What's new

General/Other Back up characters to compliment Bane's "bad" match ups - a necessary evil

SUPARNOVAX

Low tier? I was born in it, molded by it
I want to see what characters people are picking specifically for Bane's bad match ups or just what characters you are using in place of him for whatever reason.

I'm currently interested in using Green Arrow and Superman. No game related reason other than really enjoying the Arrow show on CW and I've been a Superman fan for so long. Superman fanboyism is running especially high since the new Man of Steel movie is on the horizon.

Both seem to have sufficient design and tools in handling runners that kind of have an inherit advantage over Bane in general.

What about you guys?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
I've had quite the conundrum finding one that I like and can do well with. I don't have anyone worked to the level that they can be called a counter pick. The only other characters I've trained with at any length are Killer Frost, Green Arrow, and Catwoman. I like them but have put no where near the time into them that I have Bane and it shows.

I'm not so sure that my choices fill in on his bad MU's that well, at least for me but I prob need more time with them. They are still largely rushdown but Frost does have the best zoning of the three. I will continue to use Bane though. Even in his hard MU's just to get better and see what I can accomplish.

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
I'm subbing Batman now. He controls space really well and can deal with just about any situation. And his j.2 and b.23 are just stupid.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
Well Bane loses to like every character in the game, so if you wanted to pick a character to help fight Bane's bad match-ups you would be playing that character every single match and never be using Bane lol

SUPARNOVAX

Low tier? I was born in it, molded by it
Well Bane loses to like every character in the game, so if you wanted to pick a character to help fight Bane's bad match-ups you would be playing that character every single match and never be using Bane lol
Not even counting low to high mix ups, there are a lot of characters that cannot do a lot to Bane because of armored meaty body press setups. Some are not possible to escape by jumping because of stand frames or back dashing because the grab range is very extensive ranged. Wake up invincible moves soak up the armor and Bane can proceed to punish. Right after.

The only thing is figuring out the throw crush moves pretty much.

You don't need to be Bane to be zoned out. It's just part of the game. Since zoning characters can't nullify themselves via projectiles, there's always a chase going on between people like that as well.

So I don't feel that having to get zoned out is as bad now as before but it's just a matter of abusing some of the stages along with catching people with charge, f2, and straight dashing. Zoning from 75 percent of the roster isn't really bad since a lot of them are at disadvantage on block.

shad0ki11er 27

Time will only tell the Greats
i play bane threw every match up but i do switch sometimes and play other characters but i have put a lot of time in bane and i have won a lot of matches with him but if i play anyone else it will either be Flash or i will just switch to doomsday or GL

Oogalord

Noob
i play Killer Frost and Grundy outside of Bane. KF's normals aren't great but all of her specials are. her zoning is decent, her slide is godly, her parry is great for close-quarters, and she can combo into 30% fairly easily.

Grundy is worth checking out, not really as an alternate playstyle to Bane, but because of the similarities. Walking Corpse is a normal special command grab with big range and three(!) hits of armor. his trait throw can be armored and thrown into setups, and MB butcher knife is another armored special. plus, 49% for one bar off of a jab isn't bad at all

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
bane has good match-ups?
My opinion is definitely skewed due to the range of competition and skill levels of the people I've played, but I think he has a lot of them. For many chars, it's a lot harder to keep Bane out than it is for him knock them down once and slap a "Permission to Die: APPROVED" stamp on their forehead.

ForeverKing

Not even counting low to high mix ups, there are a lot of characters that cannot do a lot to Bane because of armored meaty body press setups. Some are not possible to escape by jumping because of stand frames or back dashing because the grab range is very extensive ranged. Wake up invincible moves soak up the armor and Bane can proceed to punish. Right after.

The only thing is figuring out the throw crush moves pretty much.

You don't need to be Bane to be zoned out. It's just part of the game. Since zoning characters can't nullify themselves via projectiles, there's always a chase going on between people like that as well.

So I don't feel that having to get zoned out is as bad now as before but it's just a matter of abusing some of the stages along with catching people with charge, f2, and straight dashing. Zoning from 75 percent of the roster isn't really bad since a lot of them are at disadvantage on block.

I was sorta kinda joking. But yeah my little 11 year old brother plays Bane, and he made it to loser's finals in his pool at Ufgt9 last weekend, so I know Bane is capable of alot of stuff if you put the time into him

ForeverKing

He let time run out on character select last night and got Joker whom I proceeded to body. He's salty is all.

;)

I'm not salty because you beat my Joker, I've never used Joker once in my life I had no clue what I was doing lol. I was in the bathroom and the time ran out so it picked me Joker, I thought I would have enough time to hurry and change my character by the time I got back. You can invite me anytime for games and I'll actually choose a character that I use :D

I'm not salty because you beat my Joker, I've never used Joker once in my life I had no clue what I was doing lol. I was in the bathroom and the time ran out so it picked me Joker, I thought I would have enough time to hurry and change my character by the time I got back. You can invite me anytime for games and I'll actually choose a character that I use :D
I was only kidding of course. I'd like to play some against your Black Adam. It won't be pretty, but I need the practice. I can't beat BA at all unless the other person has issues with motor functions.

bane has good match-ups?
I think Catwoman is pretty good for Bane, no really good multi-hit moves and her zoning is non-existent. Probably Flash as well.

The only match-up I'd like a pocket for is against Superman but the only character I'm really interested in besides Bane is Harley and that doesn't seem to be much better.

LEGI0N47

I think Catwoman is pretty good for Bane, no really good multi-hit moves and her zoning is non-existent. Probably Flash as well.

The only match-up I'd like a pocket for is against Superman but the only character I'm really interested in besides Bane is Harley and that doesn't seem to be much better.
I would say she's kinda even, most people would say she wins but at least you can't get zoned like you said but she has some tricky moves to stop your advance with her whip, is faster and has lots of hard knockdowns. She's momentum based like us, it can be hard to get back in the fight once they're on a roll. IMO the key is stopping cat dash as well as not getting baited or making mistakes into it, and watch for that whip trip/J2. I'm glad I got to play them, learned a lot. Venom up!

Also IMO you'd be crazy not to have an answer for Black Adam if you have one for Supes, MU sucks.

The Gabriel

Mean Man
Bane feels pretty free to Ares in my opinion...I can teleport on reaction the charges and generally just keep him out. Only have to worry when he venom x3's but even then I can usually keep him out until it runs out

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Bane feels pretty free to Ares in my opinion...I can teleport on reaction the charges and generally just keep him out. Only have to worry when he venom x3's but even then I can usually keep him out until it runs out
Its a shame against GOOD Banes Ares suffers from "I lose to Bane 7-3" syndrome which seems to be getting really common nowadays.

As for me, honestly, I have this horrible habit of muscle memory so I can only play Bane. On the upside, theres no one he absolutely cannot beat so it works out eventually.

LEGI0N47

Myself as well as many Banes here try to charge as little as possible. Too many chars with parry's or they jump it & have dashing attacks and or continue zoning. Telaport is annoying but can be beaten by a read. I would say it's like the charge if you make a habit of it you might get hooked up.

Also IMO you'd be crazy not to have an answer for Black Adam if you have one for Supes, MU sucks.
I have actually never played against a Black Adam yet, I think he's the only character left I haven't seen in ranked aside from Frost. Anyway, I only really use Harley in player matches since I am way more comfortable with rushdown characters and every time I see Supes I think that this time something is going to click and I'll learn a little secret I can use but nope, just jump back eye lasers and I barely get shit done.

The Gabriel

Mean Man
Myself as well as many Banes here try to charge as little as possible. Too many chars with parry's or they jump it & have dashing attacks and or continue zoning. Telaport is annoying but can be beaten by a read. I would say it's like the charge if you make a habit of it you might get hooked up.
Yes, perhaps my experience is against too many scrubby online Banes