What's new

Ars Technica says "very bad idea."

dreemernj

Ambassador
Wow, Ars Technica already has another article up about MK vs DC. This time it refers to an interview Boon did with Computerandvideogames.com.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=187314

The Ars Technica story is titled "Street Fighter vs Mortal Kombat: It almost happened" which I found comical. By "it almost happened" they mean "Ed Boon had a dream."

But, the content of this story doesn't matter. Ed Boon is succeeding already. MK vs DC is already becoming a success. It is going to get coverage like you wouldn't believe by the time it finally gets released.

It'll probably be 1/10th the game SF4 will be but will likely get 10-20x the coverage in the US media. Therefor it will sell like crazy.

All Ed Boon needs now is for You Know Who to start up a campaign against the violence portrayed in the game and the circle will be complete (most will know who I mean, it's better for all of us if his name isn't mentioned any more on the internet).

RoGE

Noob
Its cool man, and it isnt a big deal, it was just getting frustrating.

Your definition of broken didnt really match Shock's, Shock's matched mine perfectly.

You were just classifying an unbalanced game and a broken game into one term, and they are different and a game can be one without the other.

Shock explained it in detail good.
i just simply misunderstood something DreenerNJ said on MKO when I asked
"MK2 is broken?"
he replied with:
"Glitchy collision detection, unbalanced characters. It is pretty broken."

From that post, I thought unbalanced characters played a pretty big part in broken fighting games.

http://www.mortalkombatonline.com/content/forum/showmessage.cds?id=105075
^There's the thread.

But now I see.

Topic: Seems like Ed Boon is still wanting SF VS MK, how will that work out if it happened? :confused:

dreemernj

Ambassador
The lesson here kids is, don't listen to dreemernj :-o

lol, i've traditionally used Broken to cover Unbalanced. It's why I say MKT is broken. But that's just my feeling on it and its not on-topic.

I don't personally think SF v MK would or could happen. Although the idealigical differences between MGS and SSB far outweigh the differences between MK and SF, so anything is possible I guess. I actually would like to see Capcom try to take MK characters and put them into a street fighter just to see how they would interpret it. However, I would want them to use UMK3 as a basis and not the 3D ones. If it was SF vs 3D MK, I would just go buy a Farm Simulator or something. You know, something more entertaining and interesting to look at.

dubson

Noob
Thats true with the MGS and SSB

But yeah when I heard about how he wanted to do SF vs MK, I was like yeah, let Capcom make it lol.

I dont want any "Freefall Kombat" bullshit or whatever

dreemernj

Ambassador
Freefall kombat honestly sticks out as the worst idea of the entire game at the moment. Maybe things will shape up (meaning maybe you can turn freefall kombat off in the options :-P)

Tim Static

Adminerator
The lesson here kids is, don't listen to dreemernj :-o

lol, i've traditionally used Broken to cover Unbalanced. It's why I say MKT is broken. But that's just my feeling on it and its not on-topic.

I don't personally think SF v MK would or could happen. Although the idealigical differences between MGS and SSB far outweigh the differences between MK and SF, so anything is possible I guess. I actually would like to see Capcom try to take MK characters and put them into a street fighter just to see how they would interpret it. However, I would want them to use UMK3 as a basis and not the 3D ones. If it was SF vs 3D MK, I would just go buy a Farm Simulator or something. You know, something more entertaining and interesting to look at.
LOL, amen, bro.

And Klose Kombat or Freefall, whatever the fuck it is called, is the worse idea of this game so far. Other than the 3-D thing. :(

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Instead of adding "fun" or "logic" to the fighting, they have been adding more and more gimmicks to the incomplete fighting to dance around it. It's dumb.

RoGE

Noob
Edit: More to the point, a broken fighting game contains systemwide flaws that hurt more characters than it helps. An unbalanced game is when some or few characters are either obviously or accidentally overpowered so far away from the rest of the cast, and does not have anything to do specifically with the system, but more the combos, speed, special moves, etc of said characters. MKII contains elements of both, MKT for PSX shows what happens when you add extremely powerful characters, it creates unbalance, but in general, MKT for PSX is not broken. MKT for N64 is broken.
umk wiki material right there.

The game looks boring. It's gonna be one of the worst fighting games ever.

Stupid nerdz. LEAVE MORTAL KOMBAT ALONE!!!!!!!! :'(

Tim Static

Adminerator
There is 2 kinds of MK.

Good and bad.

2-D and 3-D.

Arcade era & console era

Fun & boring.

get it? ;) got it. good. :p

Tim Static

Adminerator
#1. I hate how 3D MKs are so slow, yet have very quick moves that can knock you into a pit with one hit.

#2 I hate how it takes about .5 sex to jump or .2 start to move.

#3 I hate how the P/K system isn't available.

#4 (ps2) I hate how the servers make the game even worse by not allowing to you to do #2(npi) while trying to avoid #1(npi), or use #3 when you are trying to counter after a #1.

#5 There is nothing good about the games, really.
LOL at your post, I think i'm timfused...duuurrrrr

Anyway, I love everything about the 3-D thats not gameplay related.:) I mean, the art, arenas, costumes (some) and character design are the only things I liked.

Oh yea, the Graveyard tomb thing (krypt?) from MK:DA was cool. Seeing some old behind the scenes stuff from the arcade era was cool. Plus, you could run the audio from that durig halloween and scare the shit out of peoples, haha.

RoGE

Noob
LOL at your post, I think i'm timfused...duuurrrrr

Anyway, I love everything about the 3-D thats not gameplay related.:) I mean, the art, arenas, costumes (some) and character design are the only things I liked.

Oh yea, the Graveyard tomb thing (krypt?) from MK:DA was cool. Seeing some old behind the scenes stuff from the arcade era was cool. Plus, you could run the audio from that durig halloween and scare the shit out of peoples, haha.
I have to agree to that, even though the gameplay has not been good for most of the 3-D games, I still like the extra content and stuff. Hell, the only 3-D MK games that offer decent gameplay are MKDA, MKSM, and maybe MK4.

I actually enjoyed MK 5 (or 6?). I don't know why really, I just got into it. I even did the little boring side quests lol. I thought it was cool to travel into another realm :) I enjoyed the game but it's not my kind of fighting game.

The only 3D fighter that I really enjoy is Virtua Fighter 4 (didn't play the 5th one). I like that game cuz it takes skills to counter. Another 3D fighting I really enjoyed was Dead or Alive. But that's for another reason :D

oBryant

Noob
lol im not trying to sound like an ass or trying to flame.. but who are you guys to say a game is broken? lol if the developers made the characters unbalanced that doesnt make the whole damn game "broken" in my own opinion a broken game would be a game shit filled with glitches.. from what i understand a "broken" game is to you guys.. i really dont get the term "broken"

dreemernj

Ambassador
lol im not trying to sound like an ass or trying to flame.. but who are you guys to say a game is broken? lol if the developers made the characters unbalanced that doesnt make the whole damn game "broken" in my own opinion a broken game would be a game shit filled with glitches.. from what i understand a "broken" game is to you guys.. i really dont get the term "broken"
Read this post from this thread:
Edit: More to the point, a broken fighting game contains systemwide flaws that hurt more characters than it helps. An unbalanced game is when some or few characters are either obviously or accidentally overpowered so far away from the rest of the cast, and does not have anything to do specifically with the system, but more the combos, speed, special moves, etc of said characters. MKII contains elements of both, MKT for PSX shows what happens when you add extremely powerful characters, it creates unbalance, but in general, MKT for PSX is not broken. MKT for N64 is broken.