What's new

Ask Nightwolf thread

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
Is 234 advantage on block? also does this string give free lightning on hit? at least seems like EX lightning is free.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Anything that knocks down is considered a lightning trap. Uppercut, sweep, shoulder, choke, etc.

Problem is that now with universal wakeups getting 4 more frames, it mkes eh lightning wiff more. The invinsability last longer making nw need to be much more specific and wait a hair longer to make it hit. But it's always a "trap" but never garanteed.

CJKRattlehead

How can you apply pressure without constant F3 mix-ups? Are any of his specials advantage on block? Or any other strings good for pressure?

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
All nw specials are unpunishable on block but most leave you at neutral frames. So I use eh axe sometimes to continue pressure after a block string tonkeepnme close, safe, and unpredictable.

The only things that work against this pressure is reptile dash, superman, and ice clone. But you can bait it and punish both dash and superman with full combo and punish clone with eh lightning for combo. You just got to make them play your game.

For a good example, watch my matches vs atl batman at Level Up. It's on the front page right now. It's not my only pressure but it brought me back for a comeback winin one I think.

My favorite pressure is f3 d3 1 d4 1221 mixups. it takes off a ton of chip and could lead to a combo.

Nevrosis

Keelawutaye!
Any use for D4 with NW? I use it sometimes but it seems a bit slow. Just wondering if I should avoid using it or not.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
D4 Is different per character but it always give you something with all of them. I'll explain. D4 hits on on a standing opponent, you can dash in for free and start a block string...if they do anything but block, you get the first hit and a full combo. If d4 hits on a crouched opponent you don't have that same advantage so be careful dashing in.

So for nw...

D3 d3 d4 dash in f3. It works week to keep footsies. If the d3 pushes you back enough, you can throw out a d4 which may catch them...if it does your good...you can also shoulder after it. I do this a ton with nw...watch the newer nw vids in my collection in my guide. You will see what I mean.

Mosp

Noob
What's the best way to get in on a character with an amazing D+3 or D+4? His F+3 is out of range and his footsies aren't that great so I feel like I'm forced to do a jump kick which they are usually expecting. The only thing I can think of is step back and lightning but that seems kinda gimmicky and it's easy to punish if whiffed.

CJKRattlehead

What's the best way to get in on a character with an amazing D+3 or D+4? His F+3 is out of range and his footsies aren't that great so I feel like I'm forced to do a jump kick which they are usually expecting. The only thing I can think of is step back and lightning but that seems kinda gimmicky and it's easy to punish if whiffed.
Blocking low always works.

Mosp

Noob
Blocking low always works.
No wonder I've been having trouble all this time, I just needed to block low instead of eating all that damage. You must be godlike at this game, well how do I get out of pressure against characters like Jax? Oh well it's easy I'll just block his strings and poke out appropriately and full combo him while taking only chip damage. Thanks for your help man, you really helped me improve my game.

Also you asked LOTF as to why Mileena is a bad matchup for him because he has more knowledge and i quote: "D4, d4, d4. Nw has to jump at her or guess right to stuff d4 with f3. If I jump I eat a tele combo for 30% or if I land the jump kick to shoulder, I get 16%. It's just not a good trade cause it's about 50/50.

F3 just isn't reliable on d4 so approaching her is a pain...NW HAS to be patient to even stand a chance and even then...it's a grind to the end. 6-4 mileena."

Wow it sounds like D4 is a pain for NW and it sounds like that's what makes this matchup to be more so in Mileena's favor. So I was asking HIGH level NW players if other characters with great footsies give him as much pain because of his lack of options to counter that. So next time if you're not even going to try to post any helpful advice then you might as well just not post anything at all.

CJKRattlehead

No wonder I've been having trouble all this time, I just needed to block low instead of eating all that damage. You must be godlike at this game, well how do I get out of pressure against characters like Jax? Oh well it's easy I'll just block his strings and poke out appropriately and full combo him while taking only chip damage. Thanks for your help man, you really helped me improve my game.

Also you asked LOTF as to why Mileena is a bad matchup for him because he has more knowledge and i quote: "D4, d4, d4. Nw has to jump at her or guess right to stuff d4 with f3. If I jump I eat a tele combo for 30% or if I land the jump kick to shoulder, I get 16%. It's just not a good trade cause it's about 50/50.

F3 just isn't reliable on d4 so approaching her is a pain...NW HAS to be patient to even stand a chance and even then...it's a grind to the end. 6-4 mileena."

Wow it sounds like D4 is a pain for NW and it sounds like that's what makes this matchup to be more so in Mileena's favor. So I was asking HIGH level NW players if other characters with great footsies give him as much pain because of his lack of options to counter that. So next time if you're not even going to try to post any helpful advice then you might as well just not post anything at all.
Maybe i should elaborate. If you block down 4 they are at disadvantage especially against mileena. If you block D4 return a D4 of your own and dash in and apply some pressure if she teles it wiffs on NW because of the height of his hitbox during the animation again i believe putting her at disadvantage. She could still jump in which is the problem with that so there is some guessing.

EDIT: Never mind for some reason i thought D4 was disadvantage when its neutral still NW has a faster D4 than mileena.

Mosp

Noob
Maybe i should elaborate. If you block down 4 they are at disadvantage especially against mileena. If you block D4 return a D4 of your own and dash in and apply some pressure if she teles it wiffs on NW because of the height of his hitbox during the animation again i believe putting her at disadvantage. She could still jump in which is the problem with that so there is some guessing.
So if I block a D4 I have enough time to dash in for pressure before she can mash out another D4? Also NW's D4 doesn't have nearly as much range so you're sure it can punish a blocked D4 of hers? I feel like I've tried these options before but maybe I'll go back to the lab and put them to the test, and thanks for elaborating it was definitely more helpful.

CJKRattlehead

So if I block a D4 I have enough time to dash in for pressure before she can mash out another D4? Also NW's D4 doesn't have nearly as much range so you're sure it can punish a blocked D4 of hers? I feel like I've tried these options before but maybe I'll go back to the lab and put them to the test, and thanks for elaborating it was definitely more helpful.
Obviously won't work on Mileena's max range D4 but F3 seems to work consistently on a max range D4.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Mosp said:
Nightwolf doesn't have an easy answer to good d+4s, which is why REO, Tom, and I ranked him so low on the tier list. Nightwolf has to take risks by jumping or doing (EX) lightnings. You can try and counter-poke with d+1 or d+4, but doing so is difficult because these pokes have limited range. Take the Mileena match up, for example, which Nightwolf probably loses worse than 6:4. You have to block 50 d+4s in the match, and if you even think about jumping, ball (b,d+4) is one of the most consistent AAs in the game. Even you do manage to punish d+4 with a jump kick, you get subpar damage as FLY said. Against some characters who play good foosties, Nightwolf simply can't get close to initiate his offense.

Mosp

Noob
Obviously won't work on Mileena's max range D4 but F3 seems to work consistently on a max range D4.
Ya I just did a few minutes of testing and it seems like it's easier to dash in so I'm not at full range then block and punish with F3. It seemed to be consistent from anything less than her full range as long as it was properly timed. Not sure if she'd be able to interrupt the F3 with a D3 though.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Nightwolf wins this matchup on turtling alone. If I try to pressure mileena she can mash d4 all day long. F3 is inconsistent and hard to time...you have to guess within like 7-10 frames for it to work. Pig of the hut has the best mileena out there. Reo is great but he stopped using her so pig by default is next in line. Me and him have played countless matches of nw vs mileena.

I only win when I make him come to me. That means I punish ALL his tele kicks (even eh tele kicks) with d1 axe. I cannot jump at all except for the RARE jump kick on his d4. I need to uppercut his jumps. And I can't let him get block strings on me. U4 leaves him at advantage on block and 4 2 string is godlike. So in a nutshell you need to force him to make mistakes by out zoning him. That's the only way. If you think nw beats mil, then you havnt fought a good mil yet.

mhtdtr

Ancestors, give me strength!
hi, i am a nightwolf player in trainning. yesterday there was a tourny in spain and i compete with nw but i dont very happy with my game cause i miss a lot of things (nervous aside) and i think this thread is good to improve through your advice nightwolf players.

this are my matches. i post it here to you to see and tell me what im doing wrong and what things can do to get better.

i know for example that i never combo after a hit in air with j.p, and i know also that i dont do the most damaging combos. the reason for this one is that i prefer to make sure that the combo is done without risking to fail even if i dont do the most damaging option.

feel free to talk about the videos and advice me if you want but, please, only messages for improving, i alredy know i am not a good nightwolf.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Ok so I watched some of your vids and the best advice I can give you is to unlimit yourself. You say you don't want to drop a combo but the only reason you would drop it is because you havnt practiced it enough. You need to spend enough time with your character so you can get full damage combos, punish effectively, and not waste meter. No excuses, just put in the effort and watch the vids I put up in my nightwolf guide thread.

Any questions send me a PM.