What's new

Ask Nightwolf thread

Use this thread to ask question(s) about Nightwolf. We don't need to make different threads to ask a question

First post will be updated with the questions and answers so that you know if your question was already asked before and what was the answer for it.

BATFIM

Noob
How do I defend against Kitana's square wave punch with NW? I was playing a short session against my friend and I wasn't able to punish even with uppercut from close range.

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
How do I defend against Kitana's square wave punch with NW? I was playing a short session against my friend and I wasn't able to punish even with uppercut from close range.
If you predict it, just shoot an arrow at her or wait for her to get near the ground, then do lightning

hello,

what can i do, if enemys allways crouch on wakeup, not blocking, i eat often a uppercut, lol
my shoulder whiff my combos too, nightwolfs back/bk is horrilbe :(
if i do lightning, people often jump in, sometimes work sometimes not
any combo or something to deal with crouchers :D

thnx nightwolf is badass!!!

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
hello,

what can i do, if enemys allways crouch on wakeup, not blocking, i eat often a uppercut, lol
my shoulder whiff my combos too, nightwolfs back/bk is horrilbe :(
if i do lightning, people often jump in, sometimes work sometimes not
any combo or something to deal with crouchers :D

thnx nightwolf is badass!!!
F+3 or D+3/4, it forces them to get up/block
Don't do lightning unless you get them into the habit of blocking your random shoulders.
Don't focus on his B+4, if you wanna do shoulder combos, do this combo.
anything into hatchet, B+2~Hatchet, dash~1, Dash~1, 122~shoulder

tenshox

Noob
I really got a problem with 2~hatchet in any form, especially in a combo. As it turns out i get 2~command grab for like 60-70% of the time, cause of the negative edge. Any tips to circumvent this ?

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
What are NW's overhead and low options? Can he combo anything off low?
Overhead=
12(overhead)2(overhead)1
B+22(overhead)1
11(overhead)2

low:B+4, D+3, D+4

No he can't. He can do a F+3 B+4 string, but other then that nothing he can do can combo off a low, except for shoulder.

Overhead=
12(overhead)2(overhead)1
B+22(overhead)1
11(overhead)2

low:B+4, D+3, D+4

No he can't. He can do a F+3 B+4 string, but other then that nothing he can do can combo off a low, except for shoulder.

interesting, I was just about to ask about Nightwolfs low startup. I don't understand why it hits high though, His F+3 startup clearly hits low. It's a foot stomp for petes sake. Is it a bug in the game, similar to the one Kano had prior to the hotfix or is it deliberate? I wish they fix that, he could have so much more opportunity from up close, especially when the opponents are high blocking expecting that brutal shoulder ram.

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
interesting, I was just about to ask about Nightwolfs low startup. I don't understand why it hits high though, His F+3 startup clearly hits low. It's a foot stomp for petes sake. Is it a bug in the game, similar to the one Kano had prior to the hotfix or is it deliberate? I wish they fix that, he could have so much more opportunity from up close, especially when the opponents are high blocking expecting that brutal shoulder ram.
If they changed that too a low, he'd be too good.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
If they changed that too a low, he'd be too good.
This. He would be IMO the undisputed best in the game if he had a low that fast into guaranteed 30-40%. EVERYBODY would be using him

I really got a problem with 2~hatchet in any form, especially in a combo. As it turns out i get 2~command grab for like 60-70% of the time, cause of the negative edge. Any tips to circumvent this ?
I have the exact same issue, so I know what you are doing: You are going too fast on your inputs or putting in too many, or both. Only combos that you need to fast w/NW is when you start dash jabbing, take your time on everything else

I agree he would definitely be unstoppable if he had that low startup :p As he stands at the moment he is beastly. I'm surprised not many people use him. In my opinion he's the most versatile and well rounded character in the game. So many options with Nightwolf.

H2O FARMER

Crazy 88 king
Besides a fast teleporter what character would be a good matchup for nightwolf?My buddy only learned to play using nightwolf my mains are ermac,lao,and reptile.I can wreck him with reptile but not my other 2.Looking for other options besides raiden or cyrax if there is another decent matchup.

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
Besides a fast teleporter what character would be a good matchup for nightwolf?My buddy only learned to play using nightwolf my mains are ermac,lao,and reptile.I can wreck him with reptile but not my other 2.Looking for other options besides raiden or cyrax if there is another decent matchup.
Uh..No one, it largely depends on how you play, not who you play.

Copied from Tom Brady's guide in the gameplay section of the forums:

Edited to make sure the arrow icons are showing properly.

Tom Brady said:
METER:

MOVEMENT:
Forward Dash - tapping :r:r will cause your character to do a forward dash. you can cancel your dash in its early frames with block or with strikes. you can also forward dash into crouch or crouch block but in doing so you may be hit in transition. a good example is nightwolf shoulder... if you crouch it or crouch block it you can punish it. should you dash then try to come out of dash with a crouch without block you will be hit because after a full dash you cannot go into full crouch in time and will be hit in transition. if you do a dash and try to crouch block then you will still block the shoulder but will be unable to punish because the game will still allow the shoulder to make contact.

Back Dash - tapping :l:l will cause your character to do a back dash. you can cancel your dash in its early frames with block or with strikes.

Dash Cancel - when doing certain combos or during xray's that juggle you can buffer dash mid combo. doing this has your character recover faster and dash forward allowing you to continue your combo where you otherwise couldn't.

Stance Change - :fk+:bk will do a quick stance change allowing your character to switch from open stance to closed stance and vice versa. certain characters have moves and combos that are stance specific.

Block Dashing - :r:r:blk :r:blk :r:blk etc or :l:l:blk :l:blk :l:blk etc is a block dash. by canceling with block at the very early frames of the dash you can dash forward or even backwards quickly while being able to block as you come out of the dash. there are frames during the early frames just before you can cancel the dash with block where you are vulnerable and can be hit during this technique.