What's new

Bane Pre-Release General Discussion Yhread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
Thoughts on the new Bane from a self-described IGAU Bane addict:

1) I love that he seems to play so similarly to his IGAU version. In general, I love that NRS has managed to preserve considerable character continuity between Injustice 1 and 2. It's awesome because it rewards character loyalty and pays homage to what was an already brilliantly designed game.

2) His makeover is much appreciated. As much as I loved breaking backs in Injustice 1, I always felt Bane looked a bit goofy. The guy we have now looks like a total badass.

3) The extreme cooldown times/effects are palpable, but probably fair. There's a fine line between them being too long (see Bane 1.0 from the first game) and too short. As many others have already pointed out, his apparently superior walk-speed/mobility during non-cool down times should serve to balance the elongated cool down times/effects. It's also hilarious how floaty and slow he is on level 3 cool down.

4) I personally think most of his new throw animations are fucking sick. But, then again, I was a huge WWF (sorry, it will always be WWF to me) fan growing up. What can I say? How can you not like having your generic throw being a chokeslam?

5) I also love the elbow drop replacing DP. Same basic effect (can be canceled from d1, etc), with a new, cool animation.

6) I LOVE having a grab option off of F2D. It reminds me of Jason's B3 shenanigans.

7) His super is fantastic. Not only does it look dope as hell, but it has the potential to be a serious counter-zoning tool.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
I am just worried about some of the zoning characters that we have seen so far. The have an endless tool box of keep away while Bane has limited rush down. Having a slow and floaty Bane taking insane damage for about 12 seconds because of trait debuff is kinda scary.

I am still on the Bane train regardless.
1) Limited rushdown?

2) With the damage Bane does with venom active, you don't have to be in that ass for very long.

Last edited:
What does everyone think about the changes to his specials? Doublepunch being replaced by the seemingly unsafe elbow drop seems like a problem to me, plus elbow drop puts you right back to where you were standing instead of advancing. Not being able to mb flying uppercut into the dropkick to keep yourself safe-ish on whiff also sucks.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
What does everyone think about the changes to his specials? Doublepunch being replaced by the seemingly unsafe elbow drop seems like a problem to me, plus elbow drop puts you right back to where you were standing instead of advancing. Not being able to mb flying uppercut into the dropkick to keep yourself safe-ish on whiff also sucks.
He cant also have safe meterless armor on top of everything else they gave him, he would be busted. He already makes you guess between physical hit with armor and command grab with armor and if you want safe armor you can still mb b3

He cant also have safe meterless armor on top of everything else they gave him, he would be busted. He already makes you guess between physical hit with armor and command grab with armor and if you want safe armor you can still mb b3
I'm just comparing him now with the tools he had in Inj1. I'm not so sure that his faster walk speed and 112 gimmicks compensate for the doubled length of debuff and worse specials. But, there's still time until release and maybe they changed his framedata elsewhere *shrug*

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
I'm just comparing him now with the tools he had in Inj1. I'm not so sure that his faster walk speed and 112 gimmicks compensate for the doubled length of debuff and worse specials. But, there's still time until release and maybe they changed his framedata elsewhere *shrug*
It's just so hard to say without actually getting lab time with him, though. For example, everyone seems to be under the impression that the elbow drop is unsafe. But, how unsafe? How much pushback does it have?

What about the MB version of rising uppercut? It was eventually made safe in INJ1, which was one of the critical buffs that ultimately made Bane a monster. What about now? There are just too many things we don't know. Also, they explicitly pointed out that they didn't show everything.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
It's just so hard to say without actually getting lab time with him, though. For example, everyone seems to be under the impression that the elbow drop is unsafe. But, how unsafe? How much pushback does it have?

What about the MB version of rising uppercut? It was eventually made safe in INJ1, which was one of the critical buffs that ultimately made Bane a monster. What about now? There are just too many things we don't know. Also, they explicitly pointed out that they didn't show everything.
Mb uppercut is a grab now though, probably only comes out on hit, so not safe. This is good, his armor has the proper risk reward now and things like walkspeed with his big buttons will make him not as reliant on armor to begin with

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Good point. I think you are probably right. But, I suppose we don't know for sure that it only comes out on hit.
But since its a grab and not an attack that drops back down on them then even if it came out on block it wouldnt make the move safe it would just whiff and you would waste a bar and still be punished. Now its a real DP, use it for anti airs all day but if you wanna use it on the ground to get out of pressure then you get punished if they bait it

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
But since its a grab and not an attack that drops back down on them then even if it came out on block it wouldnt make the move safe it would just whiff and you would waste a bar and still be punished. Now its a real DP, use it for anti airs all day but if you wanna use it on the ground to get out of pressure then you get punished if they bait it
Agree

Yeah I know; just theory crafting. I have PTSD from Inj1 1.0 when he was garbage tier specifically because debuff was too punishing and he had no options for whiff/blocked uppercut, so seeing these things return but potentially more intensified doesn't instill confidence in me. Time will tell though.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
Yeah I know; just theory crafting. I have PTSD from Inj1 1.0 when he was garbage tier specifically because debuff was too punishing and he had no options for whiff/blocked uppercut, so seeing these things return but potentially more intensified doesn't instill confidence in me. Time will tell though.
Oh, yeah. Believe me, I remember basic Bane very well. He was easily the worst character in the game. (Not only did he have ridiculous cooldown times, but his dash was actually horrendous and raging charge was parryable)

I'm not going to make any judgments one way or another until I get my hands on him, though.

Edit: Also, another huge difference right off the bat between Bane 1.0 in Injustice 1 and Bane 1.0 in Injustice 2 is that the original Bane in Injustice 1 did NOT take less damage with venom active. This was something that took them over a year to finally give him and something that I argued vehemently he should have had from the start.

Last edited:

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
I am just worried about some of the zoning characters that we have seen so far. The have an endless tool box of keep away while Bane has limited rush down. Having a slow and floaty Bane taking insane damage for about 12 seconds because of trait debuff is kinda scary.

I am still on the Bane train regardless.
Bane has a FULL SCREEN SUPER. Did you see how much damage that shit did at lvl 3 venom? Keep in mind, Bane has venom so he doesn't need to rely on meter as much, meaning you're likely to have it for super.

And as far as the overhead elbow being unsafe, I don't think that's a big deal as long as F3 is still safe. The combo he got off of that was sickening and much more than he ever got from double punch. No, it's not as fast or spammable, but I'm thinking I won't mind paying that price for all the other beast ass shit he has. Mashing DP didn't work on competent ppl anyway.

I think he's looking awesome. He really did need some type of debuff this time around haha. In terms of a grappler it's hard to ask for much more. Even though he's lost a bit I think people are seriously underestimating the walkspeed buff, he's going to be super intimidating.

Edit: On the zoning topic. It means we can't turn our brains off and mash trait. Just gotta block and walk forward like a traditional grappler. Unless we get Cyborg instant airs that hit mid we'll be fine.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Other things to note:

- Level 3 armor moves still break armor, hopefully F2 and F2D still get armor at level 3 and level 3 armor frames stay projectile immune for the clutch pixel comebacks.

- We still have mb roll for zoning

- Anti air grab is still in, I saw Tyler whiff it at one point. If it works like the first game still get ready for 4 more rediculous swag throws

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Level 3 jump in body splash, 112D super instantly fries your opponents disc
what matchup to take it though

Zoners I'm assuming, since armor will be necessary for people like flash or cheetah who are just as good up close

SnowboardRX

^ You have no idea who this guy is ^
Loved what they showed yesterday. Can't wait to get my hands on him and continue where I left off in i1.

what matchup to take it though

Zoners I'm assuming, since armor will be necessary for people like flash or cheetah who are just as good up close
Yeah, probably just against characters with slow normals or who your armor is ineffective against anyway. Being a gear ability though, it won't see any kind of serious play.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
@GGA Max @PND OmegaK what were your immediate thoughts after the stream?
I was super surprised to see most of his core gameplay is the same, I had a hunch they'd revamp his trait but it's pretty much as it was in the first. The change to his bf2 animation and the fact venom upper MB is a grab probably means Bane players will have think a little more about what they're actually doing instead of just pressing shit. Digging the extra stuff he got from 112 and f2d.

The 2 new mechanics introduced in Injustice 2 are gonna be really good for bane too. MB Roll is another option for him to get around zoning and you're never really gonna air tech against bane since he's not a combo heavy character at all.

I'm curious to see if we can still super and have time to get some venom levels in before it connects, with the damage that was shown that would be really really stupid haha.

Overall I'm happy with what I saw, I cant wait to play him again and I'll be maining him from the start along side Grodd. If I don't enjoy him as much then I'll probably prioritise Grodd and work my team around him instead.

Thingy

Retired account
What the hell stream were you watching??
The one where his debuff kills his movement speed and makes him extra slow and floaty for a long ass time in a game with the most epic zoning characters I have ever seen.

Calm yourselves guys, we have not seen too much, I get it. You guys thinking Bane will be viable in this zoning heavy game is just as much as a stretch as me saying he is going to get wrecked. Not saying I am right and anyone who likes what they saw is wrong, just saying how it looks to me from the bit we saw, and what I saw was the "Balanced Kenshi" treatment to his trait. Meaning high tier in one game and then neutered in the next.

Last edited:
As much as I like that diamond cutter animation, I'd rather have the body press but it's gear unfortunately. When I saw the diamond cutter originally I thought it was going to be a new anti air grab animation. If I were designing Bane, I would've given him both the diamond cutter and the body press, had the body press be a mid grab like it is and the diamond cutter a high grab BUT I'd also have it work as an anti air throw so you could cover 2 options with it. I don't like how NRS tends to only give grapplers one neutral command throw. They should have 2 or 3 but give different advantages and disadvantages to each one. Still though, I think they did a great job.

Status
Not open for further replies.