What's new

Ars Technica says "very bad idea."

dreemernj

Ambassador
Mortal Kombat and DC comics meet, in a very bad idea

arstechnica said:
Sometimes you see a game idea that seems almost guaranteed to suck. Witness the reveal of Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, a crossover game where your favorite Mortal Kombat characters attempt to beat the living crap out of characters from DC Comics. GamesRader has the first teaser trailer, with Batman and Sub-Zero fighting. Via Kotaku, we have even more hearsay:

Later in the evening however, an ugly story started to circulate. According to several sources, Ed Boon stated that the game would have no fatalities. No fatalities? Seriously? Fatalities are what the franchise is best known for but apparently DC will not have their beloved characters torn limb from limb in fountains of blood.

So, we have what appears to be a 3D Mortal Kombat, which is one strike. Add in DC characters in a video game, which is strike two (at least historically), and then take away the fatalities? No sir. I am open to the possibility of this game not being total dreck, but that would be quite the surprise indeed.

This, in my opinion, hits all the notes for a terrible idea, doomed to failure. Then again, I'm kind of jaded when it comes to Mortal Kombat and comic-book licensed games these days. Do any of you have hope for this one?
Ars Technica is becoming worse by the day with all the terrible writing that's happening. This seems like the average Ars article at this point. Still kinda funny though.

Original Story

RoGE

Noob
If a game like marvel vs capcom worked where you had Guile throwing a sonic-boom at The Hulk then this could definitely work, they just have to capture the mood of both series like Marvel Vs Capcom did.

dubson

Noob
yeeeeeeeeeeah, you have no idea what is or isnt broken, you only post what you think, and you always think you are right, but you are always wroooooong

bye bye

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
There is broke ass shit in every Capcom vs game, the least broken, and least popular, is MvSF.

I thnk 99% of the MK community says this is a bad idea.....but Ed Boon doesn't give a fuck

it's time for us to realize that we're all dedicated to a fun Mortal Kombat fighting game....that doesn't exist anymore but so what....we're good at competitive MK...no new game will be made, no MK rebirth...

i know it's what we all wanted, but fuck it, SF got lucky enough to be made a 3d version of their favorite 2d game....

one day

one day

we'll make a game or something

whatever

happy 420....

im drunk..like 9 shots deep, here goes tenth

RoGE

Noob
yeeeeeeeeeeah, you have no idea what is or isnt broken, you only post what you think, and you always think you are right, but you are always wroooooong

bye bye
You stick to your made-up definition of broken and I will stick to my commonly used term for broken like many of the other people on this site.

have a nice day :)

dubson

Noob
First thing I ever saw in mvc that pissed me off:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-WlWlvOWcBo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmzelwG4gGY&NR=1
(These aren't even the extreme cases in this game either)

war machine guard breaks, wm reset combos, wolvie reset combos, strider/devilot guard break, rv speed and power, Commando resets, venom/hulk duo dmg, ken hurricane kick, gambit inf resets

If you knew anything about the game you would know that it is broken.
LMAO

He gets proven wrong with everything he says, yet he will still go around to every thread and preach his "truth"

RoGE

Noob
LMAO

He gets proven wrong with everything he says, yet he will still go around to every thread and preach his "truth"
Uh, I think he is talking to you man, lol

I have already posted a video of many broken combo's and I took back what I said.

And also, I think you should ask DreemerNJ and Shock why MK2 is broken, maybe they can enlighten you on the commonly used definition.

dubson

Noob
Why the fuck would he be talking to me?????

You are the one who said that MvC1 isnt broken you idiot.

Shock and Dreemer's definition of a broken game isnt that same as yours dude, wake the fuck up. And all they are going to say about MK2 is just that it is a bad fighting game.

How old are you, seriously dude.

MK2 is UNBALANCED, not broken there is a difference.

RoGE

Noob
Why the fuck would he be talking to me?????

You are the one who said that MvC1 isnt broken you idiot.

Shock and Dreemer's definition of a broken game isnt that same as yours dude, wake the fuck up. And all they are going to say about MK2 is just that it is a bad fighting game.

How old are you, seriously dude.

MK2 is UNBALANCED, not broken there is a difference.
lol ok dude, whatever you say, I have posted a video on my post proving myself wrong already before he even posted those videos, so I don't see why he would post that to me.

dubson

Noob
on topic:

I agree with everything that this guy wrote about MK vs DC, Ed Boon is sweatin SF4 and had to make moves, and he made the wrong move.

RoGE

Noob
on topic:

I agree with everything that this guy wrote about MK vs DC, Ed Boon is sweatin SF4 and had to make moves, and he made the wrong move.
Thank you :)

MK vs SF... As long as the gameplay is good, I don't really care so much for it, if it sucks then I won't be playing MK for a while.

Tim Static

Adminerator
on topic:

MKvDC was in full production before anybody outside of Capcom knew anything about SF4.

That isnt important though. But SF4 is pwn MKvDC so hard becasue Capcom knows how to push the envelope, even with technology AND, the most important thing: CAPCOM GIVES THEIR FANS WHAT THEY WANT.

Off topic:
Iori, you seem like a cool cat, and your pleasure to have here in these forums, but damn dude, Dubson knows what he is talkig about in regards to fighting gams and such, and you do seem to tak out of yor ass, epecially with most of what your saying sounding like opinions. No disrepect, but that is a truth.

PS- MK2 is not broken. But yeah, the seperation from Jax (#1) to Reptile #LAST, lol, is big. REAL BIG. That means UNBALANCED.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
MKII has some universal properties to the gameplay that would just about qualify it as broken. Some examples, you can't give a standing LK from a certain distance without taking a standing LK back, the juggling limitation properties that some characters can't do anything about, the Death Punch, etc. If you can think of a lot of parts of the system of a game that prevent characters from competing, the game is broken. Sometimes, there are just characters that can do things others can't, and those characters are unbalanced or locally broken.

Edit: More to the point, a broken fighting game contains systemwide flaws that hurt more characters than it helps. An unbalanced game is when some or few characters are either obviously or accidentally overpowered so far away from the rest of the cast, and does not have anything to do specifically with the system, but more the combos, speed, special moves, etc of said characters. MKII contains elements of both, MKT for PSX shows what happens when you add extremely powerful characters, it creates unbalance, but in general, MKT for PSX is not broken. MKT for N64 is broken.

dubson

Noob
It aint perfect, but I wouldnt say its a broken fighting game, which is what Iori was claiming and wouldnt specify why. Other than he thought it was broken because of it being unbalanced, which is his definition of a broken fighting game and is wrong.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Yeah as I said, a game needs several fundamental, and universal flaws that hurt the gameplay in order for it to be a broken game. Indivudually broken characters are a different story, because if every character is broken in someway, it can still be balanced, which then takes it to different degrees. Say if there's a game where all the characters are noticably powerful, it levels out, but the matches are shorter. In MvC2, I consider the entire assist system to be broken and flawed, and the game is 2/3 assist based comboing, countering and baiting at least. The matches change dramatically when it comes down to 1 on 1. But I would say MKII is borderline broken, Jax and Mileena do take advantage of limitations in the gameplay in order to be on top. They could play the exact same way in UMK3 and they would be mid tier because the gameplay wouldn't allow for their advantages to be so overwhelming, effectively balancing them out.

RoGE

Noob
Yeah as I said, a game needs several fundamental, and universal flaws that hurt the gameplay in order for it to be a broken game. Indivudually broken characters are a different story, because if every character is broken in someway, it can still be balanced, which then takes it to different degrees. Say if there's a game where all the characters are noticably powerful, it levels out, but the matches are shorter. In MvC2, I consider the entire assist system to be broken and flawed, and the game is 2/3 assist based comboing, countering and baiting at least. The matches change dramatically when it comes down to 1 on 1. But I would say MKII is borderline broken, Jax and Mileena do take advantage of limitations in the gameplay in order to be on top. They could play the exact same way in UMK3 and they would be mid tier because the gameplay wouldn't allow for their advantages to be so overwhelming, effectively balancing them out.
sorry about that Dubson for not being as detailed or as specific as shock, those guys are basically where I got my definition of broken from.

dubson

Noob
sorry about that Dubson for not being as detailed or as specific as shock, those guys are basically where I got my definition of broken from.
Its cool man, and it isnt a big deal, it was just getting frustrating.

Your definition of broken didnt really match Shock's, Shock's matched mine perfectly.

You were just classifying an unbalanced game and a broken game into one term, and they are different and a game can be one without the other.

Shock explained it in detail good.