What's new

Atrocitus General Discussion

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
So grr was talking about atrocitus vomit being better now in reo's stream, can someone explain?
It being better makes no sense, because it was nerfed.

HOWEVER, I don't think the nerf did that much. Even if you do fully duck it it is extremely hard to punish without getting hit by the active frames. So you can still pretty much throw it out whenever you want and it will still likely hit and stay unpunished. That's in my experience anyway. I'm assuming that's what he's trying to say.

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
I was getting down 2 punished multiple times yesterday. Not too hard to expose this char post patch. Also heard f223 blood nado can be jumped out of on block. (Havent had chance to test myself, will do so in a few hrs.)

Using f22~vomit nowhere near as effective as maintaining pressure, since window to dial in vomit is scant. Better off using f12 I'd reckon, and only fiddle with f22/f223 with dex having your back.

Not to mention these nerfs really hurt the fun factor of the character. I would rather have seen his trait get nerfed to shit with an outrageous cooldown ala Canary lvl 3 than all this bs. Oh well.

Zoidberg747

I was getting down 2 punished multiple times yesterday. Not too hard to expose this char post patch. Also heard f223 blood nado can be jumped out of on block. (Havent had chance to test myself, will do so in a few hrs.)

Using f22~vomit nowhere near as effective as maintaining pressure, since window to dial in vomit is scant. Better off using f12 I'd reckon, and only fiddle with f22/f223 with dex having your back.

Not to mention these nerfs really hurt the fun factor of the character. I would rather have seen his trait get nerfed to shit with an outrageous cooldown ala Canary lvl 3 than all this bs. Oh well.
F22 leaves plenty of time to hit confirm, just doesn;t give you an eternity like f223 did.

If you get someone to jump f223 nado on block consider yourself lucky, because they should be getting a full combo punish anyway.

I strongly disagree with not using f22 without Dex. It's still the foundation of his gameplan.

Can't really argue with fun factor as thats personal preference. I still find him fun.

I feel the fun factor. The basically took away most of the cool aspects of the character. DoT damage, really flashy combos, and you barely use dex star anymore lol. Just get push blocked lol. They made him such a bland character now.

I'll say this, the one good thing that came out of this patch is people over push block his trait even if they are a character who desperately needs meter. Often times theyll just blow 2 bars to get dex off me.

Zoidberg747

I'll say this, the one good thing that came out of this patch is people over push block his trait even if they are a character who desperately needs meter. Often times theyll just blow 2 bars to get dex off me.
Yeah I've been trying to figure out ways to get around the pushblocking problem but tbh I think the best thing is to get them to pushblock as fast and as many times as possible. That'll at least get you the meter advantage. Against some characters it doesn't matter though cause they'll have more meter by the time you manage to get back in.

Here's a good example of how Atrocitus is still very good post patch. His pressure is still ridiculous you just gotta play a little smarter and not just go super ham. Bad execution in a few situations but I had some nice conversions off vomit and shield. Btw Atrocitus best Anti air in his shield for free and people should always anti air with in if they anticpate a jump because it's very easy to convert off of.

gibster13

A fan of fans
I love the look of atro but never knew where to start.

Any guidance ?

Best Dexstar set up midscreen ?

Pressure ?

Zoidberg747

I love the look of atro but never knew where to start.

Any guidance ?

Best Dexstar set up midscreen ?

Pressure ?
By dexstar setup do you mean calling him safely. Because if so D2 is your best bet, followed by 22. F3 splat also works well.

His pressure is basically based off of doing a string into vomit. F2 has the largest range but is slow, B2 has less range but is faster, and f1 has the least range (but still good range) and is fastest. Learning when to use them depends largely on learning frame data and figuring out the best options in each situation. In some cases you can do without the vomit like with f22 or go for a puddle mixup, but vomit is standard Atro pressure.

After vomit you have a few options. You can try and beat out their d1 with your own d1 for a full combo. You can try and use f1 to get more pressure going. You can jump to try and get a crossup. Or, and this is what I do a lot, you can just walk back or backdash and let them hang themselves with whiffed buttons. MB B3 is also an option.

The combo thread should be pretty updated with the optimal combos. His wakeups are bad so you need to really learn to mix your wakeups up (delayed get up, backdash, regular get up, charge, up vomit, regular vomit, etc.) Also learn his resets as they are a huge part of his game. Midscreen if you end any trait combo with b23 but shoot a blood ball right before doing b23, the blood ball will combo on a very late frame and leave you +30 (you get a free F2, they can't MB B3 or backdash it). In the corner ending in b23 vomit leaves you +15 or so unless it's on female hitboxes, in which case you're like +5 or 6.

gibster13

A fan of fans
By dexstar setup do you mean calling him safely. Because if so D2 is your best bet, followed by 22. F3 splat also works well.

His pressure is basically based off of doing a string into vomit. F2 has the largest range but is slow, B2 has less range but is faster, and f1 has the least range (but still good range) and is fastest. Learning when to use them depends largely on learning frame data and figuring out the best options in each situation. In some cases you can do without the vomit like with f22 or go for a puddle mixup, but vomit is standard Atro pressure.

After vomit you have a few options. You can try and beat out their d1 with your own d1 for a full combo. You can try and use f1 to get more pressure going. You can jump to try and get a crossup. Or, and this is what I do a lot, you can just walk back or backdash and let them hang themselves with whiffed buttons. MB B3 is also an option.

The combo thread should be pretty updated with the optimal combos. His wakeups are bad so you need to really learn to mix your wakeups up (delayed get up, backdash, regular get up, charge, up vomit, regular vomit, etc.) Also learn his resets as they are a huge part of his game. Midscreen if you end any trait combo with b23 but shoot a blood ball right before doing b23, the blood ball will combo on a very late frame and leave you +30 (you get a free F2, they can't MB B3 or backdash it). In the corner ending in b23 vomit leaves you +15 or so unless it's on female hitboxes, in which case you're like +5 or 6.
Thanks, very much appreciated

therinrik

Kano MKX Sonya MK11
Does anyone know why pro players don't go for the 50/50s with Atrocitus very often? I just watched a match with Irish Mantis against OmegaK on Youtube, and I didn't see one combo along the lines of

f223, MBDB1, B3, J2, 111, BF1. Also not seeing the bounce-cancel combos being discussed in the combo thread. It just seems weird to see pro players not go for max damage at least once or twice a game.

Does anyone know why pro players don't go for the 50/50s with Atrocitus very often? I just watched a match with Irish Mantis against OmegaK on Youtube, and I didn't see one combo along the lines of

f223, MBDB1, B3, J2, 111, BF1. Also not seeing the bounce-cancel combos being discussed in the combo thread. It just seems weird to see pro players not go for max damage at least once or twice a game.
I just don't think the risk/reward is in Atrocitus' favor most of the time. He has OK damage output but it's not great and if your opponent blocks puddle they're going to get a full combo every time that will most likely cause more damage to you than you'd get out of landing the puddle mix-up. Even with Dex out, if you're slightly late to react to the block you're opponent will punish you.

Also, I could be wrong but I don't think that's his max damage for one bar without dex. I'm pretty sure it's f223, MBDB1, B3, J3, D2, DB1, D2, (BF1 or 4).

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
This Atrocitus section seems dead but I was still wondering where I can find some players who still play him at a high level and how much he's changed since mid July or August. Whenever that major patch was.