What's new

Ask Nightwolf thread

tenshox

Noob
This. He would be IMO the undisputed best in the game if he had a low that fast into guaranteed 30-40%. EVERYBODY would be using him

I have the exact same issue, so I know what you are doing: You are going too fast on your inputs or putting in too many, or both. Only combos that you need to fast w/NW is when you start dash jabbing, take your time on everything else
That´s just a pita to get used to. The timing is way off. Just get rid of "Negative Edge".

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
That´s just a pita to get used to. The timing is way off. Just get rid of "Negative Edge".
It's not a pain, you just got to adapt and forget it's even there. Some characters it's hard too do that, but I never notice the Negative edge when I play.

best meter and meterless corner combo?

meterless ive been using is f3,1,2 x3, 112

also, how do you deal with low kick spammers?
this only applies to one guy, but he took away my shoulder, and he was really good at antiair reactions. i also tried to play the zone game, but he just tele on reaction (kung)

edit: also what are some things to do to build good habits while using him?
so far i think im coming along well, comparing my comp with the mku room, and my local scene as well.
basically im asking for general tips like 'dont shoulder too much' or w/e.

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner

meterless ive been using is f3,1,2 x3, 112

also, how do you deal with low kick spammers?
this only applies to one guy, but he took away my shoulder, and he was really good at antiair reactions. i also tried to play the zone game, but he just tele on reaction (kung)

edit: also what are some things to do to build good habits while using him?
so far i think im coming along well, comparing my comp with the mku room, and my local scene as well.
basically im asking for general tips like 'dont shoulder too much' or w/e.
Meterless: Anything into hatchet, B+2~hatchet, dash~1, dash~1, dash~122 shoulder
Meter:anything into hatchet, B+2~ex hatchet, dash~1, dash~12~command grab
Meter:anything into hatchet, B+2~ex hatchet, dash~1, dash~122~shoulder

also, how do you deal with low kick spammers?:

Counter hit with F+3, or do a D+3/4~hatchet, if they are indeed mashing, then the hatchet will hit them.

also what are some things to do to build good habits while using him?
Stop doing shoulder too much
Stop doing Lightning so much
Learn to dash cancel
Learn to react too your opponent and adapt accordingly

Hey guys, I always have problems aproaching people in MK. Jumping is a no no and the dash gets predictable. What are nightwolf's best ways to get in close? Sorry for the newbish question. I just live with a sub zero main, lol.

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
Hey guys, I always have problems aproaching people in MK. Jumping is a no no and the dash gets predictable. What are nightwolf's best ways to get in close? Sorry for the newbish question. I just live with a sub zero main, lol.
dashing canceling in. Using block to cancel and other moves when you get closer.

What attack strings/special moves of Nightwolf's are safe on block?

Are there any good or easy combos that end in or involve EX choke? (I just like how it looks, lol)

By the way, I fought a disgusting zoning Nightwolf with my Reptile the other day. He would spam arrows from full screen, reflect my projectiles, lightning bolt me when I blocked, and use an EX arrow to knock me back when I tried to jump in. Reptile can't dash block worth crap, so I either had to jump in (eat EX arrows) or Elbow Dash (lightning bolt tracked me and hit me at the end). It was pretty nasty. Any tips for how to deal with this sort of Nightwolf?

i have a problem keeping pressure when opponents roll back after a shoulder. dashing 3 times give them enough time to jump over and whatnot. any tips?

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
What attack strings/special moves of Nightwolf's are safe on block?

Are there any good or easy combos that end in or involve EX choke? (I just like how it looks, lol)

By the way, I fought a disgusting zoning Nightwolf with my Reptile the other day. He would spam arrows from full screen, reflect my projectiles, lightning bolt me when I blocked, and use an EX arrow to knock me back when I tried to jump in. Reptile can't dash block worth crap, so I either had to jump in (eat EX arrows) or Elbow Dash (lightning bolt tracked me and hit me at the end). It was pretty nasty. Any tips for how to deal with this sort of Nightwolf?
1221, B+221, 112, anything that ends in hatchet, shoulder if its blocked high

trade projectiles with him is all I can think of, I'm not familiar with Reptile enough to understand how it works.

"i have a problem keeping pressure when opponents roll back after a shoulder. dashing 3 times give them enough time to jump over and whatnot. any tips? "

Dash cancel your way in, or shoulder again while their rolling backwards, dont too it to often, they can just wake up if you do it too much.

BATFIM

Noob
Having more problems with NW against Kitana: My friend (Kitana) beats my close-up combat by doing f2,1 (47% staple combo launcher) because the move is i17, 0 or +? on block and has really long range, and after I block the move he does 1-3 jabs which beat NW's jabs both in speed and range, and then loops back to f2,1. Is there any good options for me to defend against this? Things I've tried after blocking f2,1 or the following jabs:

A. interrupting with jab gets beaten by Kitana's jabs
B. cross up jump punch whiffs or gets beaten by jab
C. cross up jump kick hits sometimes if Kitana tried to jab again, but will miss if Kitana did f2,1 instead. sometimes gets beaten by another jab
D. jumping back will be caught by another f2,1
E. guessing and doing f3,1 after jabs will beat Kitanas f2,1 occasionally, but often doesn't reach due to pushback of the preceding Kitana's jabs and therefore eats then another f2,1
F. Shoulder gets beaten by jabs and due to the nature (lack) of the buffer system, it is difficult to interrupt an incoming f2,1. But even this can be anticipated by Kitana and punished by uppercut.

what are the most conistant high damage combo to do off of a naked axe when they jump in on me? and what is a consistent combo to land off of an ex lightning juggle?

Are there any strings that hit low first? Competent opponents always block high and my rushdowns only consist of 1221 or F3,1, hatchet with the occasional sweep. I'm so predictable. What are your rushdown strings and tactics?

Are there any strings that hit low first? Competent opponents always block high and my rushdowns only consist of 1221 or F3,1, hatchet with the occasional sweep. I'm so predictable. What are your rushdown strings and tactics?
No he has no low strings, but it is good to mix it up with f+3,b+4, if they are blocking that consistently, keep them in check with lightning and if anything throw them. After lightning they will probably jump in, thats when you use the hatchet as anti air. Be unpredicatable with random shoulders, and Ex lightning into shoulder as well. Cross over punch a lot and just apply pressure, they'll let go of block soon enough. And if they dont, you'll win so its all good lol.

mhtdtr

Ancestors, give me strength!
if nw has a safe jump in any situacion or not. i dont know if he can do a safe jump to continue pressure for example

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
How do you guys manage on the Kabal and Kenshi match-ups? I can't get in on ether of those guys without meter and reflect isn't an option in those matches and when i do get in Kenshi has that SC which pushes me full screen and it seems that kabal has superior normals. (Why did NRS make it so we can't reflect groundsaw?)

EDIT: Also is SC safe?

McNasty

Moist.
shoulder punishes anything kenshi does except EX moves on block. Hes also a prime target for lightening on wake up. Once your in cross him up. Just watch out for his low starter as it will beat out the shoulder if timed right.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
With kabal you need to react quick...you need to start by staying at jump distance, wait for an iaf and shoulder your way in. Or reflect. Other than that, you need to get in like mr mileena did against reo. Dash d1 dash d1...if you connect a d1 link it to axe but watch out for saw. A fail safe is to wait till he is near the wall(not up against it but just out side of it) and do eh shoulder on a ground saw...on iaf you might go under him and get screwed.

On kenshi I'm not sure...I play kenshi myself but I never fight another kenshi or another NW.