What's new

Atrocitus General Discussion

Bes110

Noob
Now as a player who has always been trying to counter Atrocitus previously, one of my counters when the cat was out was to meter burn a b3 or f3 after i blocked a string. This was so I could armor the cat projectile and get my hit off. Is there a counter to this counter? Perhaps a faster hitting string that would break the armor if I read a player trying to do the same thing?

other free ways to call trait include the 22 (i think?) string, and a neutral 3 mid combo. Its worth learning the 22 one, because sometimes I use that when my trait just needs a second longer to recharge.

Any free trait call, is usually a free db2 (dot blood drain thing) if trait is recovering. and that dot is doubly good when cat is out, and they have no option but to block.

Now as a player who has always been trying to counter Atrocitus previously, one of my counters when the cat was out was to meter burn a b3 or f3 after i blocked a string. This was so I could armor the cat projectile and get my hit off. Is there a counter to this counter? Perhaps a faster hitting string that would break the armor if I read a player trying to do the same thing?
Really this is only one way of getting out of the traps, or to clash or push block. This is the only disadvantage to atrocitus, with practice if you can read someone's mb b3 or f3 you can do a well timed cat shot, and this at the same time as another string will be enough hits to break the armour as you can shout the cat mid string. Plus f22 actually hits fast, it's defieving, the amount of armour I have broke through with f23 is unreal if you can time both hits to catch them just right.

Also I've just thought, I woke up with bf1 and it snuffs armour because the first two hits of the punches are fast enough to break the armour. This means that with the frame traps if you can read someone's going to do a mb b3 or f3 you can throw out a random bf1, if they block it you can make it safer with mb, or completely safe with a well timed cat shot, so it's worth throwing it out with Dex active. This is the only possible tech I can think of

Past19

Noob
Well tbh most of the top tiers besides Batman and Atro are naturally boring. That's because they have such simple and powerful tools.

To me Atro's biggest weakness is air control as anyone that can stay in the air a long time will give him trouble. In that vein Catwoman, Blue Beetle, Supergirl, and Deadshot would all be solid choices.
I'm a scrub i accept this....but I literally lost to a cyborg who just air blasted me repeatedly and I didn't think to mb roll until i died

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I'm a scrub i accept this....but I literally lost to a cyborg who just air blasted me repeatedly and I didn't think to mb roll until i died
Yeah MB roll after blocking a fireball is the key. Once you get in you get to go ham.

is it just me or is the ambiguous jump-in shenanigans way harder to read in this game compared to capcom fighters? how do you guys deal with stuff like bats jump-ins?

So how to we feel about the Atro changes? I was expecting losing more from trait than we did but I did not expect the f223 vomit changes. I feel like that was unnecessary but I guess we'll have to hold that. They also mentioned that vomit will have some recovery frames which is fair enough. I feel like it was a very fair nerf overall and didn't wreck him like they did to Aquaman.

Zoidberg747

So how to we feel about the Atro changes? I was expecting losing more from trait than we did but I did not expect the f223 vomit changes. I feel like that was unnecessary but I guess we'll have to hold that. They also mentioned that vomit will have some recovery frames which is fair enough. I feel like it was a very fair nerf overall and didn't wreck him like they did to Aquaman.
He's fine. They just want you to have to commit to doing the vomit blockstring instead of getting to hit or block confirm.

The trait change is fine. Corner vomit combos won't work as well but he still has the restand so it's w/e.

I'd argue he's probably top 3 after the patch.

I would have been ok with the patch if the scaling on his vomit wasn't so mind blowingly large. That's part of the reason I liked the character. I'm losing so much damage on combos. That's a MASSIVE nerf

Zoidberg747

I would have been ok with the patch if the scaling on his vomit wasn't so mind blowingly large. That's part of the reason I liked the character. I'm losing so much damage on combos. That's a MASSIVE nerf
You didn't really expect them to keep that did you?

Just do normal combos that end in the restand for more pressure. I kinda wish they hadn't nerfed the active frames on vomit but it is what is.

You didn't really expect them to keep that did you?

Just do normal combos that end in the restand for more pressure. I kinda wish they hadn't nerfed the active frames on vomit but it is what is.
I thought that was one of the things that made the character interesting and unique. Opened up a lot of creativity to fit as many as you could in combos. The nerf is the damage in incredible though. Like I would have understood it being nerfed some but now vomit loops are pointless.

Zoidberg747

I thought that was one of the things that made the character interesting and unique. Opened up a lot of creativity to fit as many as you could in combos. The nerf is the damage in incredible though. Like I would have understood it being nerfed some but now vomit loops are pointless.
How is there not still a ton of room for creativity though? Vomit loops were cool but they were broke. They obviously don't want people doing them so it is what it is. He still has really good damage ending in a plus restand for more pressure. I think he'll be fine in the long run.

How is there not still a ton of room for creativity though? Vomit loops were cool but they were broke. They obviously don't want people doing them so it is what it is. He still has really good damage ending in a plus restand for more pressure. I think he'll be fine in the long run.
I still haven't stopped seeing new, more optimized combo this deep into the game involving his vomit and now everything will just be so basic, linear, and boring.

Ride the Sand Worm

Atrocitus, Green Arrow, Brainiac, Black Manta
Don't get me wrong the vomit combos were broken but the problem is this is an uncreative solution that could have been handled in a way that keeps the flavor. They could have done something like reduce the overall damage of the dot by say 25 or 30% while making it not stack. Would still be good to use vomit in combos, just not more than one or two (I.e. At the beginning and end). At least atrocitus' life drain move will probably see use now.

I don't really see the point of the DoT anymore. I figured since you aren't getting the damage instantly and the DoT cant kill then you are rewarded with less scaling on the damage. Now the scaling is so much that it doesn't even matter. They should just make all the damage instantly cash out now and be able to kill at least.

Zoidberg747

I still haven't stopped seeing new, more optimized combo this deep into the game involving his vomit and now everything will just be so basic, linear, and boring.
So how exactly is it linear with replacing the vomit combos with regular combos only using one vomit and the restand? With all of his strings and all the ways you can use blood ball to combo I don't think linear would really describe his corner game. Off the restand alone you have like 10 different options.

So how exactly is it linear with replacing the vomit combos with regular combos only using one vomit and the restand? With all of his strings and all the ways you can use blood ball to combo I don't think linear would really describe his corner game. Off the restand alone you have like 10 different options.
Its not optimal at all using his trait to extend combos more than once since the follow up damage you can get isn't really there anymore and the added loss of dex star time makes it even less of an attractive option. I understand you want to be super duper positive about everything all the time because you think it makes you appear more objective, but sometimes its okay to recognize when something is bad.

Zoidberg747

Its not optimal at all using his trait to extend combos more than once since the follow up damage you can get isn't really there anymore and the added loss of dex star time makes it even less of an attractive option. I understand you want to be super duper positive about everything all the time because you think it makes you appear more objective, but sometimes its okay to recognize when something is bad.
I never said vomit combos weren't bad, they're useless like you said.

But like I just explained, he still has a +11 restand which gives him a free ambiguous crossup, free pressure, a free 50/50, or a good shot at a throw. His corner game is definitely worse but he still has a ton of options so I don't really see this creating linear gameplay. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I never said vomit combos weren't bad, they're useless like you said.

But like I just explained, he still has a +11 restand which gives him a free ambiguous crossup, free pressure, a free 50/50, or a good shot at a throw. His corner game is definitely worse but he still has a ton of options so I don'y see this creating linear gameplay. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
He's only +11 he doesnt get a free 50/50 or cross up unless you mb the vomit or do a f12 mix. This scaling is gonna hurt the most in MU's vs characters with small hitboxes aka the females except wonderwoman and a few male character because you can't restand them and vomit so you get none of those options for free. You have to go damage which is still okay but makes his corner game much less scary for small hitbox characters since your options are pretty limited.

I'm not saying he's bad I still think he's pretty good I just feel like they killed off a lot of what made him interesting such as the high creative potential to use dexstar in combos and the properties of his vomit.

Zoidberg747

He's only +11 he doesnt get a free 50/50 or cross up unless you mb the vomit or do a f12 mix. This scaling is gonna hurt the most in MU's vs characters with small hitboxes aka the females except wonderwoman and a few male character because you can't restand them and vomit so you get none of those options for free. You have to go damage which is still okay but makes his corner game much less scary for small hitbox characters since your options are pretty limited.

I'm not saying he's bad I still think he's pretty good I just feel like they killed off a lot of what made him interesting such as the high creative potential to use dexstar in combos and the properties of his vomit.
F13/F1 puddle is a 50/50. I've not found a single character that you can't do a restand on, you just have to change up the combos when necessary. I'll probably be posting in the combo thread to that effect pretty soon. And if nothing else you can do b23 ball, although your pressure can be interrupted at that point. His corner damage is also just as good as most characters in the game.

I can't disagree with the second point but there's still a ton of room for creativity with the restand which is my point. I loved vomit combos but I also thought they were pretty broke tbh. I don't mind them being gone. If anything the biggest nerf in my mind is pushblock taking even more trait since that is one of his biggest weaknesses when trying to pressure with trait.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
F13/F1 puddle is a 50/50. I've not found a single character that you can't do a restand on, you just have to change up the combos when necessary. I'll probably be posting in the combo thread to that effect pretty soon. And if nothing else you can do b23 ball, although your pressure can be interrupted at that point. His corner damage is also just as good as most characters in the game.

I can't disagree with the second point but there's still a ton of room for creativity with the restand which is my point. I loved vomit combos but I also thought they were pretty broke tbh. I don't mind them being gone. If anything the biggest nerf in my mind is pushblock taking even more trait since that is one of his biggest weaknesses when trying to pressure with trait.
I played a ton of matches with him last night and push block on Atrocitus trait is legit brutal. Alot of his added pressure is gone and f4 as well as 4 kills his trait. It's kinda rough especially since his trait takes longer to recover too.

He's still very good and now I can see why they did what they did. I'm actually happy for the changes but Dexstar pressure & added damage takes more actual thought to bring him out. I think that's a huge plus for my opponents as they were shook and ready to get rid of my trait using push block most times all the while I still have my meter and neutral game.

I like the honest Atrocitus a bit more now then the previous Atrocitus.