What's new

Question Ask Smoke Thread - Have Any Question? Post It Here!

is everyone connecting 3,d1,2 100% of the time? ive been used to doing 3,2 all the time that 3,d1,2 seems a bit hard for me lol.
Yeah I don't exactly understand? At what point? It seems easier to me because you are closer to your opponent at the end of it so it's easier to combo from (except smoke bombs or teleport)

BATTLEBEAR

NJ Jobber
Do any other smoke players have different combos in each corner? i find that a 3d12 NJP 32 32 FJK Airthrow will only work in the left corner because after the 32 when i go for the jk, it puts me in the corner, which is perfect for the airthrow because it puts them back in. However, in the right corner it doesn't auto correct, and the air throw whiffs alot of the time, so instead i usually do a BJK then go for an aithrow OTG smoke ball.

i have some ideas for combos while at werk..
can anyone put % to these?

3,d1,2 dash 3,2 dash, 3,d1,2, smoke bomb, jk xx airthrow

3,d1,2 dash, 3,d1,2, dash, 3,2, dash, 2 xx smoke bomb, jk xx airthrow

3,d1,2 dash, 3,2, dash, b2, 3 xx smoke bomb, jk xx airthrow

3,d1,2 dash, 3,2, dash, b2, 3 xx smoke bomb, dash, 3,d1,2,f4

Synraii

So Salty...
Yes
Btw, has anyone found a meaty anti air combo that does NOT involve an OTG smoke bomb?
(preparing for the patch)

After a jump in punch i'm currently doing 3,D+1,2, Dash, 3,D+1,2, Dash, 3,D+1,2, F+4 (41% before any patches ) but at the moment you can also do 3,D+1,2, Dash, 3,D+1,2, Dash, 3,D+1,2, Dash, D+1, Smoke Bomb, X-Ray (50% before any patches ). You can continue juggling after the Smoke Bomb also but i haven't really explored that yet. I read somewhere on this forum that some people were having trouble getting 3,D+1,2 consistently, they keep getting the 3,2 launcher instead, the trick is to pause slightly after doing the 3,D+1, if you do the inputs too fast it seems to miss the 2nd input.

I love doing 3,D+1,2, NJP, Jump Kick, Air Throw, OTG Smoke Bomb, Dash, 3,D+1,2, F+4, it's my favorite combo, sucks that it's not going to work anymore. I don't understand NRS taking it out it's not OP & adds variety to his gameplay. This could potentially ruin the character IMO :\

Synraii

So Salty...
It probably is but I don't want to elearn all my combos if it goes through so I'm starting early...

My corner combo for now

3,d1,2, NJP, dash, 3,2 3,2 3,2 2,1 smoke bomb jumpkick~airthrow = 46%
(could also add a smoke bomb for 48%)

After the smoke bomb you could do 3,2 again to keep them in the corner which would be 45%

My midscreen combo for now

3,d1,2 NJP, dash, 3,2 3,d1,2 smoke bomb jumpkick~airthrow, smoke bomb = 45%

in this this combo, how do you get the SECOND SMOKE CLOUD to hit every time?

JPS 1/2, 3d12 late jk/air throw, smoke cloud, dash-in, 3d12, jk/air throw, SMOKE CLOUD (49%)

i hardly ever get the last one to hit, what is the trick to it in this specific combo? Thanks!

Can anyone give me some good advice for getting the OTG? I cannot for the life of me land the thing. Or have they already patched it?

EDIT - I think I know my problem. It seems you have to be below a certain height when doing the air throw for Smoke to be able to land in time to perform the move. When I jump kick into the throw after the 3, d+1, 2 combo it's always pretty high. But if I just jump in with a regular jump kick while they are standing and throw after that then I can get the smoke cloud no problem. Now I just need to figure out how to get my jump kick out quicker after the combo.

Can anyone give me some good advice for getting the OTG? I cannot for the life of me land the thing. Or have they already patched it?

EDIT - I think I know my problem. It seems you have to be below a certain height when doing the air throw for Smoke to be able to land in time to perform the move. When I jump kick into the throw after the 3, d+1, 2 combo it's always pretty high. But if I just jump in with a regular jump kick while they are standing and throw after that then I can get the smoke cloud no problem. Now I just need to figure out how to get my jump kick out quicker after the combo.
dood just jump at the same time as the 2, and then once the opponent starts dropping down...maybe around your feet, jk xx air throw, and buffer the QCB on the way down. hope this helps.

Bus Orez

Noob

you have to do the jumpkick air throw as low to the ground as possible when doing it from 3 d+1 2

I wouldn't stress learning it right now anyway, rumors strongly suggesting it is getting removed.

Did they give any reasons for it? Doesn't seem too ridiculous to me. If anything I think the super speed teleport of his would be the only thing that would need a bit of nerfing.

*Finally been getting it too, can't do it the way they do in the vids but I can get meterless 47-49% mid-screen regularly.

Zebster

How's my volume?
Did they give any reasons for it? Doesn't seem too ridiculous to me. If anything I think the super speed teleport of his would be the only thing that would need a bit of nerfing.

*Finally been getting it too, can't do it the way they do in the vids but I can get meterless 47-49% mid-screen regularly.
May be the 51% meterless that brought about the nerf. Before you mention Kung Lao, he (as well as Ermac) are getting nerfed too.

What are Smoke's best options when he's being pressured? I.e. What are his fastest moves and combo starters? Against fast characters, I get RAPED with blockstring after blockstring. I imagine most of them end in either + advantage or very little disadvantage plus fast combo starters. I could block all day but get chipped to death and Smoke Away has too much startup. I tried backdash but got blown up.

Also, what are Smoke's best anti-air options? People tend to jump in on my Smoke a lot and nothing I do has been super-consistent.

Dunxco

Teleport Uppercut!
This isn't meant to be a troll by any means whatsoever so please don't take it as such:

I know that EX Shake will counter just about anything, including throws. If you go to throw an EX Shaking Smoke he will perform his counter attack.

My question is - is it an intended feature of regular Shake or a design oversight that throws will always whiff when he is in regular Shake? I went into training room with Sektor vs Smoke to try this, set up the opponent to shake, went to throw several times and it whiffed every time.

Bus Orez

Noob
Things that i use for Anti air with smoke

* Sharp jump kick xx teleport punch
*Ground teleport punch(Works in most instances)
*b+3(Range dependant)
*Uppercut (his isnt the best but it is still and anti air
*Dash under(not very good against characters with dive kicks, Use rarely)
*X ray( This for me surprisingly works pretty good but it is rather risky)
* ex shake

When Smoke is getting pressured you can try to d+3 or d+1 to push them off of you. Smokes d+1 is pretty good. Sometimes you can try ex smoke toward to go to the other side and or ex smoke away to get away from them. But that requires meter. A more risky thing to do is ex teleport punch. If an opponent is being to risky and is applying constant pressure then ex shake does a good job of forcing them to slow down, Especially since smokes game is to run and throw smoke bombs.

Thanks for advice. Now more questions:
Anyone have any idea on frame data? I thought certain things were safe, but it seems like I'm getting punished for them (i.e. close smoke bomb punished with throw).

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Surprised nobody uses his invisibility, other night I was having a tough time against this one guy's Kung Lao with Smoke(I'm somewhat newer to him but not brand new) just learning some of his BnB combos with my touch hehe, for 30-40%, but was thinking maybe I'll turn completely invisible and it worked great like UMK3 smoke days lol.....guy could not see me and didn't know where the hell I was lol

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
Are there any combo videos showing off this late jump that you need to get the OTG smoke bomb?

I just started learning this character and I'm not sure how to do it while hitting with his launcher block string.

Are there any combo videos showing off this late jump that you need to get the OTG smoke bomb?

I just started learning this character and I'm not sure how to do it while hitting with his launcher block string.

after the 2 launcher, jump with them but dont kickxxair throw until they start to fall down... then buffer the DB and hit 2 as soon as you land. i can hit it 100% offline or online.

zenbater

Noob
is everyone connecting 3,d1,2 100% of the time? ive been used to doing 3,2 all the time that 3,d1,2 seems a bit hard for me lol.
3,d1,2 rolls out so nice on a stick. I hit them 100%(ish) and that's why I like using stick even for MK, because once you get in the rhythm of a set of moves it's really rewarding, like playing an instrument, like piano or something, lol.
At the beginning I was having probs being consistent with my 3,d1,2 so now I (this might be really obvious) hold down right after 3 and keep it down all the way through. It just feels better in the hand and is easier to pull-off consistently. If you're using pad, well . . . I dunno.