False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
The hitbox is what it looks like

1 comes out higher which generally makes it a better AA than 2

kilnkilagn

Kill-n-Kill Again
Anti-Cage X-Ray

Anything farther than sweep range can hit JC, like Mileena's D4.
ANYTHING beyond sweep? For instance:

Smoke: b2; f4
CSZ: b2; f1; slide; dive kick
Scorp: f4; f3
Kang: b1; f3; Dragon Stance:3
Lao: f3; f2
SZ: f4;
Mileena: f3; f2
Jade: db2; df2
Reptile: d4; dash; slide; f3
Jax: df2
Etcetera . . .

kilnkilagn

Kill-n-Kill Again
I'm guessing that the hurt hitbox of the person attacking (usually the torso) must be far away from JC's parry, while the damage hitbox (ie mileena's foot when doing D4) makes contact. That's how Mileena can snuff it out with D4. Anything like csz's slide or dive kick will get parried because the hurt hitbox is too close. That's an educated guess though.

Example: http://testyourmight.com/forum/showthread.php?11039-Johnny-Cage-Tech-101-X-ray-properties
Thanks for the link. I went to the Cage Forum first but obviously didn't do a good enough job searching.

Cser

Noob
How do you guys incorporate Cage's overhead (F4)? It's so slow I rarely ever find a use for it and even if I do catch someone with it they see it coming the next time.

Dat Al

Stay Frosty
I know that a lot of guys like to use it after a jump in punch for a full combo into nut, as well as using it after the JIP is blocked although I believe you can be poked out when you do that. I also use it pretty frequently after a nut punch, doing something like Nutpunch, F4, F33, or on hit going into 2 or 11 and resetting with nutpunch again. It definitely has its uses.

kilnkilagn

Kill-n-Kill Again
Cage f4

For the guy who asked about using Cage's f4 . . .

Watch this video for your answer:

Btw, Cage is used in parts 3 and 4 as well.

SO whats the big deal with thos JC frame traps?:]
The only normals that you will see Johnny use, that are more than 9 frames, are B3 and F4 and maybe D4. Almost everything is safe, the only thing that gives him disadvantage on block that you will see are B3, F33 and 21F2 (if you see F2 that's an input error). Pretty much everything gives him advantage on hit. JC gains meter insanely fast, meaning you'll see those ex forceball traps often. Sure you can crouch, but seeing as half the things he does are overhead, it's easier said than done. Block string mix ups are ridiculous. His D1 is, in my opinion, one of the best in the game. Try and jump out of his block strings that leave him neutral and you'll get anti-aired with d1, leading to a nut punch combo. Try and D1 him and there's no guarantee his d1 won't win. Even then, he can block your d1 and punish on anticipation. JC's anti-airs are one of the best in the game. Uppercut is 7 frames with insane range, flip kick is 9 frames with even more range, d1 has a big hitbox and his crouching hit box is small, standing 1 is another good anti-air, B3 is great against jump ins, even F4 isn't a bad anti-air and force balls will make you think twice about jumping at any part of the screen. Then there's that shadow kick, which at midrange is pretty much like raiden's superman but with less wall carry. ex nut punch also has invincibility.

Marvaz

come at me
^ well your basically just listing stuff from the character. EVERYONE in the game has similar shit. In all honesty cage is actually a very crappy character. He really has no mixups once you know how to poke out or jump out. His midrange game is horrible so is his far game. Up close he is good but nothing like sonya,kabal, lk. Cage is actually just a avarage character. The ONLY cage that was good was Jops, but he quit and left a blueprint of how cage should be played.

leek

Noob
^ well your basically just listing stuff from the character. EVERYONE in the game has similar shit. In all honesty cage is actually a very crappy character. He really has no mixups once you know how to poke out or jump out. His midrange game is horrible so is his far game. Up close he is good but nothing like sonya,kabal, lk. Cage is actually just a avarage character. The ONLY cage that was good was Jops, but he quit and left a blueprint of how cage should be played.
why is he the only good cage?

Not implying i am, but i don't think that you should be so assy about that. There are plenty of good cage players, just because one doesn't make top fucking 4 at evo every two weeks doesn't mean there aren't any more good players. :facepalm:

Marvaz

come at me
why is he the only good cage?

Not implying i am, but i don't think that you should be so assy about that. There are plenty of good cage players, just because one doesn't make top fucking 4 at evo every two weeks doesn't mean there aren't any more good players. :facepalm:
Your right there may be "good" cages out there but none that have made any top placings. Playing online or at your local tourney is alot different then playing at a big tournament. So IMO the only cage player was Jop, until proven otherwise.

leek

Noob
Your right there may be "good" cages out there but none that have made any top placings. Playing online or at your local tourney is alot different then playing at a big tournament. So IMO the only cage player was Jop, until proven otherwise.
agree to disagree on a couple things but technically you're right. If they aren't winning, they aren't as good.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
JC isn't a terrible character, he's a nice pocket character for a fair amount of the actively seen characters in tournaments. Raiden, Mileena, Kung Lao, Jax, etc. But yes, you need another character to compete. Reptile, Sub, Kitana, Ermac, etc are going to give him hell. I'm going with Jax personally, between the two of them they cover the the cast.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
He is so weird... because his normals and stuff are poke able ... yet he can stop strings to mess your timing. Because they are all so fast, the pressure can really get to a player, at any level. It helps that JC has a favorable match up against Kung Lao and Jax. He reminds me of something that was posted about SF and the shoryuken. Being random with your strings and causing your opponent to hesitate is JC's thing. Thats what random Shoryuken's do in SF. I know they are different games, but the randomness still applies. I think he is above average when played this way... but average when he is "flow charted".

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
I've won 2 events with him and came 4th at SVB. Cage has the power, dont underplay your character. He isnt a crappy character at all, a good workman never blames his tools.

Mix ups arent just high/lows, considering how long you can make his block stings and the advantage they give on hit (or block with forceballs) I'd say his mixups are good enough. Just people tend to only stand there and use his 2 1 string (dunno why?) when he has plenty of other strings to switch between.

Nobody else use the 11F1 string at all? Sick move once they learn they can poke after 11

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
111 gives more advantage from my tests, plus I'd rather do 11 ex force ball.
Just had a look now, could only see the advantage by eye but they seem pretty similar.

However, if the 11F1 is blocked it will push them back a little bit just inside of poke range, you could use that to bait a poke and whiff punish it.

Personally I dont use the 11 string for forceball traps because the string is that easy to mix up with. You can 11 backdash/poke/jump/1/F1/throw etc etc. The F33 strings my favourite for it because it will build you back the most meter while you do it too.

Just had a look now, could only see the advantage by eye but they seem pretty similar.

However, if the 11F1 is blocked it will push them back a little bit just inside of poke range, you could use that to bait a poke and whiff punish it.

Personally I dont use the 11 string for forceball traps because the string is that easy to mix up with. You can 11 backdash/poke/jump/1/F1/throw etc etc. The F33 strings my favourite for it because it will build you back the most meter while you do it too.
Using 11 for ex force ball would also be great to mix up with. 11 gives the more advantage than 111 (I think, it was hard to test by myself cuz 11 whiffs on crouch). It's also good for ermac where 11, 11 ex force ball connects, 13 ex force ball connects, etc etc. For reptile, 11, 11, 11 ex force ball connects and 13 ex forceball. It's great to mix up strings. F2 ex force ball also connects for both of them, so if there's any use for that god forsaken normal, that's one. Can't force ball trap reptile in the corner though.

Problem is though that 11 is high, and most people will be crouching against JC anyways.

Marvaz

come at me
I've won 2 events with him and came 4th at SVB. Cage has the power, dont underplay your character. He isnt a crappy character at all, a good workman never blames his tools.

Mix ups arent just high/lows, considering how long you can make his block stings and the advantage they give on hit (or block with forceballs) I'd say his mixups are good enough. Just people tend to only stand there and use his 2 1 string (dunno why?) when he has plenty of other strings to switch between.

Nobody else use the 11F1 string at all? Sick move once they learn they can poke after 11
I was mainly talking about usa, but one thing i have noticed about the eu scene is IMO they have no clue how to get out of cage strings. I watched your guyses last tournament and i think it was u vs some mileena and that mileena player literally had not clue what to do. Cage is not at advantage on any blocked string but it seems like from what ive seen of the eu guys they block and dont know when to poke out or jump out. Still though, i think you would do pretty good in the US just not like in EU.