top tier? I'm not saying that. Does it mean Baraka has lots of stagger and mix options? Absolutely! We need to see how thing match up, but I absolutely love this combination and will be putting it to as much use as I can in concert with Jade and Erron.
I have been messing with this variation too and I agree it makes the opponent literally have to guess. B3 tick, b31 kabob, b312 gives people problems

1man3letters

yeah, baraka didn't get anything, so far. I guess being able to jail 112 after d1 is good, but seems like every character got that. Also with more recovery on d1 in corner combos the damage for like v2 combos has gone down. And yeah I can't remember, but I don't think the down forward pokes changed??? Could be wrong.

I kinda have a bad feeling bout ol baraka. I don't think this patch is going to do anything for him. Or at least I think changes will be minimal, they're not gonna create whole new animations for like an amp blood lunge.
He could already jail S1 off D1 on hit before the patch, they just made it easier