What's new

Babeality Partnering with CGL for New League

In case you missed it, over the weekend the crew running Babeality, the women's weekly NRS showcase, has announced a partnership with Console League Gaming for a new women's league with prizes on the line, including a paid trip to a major. Dates and details below:

Titled "Valkyries", it's a 4 week long league with $100 going to each weekly winner on top of the aforementioned grand prize. It's set to start on August 5th and presumably will continue every week until September. I'm not 100% sure on where interested players can sign up, they might still be setting those details up. For more info, contact Tex Onoharu, I believe she's the one running everything as CGL's FGC Lead.

As for how to watch, the streams kick off 7PM every Monday starting that first week of August. Babeality runs Tuesday's at 8, and their Twitch channel is here. Any ladies looking to sign up for that should contact Manouschka or Llumiya for that.

Last edited:

Comments

I know man, I always see those girls get stuffed in lockers and their lunch money stolen. I've even seen some of the bouncers they hire to keep these women out too, they're big and scary!

I honestly don't really mind if they want to have an event for women only, but lets not pretend it's because they're being constantly harassed/bullied by evil men that's stopping them from those top 8 placements. Usually the worst shit that happens is they get too much attention when they wander into streams due to how much of a giant sausage fest the events are and some perverse things are said on Twitch turning momentarily into Instagram.

Willful ignorance is the ladder to the giant soapbox.
)=

If it puts the spotlight on new players, who for whatever reason don't participate in other, more male oriented events, then I'm all for it. The same reason I watch streams and online events by Destroyer, Ragnarok, Gleez, Topsietegames, et al, in the hope of seeing more talent that may get overlooked by the regular big names. Plus, it means more MK11, so what's the problem?

I know man, I always see those girls get stuffed in lockers and their lunch money stolen. I've even seen some of the bouncers they hire to keep these women out too, they're big and scary!

I honestly don't really mind if they want to have an event for women only, but lets not pretend it's because they're being constantly harassed/bullied by evil men that's stopping them from those top 8 placements. Usually the worst shit that happens is they get too much attention when they wander into streams due to how much of a giant sausage fest the events are and some perverse things are said on Twitch turning momentarily into Instagram.

Willful ignorance is the ladder to the giant soapbox.
This is a good point, men get bullied too. But you can’t deny that it is more intimidating for women attending irl events of any kind, but even moreso FGC events with predominantly male representation. Fact is, most violent crimes are committed by men, for whatever reason. And biologically they’re better equipped to defend themselves between hormonal and musculature differences (you could argue modern science evens the playing field, but statistically men are still more likely to offend). Deciding how to make the female demographic feel truly welcome, motivated, safe or otherwise has got to be a difficult task. Whether or not an all female tournament is the best way to do that isn’t as important as understanding WHY they’re doing it.

The issue I see a lot of players bringing up more than equality is the prize pool. Maybe if the money went to a charity instead of individual players, the situation would be more palatable but w/e. Since there’s limited representation, there’s overall less competition and better odds at a payout. Not that there’s a lack of tournament and prizes out there. This is gas lighting at its finest.

Common decency?
Just because some people have that mindset, it doesn't mean other people shouldn't have nice things. You can't "balance" life around the worst case scenario. By that logic let's just abolish charities because people who don't need them can take advantage of them.
I’m not trying to get anything abolished brother, I just enjoy the hilarity of modern society.

I don't get how allowing women to have their own small tournament is an issue. I mean, that's akin to people that whine about bars and clubs having a Ladies Night. Like, this is the hill you wanna die on? Really? This is not pandering, its allowing a marginalized section of the FGC (and gaming in general) to show what they can do, and give them a sort of confidence boost to try their luck at bigger tournaments.

Giving them this chance isn't pandering to the demographic. Pandering is being a guy, facing a woman and letting them win and/or going easy on them because they're women. The message being sent there is "you don't deserve my best." No favors are done there since you would be depriving yourself of a potential competitive match, and they get either a false sense of confidence, or they knew that you held back and get insulted.

Pandering is like what the Nintendo UK Youtube channel tried doing a few years back with their Nintendo Girls Club. Having games centered around fashion and shopping, thinking that's what female gamers are all about isn't just pandering, its a slap in the face of female gamers since its basically saying that those are the games that women should be playing, whereas genres like fighting games and FPSs are for guys.

Gaming is skill-based, and gender doesn't affect skill. Skill is affected by how much time and effort you put into the game. So giving them the spotlight and proving that they've got what it takes to compete, that's not pandering.

You will have to ask the boys that feel comfortable bullying and harassing the few females that do come out to tournaments that question.
Even if those things happened rarely (which they don’t), word spreads quickly about how women are treated at these events. Not only by other competitors, but by commentators as well.
The fact that we NEED an environment where women can focus solely on competition and improving their game without all that other bullshit is disappointing to say the least.
Not supporting this is willful ignorance at best.
what rubbish.

There is no defence for the bad attitudes some people have or how some people are treated, but the erosion of these terrible attitudes comes from inclusion, NOT segregation.

The perfect example is the black leagues, or schools, etc etc.... Hatred and bigotry kept us all apart, and brave souls fought to be included. The formation of teams and schools and toilets based on race or blood lines did absolutely NOTHING to help the situation. In fact it made it worse. Much worse. It was a symptom from the lack of equality, not some kind of solution.

We should be working to bring everyone together, not forming rules of segregation. All segregation does is enforce and institutionalise the idea that certain kinds of people are incompatible with others in some way. That they can not compete, or think, or are not good enough or a host of other bullshit.

We do not need a female eSports league any more than we needed a separate black basketball league. We need to work to bring everyone together. All equal, all accepted and all able to thrive. As one.

Last edited:
what rubbish.

There is no defence for the bad attitudes some people have or how some people are treated, but the erosion of these terrible attitudes comes from inclusion, NOT segregation.

The perfect example is the black leagues, or schools, etc etc.... Hatred and bigotry kept us all apart, and brave souls fought to be included. The formation of teams and schools and toilets based on race or blood lines did absolutely NOTHING to help the situation. In fact it made it worse. Much worse. It was a symptom from the lack of equality, not some kind of solution.

We should be working to bring everyone together, not forming rules of segregation. All segregation does is enforce and institutionalise the idea that certain kinds of people are incompatible with others in some way. That they can not compete, or think, or are not good enough or a host of other bullshit.

We do not need a female eSports league any more than we needed a separate black basketball league. We need to work to bring everyone together. All equal, all accepted and all able to thrive. As one.
I get what you mean and I agree, but this is not a league apart it's just a small tournament for women to be able to give them confidence and to facilitate a sort of transition to the big tourneys so we'd get more women competing. A lot of women play this game and FGs in general, but how man do you see actually compete in big tourneys? A very small percentage and a lot of that has to do because it's intimidating to enter a male-dominated hobby. I've never felt that way since I always hung out with guys, even as a kid, and I feel more comfy with guys than other women, but for most women, this is not the case. Imagine how it is for women who never really hung out with guys, add that with the stress of competition, and it's a pretty scary thing to do.

This isn't segregation, this is to build confidence to an underrepresented group and there's nothing wrong with that Babeality is doing.

Last edited:
what rubbish.

Your idealism is ignoring reality here.
The idea isn’t segregation in perpetuity. The idea is to provide an environment where women can be welcomed, learn and grow as competitors. Becoming truly competitive in the fg scene requires a lot of actual tourney time, not just logging in from home. Leagues like this will help foster a strong female base, and hopefully kill the ridiculous stigma that women can’t compete with the guys, or that they show up at tourneys solely to be eye candy cosplayers with no desire/aptitude to compete.
This can’t be an alien concept to you.

Last edited:
Your idealism is ignoring reality here.
The idea isn’t segregation in perpetuity. The idea is to provide an environment where women can be welcomed, learn and grow as competitors. Become truly competitive in the fg scene requires a lot of actual tourney time, not just logging in from home. Leagues like this will help foster a strong female base, and hopefully kill the ridiculous stigma that women can’t compete with the guys, or that they show up at tourneys solely to be eye candy cosplayers with no desire/aptitude to compete.
This can’t be an alien concept to you.
Yup. In a perfect world, we wouldn't need this since they'd already be accepted and viewed as equals in the FGC. But as the recent Smash controversy has shown us, we've still got a ways to go with regards to that since even those that can compete and win are treated with disdain for doing so.

Yup. In a perfect world, we wouldn't need this since they'd already be accepted and viewed as equals in the FGC. But as the recent Smash controversy has shown us, we've still got a ways to go with regards to that since even those that can compete and win are treated with disdain for doing so.
Exactly. I view this as an ambitious and necessary step in reducing discrimination.
Perhaps those people who really have an issue with this haven’t experienced what it’s like for females in most of the FGC. I’m sure most haven’t even been to/competed in a tourney, and certainly haven’t stepped up and backed/sponsored female competitors.
Without this firsthand experience, their opinions reek of ignorance and privilege.

what rubbish.

Please God actually learn what words mean & what reality is like. A separate tournament that's completely optional that doesn't bar women from competing in main tournaments is not in anyway segregation.

Why is this an issue? Someone gets the chance at attending a major as a top prize. A hundo every week for winning. The league is only a few weeks long and some of y'all are debating this shit like it's the civil Rights movement.

It's just a chance for women to play this game. Win a lil money. Have fun. Strive for a great top prize. Play against others and do them.

Just support the damn thing man. It's fresh to see something like this instead of the same 15 dudes every all the damn time.