What's new

Tech - Balanced Balanced Kenshi Tech Thread

Carmine

PSN: CaptCarmine
Well I try to mix up with grabs, d4 d4 a fuck ton and then over head teleslice to mix it up, 4d4 every once in a while, but for the most part, I zone, I zone zone zone zone and zone some more, that is what balanced does best so that is what I do most
Do you ever end strings with teleslice or is that blockable on reaction

Immortal

Blind justice....
How do you guys play around without having an overhead, becuase they can almost always block low minus tele slice, I have been using 4 d4 but even that the first hit is high,

It isn't too much of a problem becuase I play him primarily as a punish character, but if I'm trying to pressure blocking low beats grab any string off of 4 or 1so I normally just do b32 tele push to try to get away
Firstly Balanced isn't for pressure which is obvious. Secondly just mix it up. Instead for going like b32 run and throw or do b32, close TKS (keep in mind this isnt a true block string). Also try running to like half a screen and jump on them (jp1 into combo or just end on b32 if they block it which leaves you at -4, so you're safe) every now and then. Use your safe or +on block string up close. Other then that just zone out. There are some gimmicks vs certain characters but overall playing balanced Kenshi isnt really rocket science.

Carmine

Firstly Balanced isn't for pressure which is obvious. Secondly just mix it up. Instead for going like b32 run and throw or do b32, close TKS (keep in mind this isnt a true block string). Also try running to like half a screen and jump on them (jp1 into combo or just end on b32 if they block it which leaves you at -4, so you're safe) every now and then. Use your safe or +on block string up close. Other then that just zone out. There are some gimmicks vs certain characters but overall playing balanced Kenshi isnt really rocket science.
I didn't think it was rocket science, I was just trying to get the opinions of other players on how they work around the lack of overhead, so that I could level up my game, thank you for your input

Which are the specific characters we have gimmicks for?

Also do we have a Match up thread or is that supposed to be in the general thread? Or a video/result thread?

gibster13

A fan of fans
How do you guys play around without having an overhead, becuase they can almost always block low minus tele slice, I have been using 4 d4 but even that the first hit is high,

It isn't too much of a problem becuase I play him primarily as a punish character, but if I'm trying to pressure blocking low beats grab any string off of 4 or 1so I normally just do b32 tele push to try to get away
Zone them to death and stay patient and force them to make the mistake. Either b1 for a whiff punish or EX rising karma. 50/50s are not needed for this character to win. Use d4 and d4xxbf2 as a footsie tool. B32 is pretty good and can be ended with rising karma. Although this is punishable sometimes you can ex rising karma after the normal rising karma and it blows up the opponent. This can condition the opponent to block after a b32 rising karma. This is basically a free b3/d4/throw because your opponent will expect the rising karma. It is a basic mind game that does me well. His jump back 1 is insane. Zone a little bit more.

Last edited:

Carmine

Is b34 a string? Or do you mean b32, and I do generally zone and I do fairly well I'm just asking about the situations when they do get in and I get off a d1, and trying to push them back to zoning,

We have
d4, bf2
b32,
11 high
421 high
4 d4 high over head
grab

Which are all stopped by being low,
it seems the best thing to do is just stagger change up between strings or armor counter pokes, I was just asking which ones are the most effective for you all

@Carmine you forgot NJP - overhead ;-) If your opponent is blocking low a lot you can check them from time to time with a NJP ... and that leads into a combo. Anyway no real 50/50s for balance but it's not the end of the world.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
ummm, coooool..... mind posting some tech now? i dont want the thread to be derailed with a bunch of gifs, i know it is boring but i want it to be easy to sift through and filled to the brim with tech and conversations of match ups and questions about balanced kenshi

MrProfDrPepper

So what kind of changes damage wise are we looking at now?
there were no damage buffs, basically all the combos you could do before you can still do and it does the same damage minus 114 which can no longer combo into RK, BUT I will post some new BnBs and corner combos, even though the new bnb is just B32 run cancel 43 telefury, but the rest i will post in a bit

Immortal

Blind justice....
there were no damage buffs, basically all the combos you could do before you can still do and it does the same damage minus 114 which can no longer combo into RK, BUT I will post some new BnBs and corner combos, even though the new bnb is just B32 run cancel 43 telefury, but the rest i will post in a bit
Did you missed todays patch notes or smtg? :)

DMG scaling will now apply correctly to several Kenshi special. Thou they didn't specify to which ones. Gonna test it later.

MrProfDrPepper

DMG scaling will now apply correctly to several Kenshi special. Thou they didn't specify to which ones. Gonna test it later.
yes i did miss the patch notes, mind sending me a link?

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!

MIDSCREEN

f32~db1, RUN~43~bf3 (33% down from 34)
b32~db1, RUN~43~bf3 (31% down from 32)
11~db1, RUN~43~bf3 (26% down from 27%)
421~db1, RUN~43~bf3 (29% down from 30)
f2~db1, RUN~43~bf3 (27% down from 28)
b1~db1, RUN~43~bf3 (31% down from 32)
njp, f3~db1, RUN~43~bf3 (30%; unchanged)
db1(ex), RUN~1, 43~bf3 (29% down from 30)

CORNER
11~db1, f3~db1, 43~bf3 (34% down from 36)
421~db1, f3~db1, 43~bf3 (36% down from 38)
b32~db1, f3~db1, 43~bf3 (39% down from 41)
f32~db1, f3~db1, 43~bf3 (41% down from 43)
f2~db1, f3~db1, 43~bf3 (35% down from 37)
b1~db1, f3~db1, 43~bf3 (39% down from 41)

Basically a 1% damage reduction on midscreen combos and a 2% damage reduction on corner ones.

Immortal

Blind justice....
MIDSCREEN

f32~db1, RUN~43~bf3 (33% down from 34)
b32~db1, RUN~43~bf3 (31% down from 32)
11~db1, RUN~43~bf3 (26% down from 27%)
421~db1, RUN~43~bf3 (29% down from 30)
f2~db1, RUN~43~bf3 (27% down from 28)
b1~db1, RUN~43~bf3 (31% down from 32)
njp, f3~db1, RUN~43~bf3 (30%; unchanged)
db1(ex), RUN~1, 43~bf3 (29% down from 30)

CORNER
11~db1, f3~db1, 43~bf3 (34% down from 36)
421~db1, f3~db1, 43~bf3 (36% down from 38)
b32~db1, f3~db1, 43~bf3 (39% down from 41)
f32~db1, f3~db1, 43~bf3 (41% down from 43)
f2~db1, f3~db1, 43~bf3 (35% down from 37)
b1~db1, f3~db1, 43~bf3 (39% down from 41)

Basically a 1% damage reduction on midscreen combos and a 2% damage reduction on corner ones.
So really nothing to worry about in Balanced. Good news. Thanks for fast testing.

Thou i think this dmg scaling nerf is mostly for Kenjutsu and it affects that variation more.

omooba

fear the moobs
I'm a Balanced Kenshi main as well! Pretty much everything you mentioned in your OP is similar to how I play. I do take a more defensive approach with kenshi, to were the opponent is frustrated and I punish their advances with his specials and EXRK or they respect the zoning game and I charge in with throws or B3 into combos when they least expect it. EXRK is amazing IMO on wake up and defense if used properly.

I'm looking forward to seeing more tech for kenshi
my problem with kenshi is he loses trades. like the bf3 barely does dmg if u trade with anything. which makes me have to parry more. and i suck at parrying online

MrProfDrPepper

Yeah, the x-ray damage in combos is still high. Really surprised they didn't addressed this. (I've been away from the forums awhile, nice to see you still helping out with the Kenshi tech).
I wish I could post more tech but right now I'm stumped, right be I'm still trying to find new ways out of the corner