What's new

Back to block system for MK11

Should the next Mortal Kombat use a back to block system?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Hell no, and not because it's Mk's style. It's just fundamentally more accurate to be able to explicitly tell the game what you want it to do rather than have it try and contextually switch behaviors and infer what it thinks you need it to do.

I've been holding back to block for 30 years. It may feel natural to me at this point but I dont think it's actually good design. Just a mainstay behavior born out of not having enough or not wanting to have too many buttons. Mk is not a six button game. We can have one to block.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
My apologies if this has already been posted, but would anyone else like to see a switch to a back to block system for the next MK entry?

Its clear to me that the back to block system is something that separates INJ from MK, and I think MK could benefit from using the same kind of system. I realize it would require deep fundamental changes to the balancing, abilities, and animations for the MK roster, but if done properly I feel like it would be the right thing to do for all NRS game. Obviously we want INJ and MK to feel like different games, and not clones of one another with different rosters, but I feel like there are opportunities to differentiate the franchises outside of the block system they both use.

On a side note, if NRS did go this route and make MK a back to block style fighting game, then do you think it would be beneficial to lessen the strength of high/low mixups in MK? In INJ2 it seems like there are only a small handful of characters that have a "true" high/low 50/50 game, and in many of those cases the characters that have them are balanced in other ways to prevent their design from feeling like a complete guessing game. Do you think the next MK should cut back on the high/lows and instead emphasize footsies, setups, and spacing?

I love MK, but after spending a lot of time with INJ2, I just cant help but feel it is a more expertly crafted fighting game. I think there are several reasons for this, but I cant deny that the back to block system is a big reason why INJ feels more fun to play (imo of course). Thoughts?
No. Block button is a staple of the MK9 franchise and on top of that, it is IMO the superior blocking mechanic between the two. Back to block is largely why I stopped playing INJ1 and haven't even bought INJ2 yet. I find it counter intuititive and confusing.

Lokheit

Noob
No thanks. Specially if back to block is implemented like in Injustice where down is block (other games have it as down + back). Seriously, in Injustice pressing down is brutally OP, you evade highs, block mids and lows and most OH are slow. Highs in Injustice are terrible (and all of those duckable throws make no sense at all as they're auto evaded if you try to tick with no need of a read or reaction) and can only be used as punishers because of this, in MK at least you had to guess between holding block and down or just ducking, here there is no interaction.

I also like to be able to block without getting too far from my opponent or an strategic position and a huge advantage of the block button is that punishers after blocking come smoother while in Injustice even after the tweaks there are still some problems with inputs after holding down or back to block.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
If you want block button because it's am mk staple that's fine but in terms of the better mechanic back to block blows it out of the water. Block button restricts movement, hurts defensive play, and hurts the neutral game

Kunta

Meta-Whore
My apologies if this has already been posted, but would anyone else like to see a switch to a back to block system for the next MK entry?

Its clear to me that the back to block system is something that separates INJ from MK, and I think MK could benefit from using the same kind of system. I realize it would require deep fundamental changes to the balancing, abilities, and animations for the MK roster, but if done properly I feel like it would be the right thing to do for all NRS game. Obviously we want INJ and MK to feel like different games, and not clones of one another with different rosters, but I feel like there are opportunities to differentiate the franchises outside of the block system they both use.

On a side note, if NRS did go this route and make MK a back to block style fighting game, then do you think it would be beneficial to lessen the strength of high/low mixups in MK? In INJ2 it seems like there are only a small handful of characters that have a "true" high/low 50/50 game, and in many of those cases the characters that have them are balanced in other ways to prevent their design from feeling like a complete guessing game. Do you think the next MK should cut back on the high/lows and instead emphasize footsies, setups, and spacing?

I love MK, but after spending a lot of time with INJ2, I just cant help but feel it is a more expertly crafted fighting game. I think there are several reasons for this, but I cant deny that the back to block system is a big reason why INJ feels more fun to play (imo of course). Thoughts?
No you're just wrong.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
MK9 did not have an emphasis on high/low mixups and was the best footsie based NRS game before I2 came along. There's no reason to get rid of the block button, fighters not only can be different but should be different. It's one of the most unique things about MK and many hate it simply because it's different.

Kunta

Meta-Whore
Because he is the type of person who loses to batman and canary and can't figure out what a cross-up is; a garbage tier human being for short. Tbh anyone who claims B2B or button block is 100% better is just wrong. Each has a unique set of game play effects which can be positive and negative.

NRS has looked at those positives and negatives making two DIFFERENT games on the same engine based around this simple change. What's the point? THE GAMES ARE DIFFERENT! Stop trying to make IJ into MK or vice versa. In reality you are not trying to make things better you want to make them more comfortable for you. Please fuck off to Reddit with thoughts like this.

Somea2V

Thread Referee
Because he is the type of person who loses to batman and canary and can't figure out what a cross-up is; a garbage tier human being for short. Tbh anyone who claims B2B or button block is 100% better is just wrong. Each has a unique set of game play effects which can be positive and negative.

NRS has looked at those positives and negatives making two DIFFERENT games on the same engine based around this simple change. What's the point? THE GAMES ARE DIFFERENT! Stop trying to make IJ into MK or vice versa. In reality you are not trying to make things better you want to make them more comfortable for you. Please fuck off to Reddit with thoughts like this.
Well that was... succinct.

I agree though. They both work and function differently in gameplay. B2B works better for Injustice's design and button works better for MK. I'll take digs at MK because I don't like it but I don't think it should change. Or that my opinions are fact.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I would love this but it won't happen. It puts me in a weird position though. I grew up an MK fan, it was the first game I ever played. I love these characters and the universe, but after playing Injustice, KI SFV etc I much now prefer back to block than button.

Which sucks because I honestly don't really care about DC/Comics but Injustice is the closest thing ill get to a back to block MK lol tbh the only reason I ever even played the sh** was because it was advertised as "From the creators of Mortal Kombat " lol

So I like how Injustice plays better but I have about 0 investment in the characters or universe. I wish things were the other way around so badly sometimes. That block button is part of MK's identity though and it isn't going anywhere.

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
If you want block button because it's am mk staple that's fine but in terms of the better mechanic back to block blows it out of the water. Block button restricts movement, hurts defensive play, and hurts the neutral game
Do not believe this because it's untrue. They both do the same thing just a different sequence on how to execute block.

And I prefer back to block then the block button.

TamedLizard

Buff George
Eh block button is fine for MK.

What I would like to see though is MK adopting some of Injustice's defensive mechanics like air escapes and pushblock.