What's new

ask shang tsung thread

I think this may help people with pressuring with Shang Tsung
All you do is get a blocked f4 3 4 into a ground skull or a 221 grond skull.
After that you predict. If the person is going to jump towards you you throw an in front upskull, then follow up with 1 dash 12 soul steal or f4 3 soul steal (havent f43 yet, tell if it works). If the person keeps on blocking you repeat your string with a GS or you throw an upskull on them and repeat. And if the person tries to rush you down you poke. And finally if the person doesnt know about b2 (shang tsung's overhead command) and they are blocking low, throw that out. Or if they dont know about f34 do that into one of shangs combos, but only try that if you are sure they are going to keep on blocking. But sadly some things like elbo dash go through almost all pokes. But this builds meter, it allows pressure and combos!
Tell me what you think?

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
I think this may help people with pressuring with Shang Tsung
All you do is get a blocked f4 3 4 into a ground skull or a 221 grond skull.
After that you predict. If the person is going to jump towards you you throw an in front upskull, then follow up with 1 dash 12 soul steal or f4 3 soul steal (havent f43 yet, tell if it works). If the person keeps on blocking you repeat your string with a GS or you throw an upskull on them and repeat. And if the person tries to rush you down you poke. And finally if the person doesnt know about b2 (shang tsung's overhead command) and they are blocking low, throw that out. Or if they dont know about f34 do that into one of shangs combos, but only try that if you are sure they are going to keep on blocking. But sadly some things like elbo dash go through almost all pokes. But this builds meter, it allows pressure and combos!
Tell me what you think?
Uhm...this has been discussed in Belial's Guide (it's stickied. Check it out)
But...just a couple things
1.- Best setup I've come up to hit a airborne opponent or after a njP is 1, dash, F4,3, Mid Ground skull, Soul Steal/(Upskull)
You can set up different upskulls (in front, above or behind them) if your opponent starts teching.
2.- You can use Soul Steal after a B+2. I believe it's somewhat safe on block. You can also go B+2, Close Ground skull. Tricky part here is to follow up the combo.
3.- Instead of going for F+3,4, Mid Ground skull (which is risky as fuck and fully punishable), you can do just about the same as with B+2. Go for F+3, Soul Steal or F+3, Close Ground Skull.

Question: How does Shang Tsung deal with characters with fast advancing specials that are safe on block, but require you to crouch punish when the moves whiff (Examples: Jax's Dash Punch, Night Wolf Shoulder Charge)? Usually you can only get an uppercut to punish those type of moves if you are crouching, but Shang Tsung's uppercut is incredible garbage so it feels like you can't get anymore of a punish other than a crouching 1 or crouching 3.

Question: How does Shang Tsung deal with characters with fast advancing specials that are safe on block, but require you to crouch punish when the moves whiff (Examples: Jax's Dash Punch, Night Wolf Shoulder Charge)? Usually you can only get an uppercut to punish those type of moves if you are crouching, but Shang Tsung's uppercut is incredible garbage so it feels like you can't get anymore of a punish other than a crouching 1 or crouching 3.
d3 into a block string/combo

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
Hey, I'm having a tourney here in south america in 2 weeks and I need some help against this 3 annoying matchups (most annoying imo)

buffed noob saibot (50/50 zoning. rly?)

kratos lameness parry and op damage.

raiden

any help is highly appreciated

Rabid Justice

Your Soul Is Mine
Wow with this new wake up system completely changes how you play Shang. Meaty attacks almost mean nothing. Shang may be low tier now.

Sigmar

Ex Mortis
shang tsung, why do you have to be so hard to use sometimes unlike cage where he can win with 1 move, </3 :cccc.

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
Hey, I'm having a tourney here in south america in 2 weeks and I need some help against this 3 annoying matchups (most annoying imo)

buffed noob saibot (50/50 zoning. rly?)

kratos lameness parry and op damage.

raiden

any help is highly appreciated
Is Kratos not banned in SA? Crazy talk.

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
Is Kratos not banned in SA? Crazy talk.
Tourney is sponsored by Sony, so...
He got somewhat nerfed, though. Parry is still a bitch.

Also, I agree on the wakeup system change. It's changed the game a lot for me. Completely. They made it look like they buffed shang tsung on the changelog, but in reality I feel like he's got a big nerf.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
What are some of his BnB's?

What are some of his corner BnB's?

Are some of his strings safe on block?

Does he have any frame traps?

Does he have any good wakeup options?

Is soul steal safe on block?

What are some of his BnB's?
jip, 221, close gskull, medium gskull, ex gskull, *wait upskull, 12, SS

you can change 221 to f34 or f434

that's mine, there's a bunch in this thread

What are some of his corner BnB's?
jip, f434, close gskull, jk, b1, b121 upskull <-- upskull stands them back up for pressure (thats the only one ive found lol)

Are some of his strings safe on block?
any of his strings can be made safe (or advantage?) by adding SS or gskull

Does he have any frame traps?
he has a couple in the corner but there's not that many midscreen. you can anticipate techrolls with behind upskull to far gskull after 221, f34, or f434, but other than that the wakeup changes took a lot of his frametraps away.

Does he have any good wakeup options?
ex SS is his only decent wakeup

Is soul steal safe on block?
yes

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
Shang's resets revolve around the usage of his upskull. You can end all of his BnBs with 1,2,upskull. It then becomes a guessing game for you and your opponent; you can bait out a teched knockdown and throw out a behind upskull. You can also attempt to bait out a wakeup attack which you will be able to block if you time the upskull well enough. This is especially useful in the corner because of their limited mobility. On block, the upskull has a massive frame advantage.

you can also end a block string in upskull or IFskull, except the upskull can be jumped if they're fast enough, if it hits you get a free 50% combo. IFskull will prevent JIPs but it'll knock them down so you can follow up with 121212 upskull/IFskull/ss. after a combo like f434, medium gskull, far gskull, *wait upskull will stand them back up but its not very reliable. but yes all of shangs resets are combos ending in upskulls to prevent wakeups, but a lot of them don't work anymore

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
Bloodsport- which traps don't work for you any more? The only one of mine that had to be modified was in the corner. It is much harder to upskull trap them without touching them in combos (which eliminates the unbreakable parts) but they do seem possible.

Bloodsport- which traps don't work for you any more? The only one of mine that had to be modified was in the corner. It is much harder to upskull trap them without touching them in combos (which eliminates the unbreakable parts) but they do seem possible.
err just to clarify i finally got some time in the lab with ST (been learning the rest of the cast), and a lot of them do work, so forget what i said about those midscreen resets, the timings just a bit different. but shangs game definitely doesn't revolve around meaty attacks anymore

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
What is the best way to end a combo when the last hit was EX GS? I use upskull, but I have a feeling there is something better.

What is the best way to end a combo when the last hit was EX GS? I use upskull, but I have a feeling there is something better.
hmm well it depends who you're fighting, you could do upskull when they're directly above you floating on exgskulls or throw out an in front skull (like half a second after exgskull hits) then follow up with 12 upskull or behind skull (to condition techrolls, then you can immediately do a far gskull and it'll always hit (so long as they techroll)). or after ex gskull you could do a close gskull to 12 upskull/behind skull; however once you make them aware they cannot techroll, you lose a ton of pressure options.

if you feel like morphing is your best bet as opposed to pressure strings (raiden/jade/kabal/KL are eeeeextremely hard to pressure) you would be better off just using behind skull, 12, SS. SS also prevents wakeups. unfortunately SS has a very very steep learning curve, which is why as a shang user the first thing you should do is learn how to use your bad MUs (raiden should be first on your list lol), that way you stand a much better chance of winning.