What's new

ask shang tsung thread

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
51% is the highest with 1 bar.

upskull, jP, 2,2,1, mid, far, ex, walk in front, walk behind, uppercut, f3,4, ss. Prevents wakeup and breaking on uppercut or f3,4 is a really dumb move from your opponent. Uppercut is a bit tricky, so I go with
upskull jP, 2,2,1, mid, far, ex, close, f3,4, ss. Does 49% as a full. I trade ss for another upskull if I don't know my enemy's character. Adds some pressure.

Credit goes to CHECK4900 for 51% combo.

Danno

Noob
I am almost thinking about dropping Shang cause his learning curve is so hard. I know there is a ton of potential here once I can master a few aspects of his game.

How do I solve rush downs and cross ups? I have watched alot of Detroit and Valle's videos and it seems if you are not doing the pressuring, you are toast. I find it hard to pressure with shang. I cannot consistently pull off f+4,3,4 so I guess thats a big issue. I substitute it with 2,2,1 or f3,4 (for some reason its easier to pull that off)

Is there any good way to fight teleporters such as Raiden?

Thanks for any help I can get guys. Its frustrating but Im trying to be patient with this toon. i think im just not good enough skill wise to be able to dominate with this character.

Marcus

Mortal Kombat Philippines / Injustice Philippines
How do I solve rush downs and cross ups? I have watched alot of Detroit and Valle's videos and it seems if you are not doing the pressuring, you are toast. I find it hard to pressure with shang. I cannot consistently pull off f+4,3,4 so I guess thats a big issue. I substitute it with 2,2,1 or f3,4 (for some reason its easier to pull that off)
If they block f+4,3,4.. summon a ground skull (du4). Most players will release the block after 4 in the combo. But if they read that youre gonna follow up with a du4 after the f434 string, theyre gonna block. What you wanna do is dash and poke with d1. They will usually take the hit and be taken down. So its bait for a wake up attack from there.

Danno

Noob
If they block f+4,3,4.. summon a ground skull (du4). Most players will release the block after 4 in the combo. But if they read that youre gonna follow up with a du4 after the f434 string, theyre gonna block. What you wanna do is dash and poke with d1. They will usually take the hit and be taken down. So its bait for a wake up attack from there.
Thanks for the tips! I need to work on my f+4,3,4 into up skull. I have a hard time linking a skull at the end of that combo for some reason. With more practice Im sure I will get my hit confirming time down. You prefer d+1 over d+3 for poking?

Belial

Noob
you cant really keep the good pressure up after f434~GS, there is no way to stop them from jumping or poking, since they're too far.
You do have the advantage but its difficult to make good use of it at this distance. In the corner, however, it is great, but pushback is a little random.

Danno

Noob
you cant really keep the good pressure up after f434~GS, there is no way to stop them from jumping or poking, since they're too far.
You do have the advantage but its difficult to make good use of it at this distance. In the corner, however, it is great, but pushback is a little random.
What do you use for good pressure strings?

What about if you do something like f+4,3 GS?

Marcus

Thanks for the tips! I need to work on my f+4,3,4 into up skull. I have a hard time linking a skull at the end of that combo for some reason. With more practice Im sure I will get my hit confirming time down. You prefer d+1 over d+3 for poking?
A good mixup of d1 and d3 just for you to have a good button input rhythm lol. I mix it up randomly.

Yes you can. After the gs, I buffer the dash input and then hit d1 for the poke. Keep doing that and they'll be forced to do wake up attacks which you will block and punish with a full combo.

Belial

Noob
Marcus: Sadly, you cant. If it works your opponents are messing up.
Here are few traps for you.
d+3 hit on close range -> f+4 cannot be jumped.
GS blocked in close -> f+4 cannot be jumped
d+1 hit on close range (i.e f+4~GS blocked) -> f4 cannot be jumped.
d+4 ~ dash f+4 - cannot be jumped or interrupted.

Overall his f3~GS and f4~GS are his best pressure tools. both leading to unbreakable damage. And unescapable frame traps where d+1 cannot be interrupted/jumped at all.
I will post a huge detailed guide on Shang after a local major coming in the end of august. You will have to wait until then.

Danno

Noob
I will post a huge detailed guide on Shang after a local major coming in the end of august. You will have to wait until then.
We've heard that before! lol

Good luck at your tourney. Let us know how you do and thanks for the info thus far

Marcus

d+1 hit on close range (i.e f+4~GS blocked) -> f4 cannot be jumped.
That is what I was talking about. Im not talking about a perfect trap though, Im just saying you still can keep up pressure after the gs by dashing and hitting d1 or d3. Of course they can jump over or poke too.

Gurrry

Twitch - 12DollarStreamMonster
Ok.. So I have just recently started messing around with Shang doing his main high and low starting BnB's.

However.. I feel like this 2,2,1 and F+4,3 are very slow on start up and get beaten by almost every other move in the game. I feel like when someone gets in on my Shang its game over. What do you guys do for close combat when not going into his main BnB's? What string is the safest on block and also faster than 2,2,1 and F+4,3?

Marcus

Ok.. So I have just recently started messing around with Shang doing his main high and low starting BnB's.

However.. I feel like this 2,2,1 and F+4,3 are very slow on start up and get beaten by almost every other move in the game. I feel like when someone gets in on my Shang its game over. What do you guys do for close combat when not going into his main BnB's? What string is the safest on block and also faster than 2,2,1 and F+4,3?
I usually avoid 221 unless I connect it after a jip. f4 is quite fast if you connect it after a d1 or d3 poke.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
What is the best way to pressure in the corner?

I do f434 close skull, jk, f434 upskull

Any better ways? Ways to mix it up?

Marcus

Thanks. Is it possible to incorporate an x-ray somewhere into a corner combo? They do not take up meter and an x-ray can really finish the job sometimes.
Yup! I believe you can x-ray after f434 close skull, jk, f434

Belial

Noob
The only usable X-ray combos are
AA d+2~X-ray
b+2~X-ray

other combos deal about the same damage w just 1 bar.

51% is the highest with 1 bar.

upskull, jP, 2,2,1, mid, far, ex, walk in front, walk behind, uppercut, f3,4, ss. Prevents wakeup and breaking on uppercut or f3,4 is a really dumb move from your opponent. Uppercut is a bit tricky, so I go with
upskull jP, 2,2,1, mid, far, ex, close, f3,4, ss. Does 49% as a full. I trade ss for another upskull if I don't know my enemy's character. Adds some pressure.

Credit goes to CHECK4900 for 51% combo.
There a video on this? I usually get the 39% with 1 bar, bout all i can do %'age wise. Been putting work into Tsung, I really like him dispite his high curve and slow startup.

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
The only usable X-ray combos are
AA d+2~X-ray
b+2~X-ray

other combos deal about the same damage w just 1 bar.
This man knows what he's talking about. I don't really see the point on wasting 3 bars if I can get just a little less damage with 1 bar.
Save them for breakers and bnb are my thoughts.
In fact, I barely see the point on wasting more than 1 bar per combo.

There a video on this? I usually get the 39% with 1 bar, bout all i can do %'age wise. Been putting work into Tsung, I really like him dispite his high curve and slow startup.
Yes, there's a video on it. It's in CHECK's shang tsung video compilation. Let me link you into it, although it seems like you already commented on the vid.

3:41

And yes, uppercuts can be continued in combos when 1) you uppercut them off the air. Usually gives you height and time enoug as to dash and continue the combo.
2) Shang Tsung can combo off an uppercut in the corner when followed by f4,3,4. Try uppercuting on a corner and dash as much as you can, then f4,3,4. I believe you can continue with b1,2,1,3 instead but timing is a little bit more estrict on this one. It is, however, just fancy as in there's almost no practical use on it. Jump kick is better and doesn't scale gravity. Maybe later I'll post some close-to-corner combos and corner combos that require no bar and are above 40%.

Also, on a real match, you're getting 30ish almost 40 percent dmg per bnb, but the full bnb would be around 49%. So no worries. Try the second variation, it's quite practical imo.

Gamin_Guru

Shang Bang
Anyone else having issues with good Mileena players ? Not the crappy predictable bad ones, but the ones who know how to lock you down. I was playing a really good Mileena player that completely shut me down. Teleport + Sai attack, D+4 pokes, strings into throws, etc. Hardest matchup for me atm.

Marcus

How do you guys deal with rushdown/pressure? I seem to get my ass beat by fast rushdown by the likes of Reptile/Cage.

Shady

Noob
How do you guys deal with rushdown/pressure? I seem to get my ass beat by fast rushdown by the likes of Reptile/Cage.
It's no easy answer, you basically just have to keep them out, it sucks, but it's the only answer. I usually try to catch them with a quick close ground into 1,2, dash 1,2 EX Soul Steal to level out the match up. Other wise it gets very very difficult. Just keeping them in and staying a step ahead seems to be the answer though.

EDIT: Also, maybe I'm not seeing something, but I don't understand the use of F3,4... I know it's low, but at the same time it's easily fuzzied and really, it's his only low start up so it can be easily blocked. Considering how unsafe that string is to begin with, why do I see so many Shangs use it?

Finally, does anyone see any use to this combo (it's not really high damage but I just really came up because I like going for Soul Steal): B1,2,1 Ground Skull, Dash in 1, Dash in 1,2, Soul Steal. I know most Shang players are zoners but I kind of play a mix where I rush down to get an EX Soul Steal if they don't have breaker because even chip in those situations is very dangerous.

Thank you for the post. Guess I skipped watching it all cause I wanted to learn Tsungs combos without morph for the time being. Having trouble timing the uppercut and even getting him to uppercut them backwards for the turnaround into f3,3,4

It's no easy answer, you basically just have to keep them out, it sucks, but it's the only answer. I usually try to catch them with a quick close ground into 1,2, dash 1,2 EX Soul Steal to level out the match up. Other wise it gets very very difficult. Just keeping them in and staying a step ahead seems to be the answer though.

EDIT: Also, maybe I'm not seeing something, but I don't understand the use of F3,4... I know it's low, but at the same time it's easily fuzzied and really, it's his only low start up so it can be easily blocked. Considering how unsafe that string is to begin with, why do I see so many Shangs use it?

Finally, does anyone see any use to this combo (it's not really high damage but I just really came up because I like going for Soul Steal): B1,2,1 Ground Skull, Dash in 1, Dash in 1,2, Soul Steal. I know most Shang players are zoners but I kind of play a mix where I rush down to get an EX Soul Steal if they don't have breaker because even chip in those situations is very dangerous.

I think when couple with close upskulls as an ender its an extremely fast string that can be repeated over and over and they have to get hit to get out of it, if done correctly. Block string i think? could be wrong. I know i've locked a few in the corner with f434 d,u 4 and f43 d, u 4 a few times.