What's new

ask scorpion thread

Grayx7

Noob
Well since I have finally settled on my main and chose to serve Hell as Scorpion.

The n.J 1/2 dash in B+1 on the B+1 sometimes the bounce isnt as high occasionally messing my combos up so when I go to jump kick into teleport The jump kick whiffs. Has anyone else experienced this? It seems completely random.
This usually happens when you hit them when they're jumpin' and/or your opponent's feet are [technically] off the ground. The neutral jump punch will count as a second ground bounce and you won't be able to juggle with B+2 after it.

Grayx7

Noob
the problem im having is im trying out this combo, my start is good but after a TP i cant seem to pull anything else off.

the combo im trying is, 1,1+2, TP, JK, JK, TP, spear, F+2,1,4

also im using the TE stick
You usually can't pull off 2 TPs in the same kombo, so if you get the jump kick and go into another TP, the kombo will stop there because your opponent will instantly drop to the ground after the second TP konnects.

If you're tryin' to kombo after 2, 1+2, into a TP, you could konnect a spear after it.

found a video on youtube with a pretty good scorpion player. very similar to my play style. uses the 50/50 mixup after the ground teleport combo as well.

he could have punished raiden a little better after the blocked supermans, but that was the only problem.

i'll try to post up some videos of my scorpion in the next day or two to hopefully give some helpful tips & strategy.

Grayx7

Noob
Here's a video I made, to help out all the aspirin' Scorpion players out there. Though I'm no pro player, i don't think I'm half bad usin' him either. I just wish I could play against more players to get more experience [I haven't touched This game's Online mode since the first time I played it, a couple weeks after the game was released]....Oh well, the video's description has kombo notation and some tips about him that I learned, so be sure to read it. Also please excuse the video quality....

alright, starting to upload match videos now.

they're all scorpion vs. noob lol

14 videos total. i dont want to flood the page with youtube links so here's a link to my youtube page

youtube.com/tj3ssa1

Excuse me, after 2,1,2 you can not techroll ?
because if it were really so, the fire EX is guaranteed .

This would be excessive because it would increase by 8% damage in juggle ..

Can Scorpion link a spear after the f+3 overhead? I've seen a number of combos different places that suggest you can, but I sure don't see how.

F+3 doesn't link into spear. Can you show me some of these combos?
They were being tossed around on another forum I frequent, and I kept saying that I tested it and it doesn't work, but I was getting argued with. Argument's been settled. Thanks for confirming.

General question: TomBrady often talks (pretty much whenever Scorpion is brought up) about how the character is a crap shoot, basically a winner as long as you're guessing right, and a loser when you guess wrong. I don't yet have enough experience with the character (mostly play Sub and Raiden) to make a judgment, but it doesn't feel that way to me. Scorpion feels very much like a mental chess game, where you have counters for everything, but you have to be able to read your opponent and tip situations in your favor. To be honest, I really like the way he plays so far (far beyond the standard spear/teleport/111 spam you get online). Am I wrong and just overestimating the character?

Just 2 matches of my scorpion, if anyone has any tips for improvement skip to 1:10 for matches, also you might want to turn the volume down or off cause of background noises lol

Also if anyone can explain what happened with hellfire around 1:55, does Scorpion have invincibility with hellfire or did I just hit noob first?

your scorpion looks pretty good. one thing i noticed was that you let the noob player jump around a tad too much. if you do enough hellfire, you're going to make anyone want to jump around. anticipate their jumps and use more anti air spear. remember, once you land a spear, it's all big combo or 50/50 guessing game from there.

another thing was, when you went for your jump in punch. you'd just do a 11 to apply pressure, this is not a bad choice because it's safe. but another thing to do would be going back into your 50/50 guessing game. once a jumping punch is blocked, they have to deal with whatever is coming next. so either go for the toward + 4 into spear for more 50/50s, or go for back + 2, or 2 > 1+2 for the overheads. it is risky because it's highly punishable if blocked, but if you guess right then you're right back into another 50/50 reset.

pretty good matches tho, the noob player was decent as well

It's realy important for me.
How do i need to block Scorpion's teleport to punish it, Block standing or Block duck?
Please PM me the answer, pleeease!

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
Rarely use Scorp but here is a question:

Why do people use 11 spear more?

Isnt 2,1 the same damage? I would have thought 2,1 was better as sometimes your buttons can play games with you and you will do 1,1,1 or 1,1,1 spear. Is 2,1 unsafe or something?

I have played scorpion from day 1 and the reason that 11 spear is better than 2,1 spear is because if the 11 is blocked then you just have to put another 1 on it to make it plus 1 or even on block. This sets up mind games like dash grab, jump kick combo, or mix up with f4,b2 or even 2,1+2. So the basic point is that 11 is more hit confirmable than 2,1.

your scorpion looks pretty good. one thing i noticed was that you let the noob player jump around a tad too much. if you do enough hellfire, you're going to make anyone want to jump around. anticipate their jumps and use more anti air spear. remember, once you land a spear, it's all big combo or 50/50 guessing game from there.

another thing was, when you went for your jump in punch. you'd just do a 11 to apply pressure, this is not a bad choice because it's safe. but another thing to do would be going back into your 50/50 guessing game. once a jumping punch is blocked, they have to deal with whatever is coming next. so either go for the toward + 4 into spear for more 50/50s, or go for back + 2, or 2 > 1+2 for the overheads. it is risky because it's highly punishable if blocked, but if you guess right then you're right back into another 50/50 reset.

pretty good matches tho, the noob player was decent as well
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated

Would anyone be willing to show me the ropes of scorpion sometime? I am getting used to his spear juggle combo and understand the mixup reset to the combo, but
without another person to play against its hard for me to practice in an efficient manner, I usually end up just spamming 1,1,spear and f+4 into a guess of f+4 or b+2 on reset against the computer... I guess im asking for his other mixup potential, I know he has some safe mixups and blocked combos into safe jump but I dont really understand that much... I will be on XBL and my gamertag is STILLCANTOLLIE if anyone wants to help! Thanks!

ELC

Scrublord McGee
Alright: what is Scorpion's best answer for unpunishable teleports like Raiden's Teleport or Freddy's Dream Shift? I swear: I can win every match against the expert CPU except when it's against either of these two characters.

EDIT: And I play Expert to get better at mix-ups and combo execution.

Removed or hidden move?

one thing that has bugged me about Scorpion is the minor detail of a combo that you see in the preview for Mortal Kombat 9; not 10 seconds into the trailer, Scorpion kicks an airborne Nightwolf, Subbie freezes him, and Scorpion slices what seems to be neck level twice and finishes with a kick similar to his hellfire kick from older versions of the game... The only move i know of that Scorpion utilizes his swords and hellfire kick is Scorpion's F+ BP, FP, BK; but this move is clearly not what was in the trailer. My question is : is this combo hidden like certain moves in Tekken or Soul Calibur, or is was it removed from Scorpions movelist? If it is hidden, is there a blog or thread here where other hidden moves are listed?
thanks in advance.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
one thing that has bugged me about Scorpion is the minor detail of a combo that you see in the preview for Mortal Kombat 9; not 10 seconds into the trailer, Scorpion kicks an airborne Nightwolf, Subbie freezes him, and Scorpion slices what seems to be neck level twice and finishes with a kick similar to his hellfire kick from older versions of the game... The only move i know of that Scorpion utilizes his swords and hellfire kick is Scorpion's F+ BP, FP, BK; but this move is clearly not what was in the trailer. My question is : is this combo hidden like certain moves in Tekken or Soul Calibur, or is was it removed from Scorpions movelist? If it is hidden, is there a blog or thread here where other hidden moves are listed?
thanks in advance.
Appears that its the same move as f214 except with a different animation. He also had Kanos throw if you check out the other trailer. And he had Crunchys second fatality.

Plus look how clunky the whole trailer looks, the game really has changed since the trailers.