What's new

Tech - Balanced Balanced Kenshi Tech Thread

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
how do you guys feel about regular RK?

Characters without teleports I've been abusing it in the neutral because it controls the space in front of you and makes me people scared to jump in if they have a habit of doing that a lot. I'll try to grab some footage for a better example
i think it is perfect the way it is being punishable but very good at anti airs and jump ins and making people fear coming near you so that they dont get outspaced by RK

how do you guys feel about regular RK?

Characters without teleports I've been abusing it in the neutral because it controls the space in front of you and makes me people scared to jump in if they have a habit of doing that a lot. I'll try to grab some footage for a better example
Rk is fantastic. Make sure that you try to get a full punish each time it lands.

Honestly i try to make my opponent forget i have rk. I alternate teleflurry with the soul slam (forgot the name). I want them to jump in.

MrProfDrPepper

Rk is fantastic. Make sure that you try to get a full punish each time it lands.

Honestly i try to make my opponent forget i have rk. I alternate teleflurry with the soul slam (forgot the name). I want them to jump in.
teleslice you mean?

MrProfDrPepper

Yes, thank you.

At full screen i like to try and make them jump over the flurry and i drop the mid teleslice. Once the respect the range and are afraid to move i'll run into a combo/throw.

I primarily use rk on hit confirm or as a punish.
i suggest you put some RK into your gameplan, it will only help you. also run up combo/throw will only get you so far, use it sparingly against really good players because they will catch on really quickly and punish you for it

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
The combos I've been using for balanced:

MIDSCREEN
11~db1, RUN~43~bf3 (27%)
b32~db1, RUN~43~bf3 (32%)
f32~db1, RUN~43~bf3 (34%)
db1(ex), f32~bf3 (29%)
njp, 4~db1, RUN~43~bf3 (29%)
starter~db1, RUN, f32~x-ray (50%+)

CORNER
11~db1, f3~db1, 43~bf3 (36% [I think])
11~db1, f32~db1(ex), 43~bf3 (41%)
b32~db1, f3~db1, 43~bf3 (41%)
b32~db1, f3~db1, 43~db1(ex), 1~bf2 (46%)
f32~db1, f3~db1, 43~bf3 (43%)
f32~db1, f3~db1, 43~db1(ex), 1~bf2 (48%)

Last edited:

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Can we rename this variation to Patched Kenshi? Just to be more realistic about the name... y'know...

MrProfDrPepper

@RMPKenpachi @the pooper @Blackula @themagiccan2 Alright so i think we should expand to specific strategies for certain match ups, ones i think would be good to start off with would be scorpion, and raiden since those two seem to be from what i have played bad match ups for kenshi, not confirmed though since i want to discuss with you guys how the match up should be played to make it a match up in kenshis favor, if you guys or anyone else in this thread that sees this wants to throw up another match up to discuss and strategize against please do say so, because i think we got the basic kenshi tech down and discovered all the gimmicks there are so far, also @Immortal mind helping out as well since i know you are a balanced kenshi player as well, you dont have to but i humbly ask for help so that we can all help make this character the best he can be.

Zabru

My blade is broken damn right better than yours!
I haven't had too much trouble with Scorpion but I would be interested to hear what others have to say. Raiden on the other hand...

MrProfDrPepper

I haven't had too much trouble with Scorpion but I would be interested to hear what others have to say. Raiden on the other hand...
well have you faced an actual really good scorpion? My friend is a really good scorpion player and holy fucking christ he is tough to deal with

Zabru

It's a little scary I must admit. Scorpion really knows how to turn on the heat against Kenshi and the main thing I aim for is to have the right balance between aggression and defense. Your best friend is your armor with EXrk and throws. When he teleports try to catch him with EXrk, next time expect an empty teleport and go for a throw. Try to avoid tele slice because it's generally too slow and they can teleport on reaction and full combo punish. Go for pokes to try to disrupt scorpion. When you start to get the beat on him, don't stop! Pressure the shit out of him but try to do a lot of fake charges and jump overs and use your ji1 because it has so much reach and is very fast and can catch him when he goes to teleport... sometimes anyway. Also try just running up and nj on the spot because a lot of scorpion like teleporting on wake up.

Telepush is nice because scorpion really likes that mid to far distance kinda field. If you block his overhead minion try to hit him with tele slash but I'm not to sure you can catch him in time like you can with Kenjustu's tele grab. Something that I love to do is purposefully whiff kick the air like you dropped teleslash and punish their attempt to punish your "drop". Be careful though, this shit is unsafe against scropions zoning. Against Hell fire make sure to use your reflects to catch them (no fireballs for you) out and if you can convert it into teleslash- watch out for cancels though. You gotta be active again against Hellfire because that unblockable fire move but it's very unsafe. You can kinda wreck scorpion whenever he trys to flame aura with your specials... sucks to be Hellfire scorpion. And if he does it when he knocks you down you probably want to either jump on the spot when the pressure or teleport happens or use EXrk to armor out or maybe go for a poke but I wouldn't really try it. Sometimes it's also a good idea to use teleslash at fairly close rang because a lot of people won't expect it but It's usually unsafe.

You just don't want to play their game! When you feel like they are starting to go on the defensive and react better to your aggression go back to your zoning roots. Make sure to use your pokes focus d4 and b1 is pretty move also, most of your straight up zoning won't really work but if your aggression game is sharpened and you know how to duke them out you should be fine.

Raiden though...

P.S. I play a lot more Kenjutsu so if my advice isn't very sound I apologize :(

MrProfDrPepper

It's a little scary I must admit. Scorpion really knows how to turn on the heat against Kenshi and the main thing I aim for is to have the right balance between aggression and defense. Your best friend is your armor with EXrk and throws. When he teleports try to catch him with EXrk, next time expect an empty teleport and go for a throw. Try to avoid tele slice because it's generally too slow and they can teleport on reaction and full combo punish. Go for pokes to try to disrupt scorpion. When you start to get the beat on him, don't stop! Pressure the shit out of him but try to do a lot of fake charges and jump overs and use your ji1 because it has so much reach and is very fast and can catch him when he goes to teleport... sometimes anyway. Also try just running up and nj on the spot because a lot of scorpion like teleporting on wake up.

Telepush is nice because scorpion really likes that mid to far distance kinda field. If you block his overhead minion try to hit him with tele slash but I'm not to sure you can catch him in time like you can with Kenjustu's tele grab. Something that I love to do is purposefully whiff kick the air like you dropped teleslash and punish their attempt to punish your "drop". Be careful though, this shit is unsafe against scropions zoning. Against Hell fire make sure to use your reflects to catch them (no fireballs for you) out and if you can convert it into teleslash- watch out for cancels though. You gotta be active again against Hellfire because that unblockable fire move but it's very unsafe. You can kinda wreck scorpion whenever he trys to flame aura with your specials... sucks to be Hellfire scorpion. And if he does it when he knocks you down you probably want to either jump on the spot when the pressure or teleport happens or use EXrk to armor out or maybe go for a poke but I wouldn't really try it. Sometimes it's also a good idea to use teleslash at fairly close rang because a lot of people won't expect it but It's usually unsafe.

You just don't want to play their game! When you feel like they are starting to go on the defensive and react better to your aggression go back to your zoning roots. Make sure to use your pokes focus d4 and b1 is pretty move also, most of your straight up zoning won't really work but if your aggression game is sharpened and you know how to duke them out you should be fine.

Raiden though...

P.S. I play a lot more Kenjutsu so if my advice isn't very sound I apologize :(
some of your advice was good, some of it wasnt so much, but there are aspects of it that i definitely will incoorperate into my gameplan and i thank you for that. but i still do think it is a fairly difficult match up. for examples pokes, scorpion beat kenshi there since scorpions are faster, but thank you very much for your input dude :)

Zabru

Glad to know I helped! Just out of interest though, when Scorpion goes for one of his minions and you block it, are you able to teleslash punish it? If not I feel Kenjutsu has a straight out advantage here because the tele grab kinda makes scorpion shit himself when he tries to zone and now it does 13% which is crazy. Not to mention it pulls them in at Kenshi's feet giving you the upper hand. It's works very well against his overhead minion and I usually end up nj his mid minion so Inferno is only really go because his extended vortex against Kenjutsu IMO.

MrProfDrPepper

Glad to know I helped! Just out of interest though, when Scorpion goes for one of his minions and you block it, are you able to teleslash punish it? If not I feel Kenjutsu has a straight out advantage here because the tele grab kinda makes scorpion shit himself when he tries to zone and now it does 13% which is crazy. Not to mention it pulls them in at Kenshi's feet giving you the upper hand. It's works very well against his overhead minion and I usually end up nj his mid minion so Inferno is only really go because his extended vortex against Kenjutsu IMO.
no you cant, not to mention telefury in that case is better since telefury does 9% damage and teleslice does 7% also i am horrible with kenjustsu so i will take your word for it, i tinker around with his other variations but when i play seriously balanced is the only variation i play

Zabru

That kinda blows but I suppose that's what variations are for hey? Succeeding where other fail and giving a different playstyle. Anyway I'm dying to see what people have with raiden. I hate that prick.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
In the corner after any knockdown, if you think they're gonna wakeup, use ex bf2

It'll blow up most wakeup armour and you can get a full combo from it;

bf2(ex), d1~db1, 43~bf3 (29%)

If they don't wakeup you're only -2 so s'all good.

MrProfDrPepper

In the corner after any knockdown, if you think they're gonna wakeup, use ex bf2

It'll blow up most wakeup armour and you can get a full combo from it;

bf2(ex), d1~db1, 43~bf3 (29%)

If they don't wakeup you're only -2 so s'all good.
you can get an extra 2% off of that with BF2EX B32 RK F32
However it is a really tough combo to land and doesnt work on the women, so yours is more consistant most likely

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
you can get an extra 2% off of that with BF2EX B32 RK F32
However it is a really tough combo to land and doesnt work on the women, so yours is more consistant most likely
Yah, I found that but it wasn't consistent enough for me.

Also, because of the pushback d1 just seemed to work better.

Malarkey

"What's that? Something like underground?"
Hello fellow Kenshi mains.

Just throwing my one bar corner combo out there, if anyone has already posted it, by all means let me know and I'll give credit where credit is due.

Starter x RK, F3 x RK, 3 x EX RK, 43 x SC (BF2).

Off of F3, it does 51 percent, and it is extremely consistent, even online.

While I mostly play Possessed, I love Balanced for the damage potential off of every hit, especially since the zoning frustrates the opponent into making mistakes.

Carmine

PSN: CaptCarmine
How do you guys play around without having an overhead, becuase they can almost always block low minus tele slice, I have been using 4 d4 but even that the first hit is high,

It isn't too much of a problem becuase I play him primarily as a punish character, but if I'm trying to pressure blocking low beats grab any string off of 4 or 1so I normally just do b32 tele push to try to get away

Last edited:

MrProfDrPepper

How do you guys play around without having an overhead, becuase they can almost always block low minus tele slice, I have been using 4 d4 but even that the first hit is high,

It isn't too much of a problem becuase I play him primarily as a punish character, but if I'm trying to pressure blocking low beats grab any string off of 4 or 1so I normally just do b32 tele push to try to get away
Well I try to mix up with grabs, d4 d4 a fuck ton and then over head teleslice to mix it up, 4d4 every once in a while, but for the most part, I zone, I zone zone zone zone and zone some more, that is what balanced does best so that is what I do most