What's new

Tech Ares Tech

Crathen

Death is my business
if you read a baack dash commit to d1 d4 and it will combo and catch them.

But that's what other Ares players have been saying all along...

d1d4 is a must in certain situations , yes we can make a read on a backdash and YOLO d1d4 but here we go again to the starting point wich means d1d4 is interruptable if they block it or they backdash our next mixup and be wide open for punishment , if we make that godlike read we get 30% at best , they block and we're stuck in pressure thanks to Ares shitty backdash.

We make reads all the time , difference being Ares risks a lot more than other characters for less reward and his problems in many matchups aren't just upclose , he actually gets outzoned and have to either play it safe and use his below average forward dash / mobility in general or YOLO teleport.

TL;DR Ares is bad , if someone wants to win pick a top tier , sad but true

Can we just move on?

webreg

Noob
yeah he should have used the term block confirm instead of hit confirm.
That makes absolutely no sense. That's the exact same thing. In MK and Injustice with the dial-a-combo system "hit confirm" is mostly used to describe the action of seeing/hearing that a string is hitting the opponent in order to determine if it is alright to throw out an unsafe special move to keep the combo going instead of getting it blocked and possibly being punished for it. There is just no way to "hit confirm" d1 in order to cancel it into a special move that is unsafe. And this a stirred up this discussion because UFG sounded like he is saying the opposite. Linguistically UFG was obviously right because throwing out d1 and then if it hits continuing with another string (which won't link or combo though) could be described as "hit confirming" in the literal sense but it is rarely used in that context as far as I'm aware.

Anyway, doesn't matter. Case closed. Thread abandoned.

Even if you do happen to get the trade with ares, so what? You have spent a bar of meter like a paranoid wreck, all because you just don't want to simply hit confirm a poke, and that is a situation you will find yourself allot in against tons of the cast. And I would rather save my meter for the more important things, like MB Godsmack from 3d2, or clash, or super, or push block.

And let's say you decide this is a good idea, and you might get away with it once in a set (if you are pistol perfect and the opponent is slightly late) it is not something to run your tournament life on, at least I wouldn't, and to my knowledge nobody has yet won a tournament by having full punishable holes in their offence, or shaky gimmicks. Good players at offline tournament level will destroy opponents for not having water right offence, and if that isn't happening right now with the majority of players, it will eventually, just like we did in MK at the peak of its scene, and this d1 special, d1 trait won't be something that will last, because it doesn't work. And it will work less and less the better the community gets, so there is no point being behind the game with this stuff right now.

Try picking up nightwing and doing b2 4 staff spin on foxy and see how many times you get away with it, or b1 staggering with Wonder Woman on me and watch how many times you get reversed.

I'm not being a killjoy, I'm trying to help with solid advice.
I agree with almost everything you've posted in this thread, but I wanted to point out that you don't necessarily have to play according to how he game is supposed to be played to win. Two examples in MK9 are MFSlayer I think who did crazy, random shit with Kung Lao and won a lot of matches against high level opponents and Chris G who never practiced, dashed around the screen like a maniac, and still managed to make multiple top 8's and even beat PL recently. Bottom line you can play at a competetive level and still win doing things "incorrectly" and still win. PR Rog is a good example in injustice as well

I agree with almost everything you've posted in this thread, but I wanted to point out that you don't necessarily have to play according to how he game is supposed to be played to win. Two examples in MK9 are MFSlayer I think who did crazy, random shit with Kung Lao and won a lot of matches against high level opponents and Chris G who never practiced, dashed around the screen like a maniac, and still managed to make multiple top 8's and even beat PL recently. Bottom line you can play at a competetive level and still win doing things "incorrectly" and still win. PR Rog is a good example in injustice as well
I wholeheartedly agree with this. Anyone under pressure can make mistakes and still win.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
except chris g actually was strategic with his dashes.

when the reptile community was blown up it was discussed how chris g was conditioning people with "reckless" dashes to get them to block all day long.

move after 321 acid hand? dash. you wont move your ass an inch in an attempt to bait a dash and youre now stuck with reptile having free reign over you.

Breakin Wordzz

Best Rengar NA, also ares of world
block confirm like do d1 o its blocked i wont press buttons but if its on hit i press buttons. the hit confirmed got messed up with like oh i hit him with d1 let me do a d4 for the combo. that is what i meant.

except chris g actually was strategic with his dashes.

when the reptile community was blown up it was discussed how chris g was conditioning people with "reckless" dashes to get them to block all day long.

move after 321 acid hand? dash. you wont move your ass an inch in an attempt to bait a dash and youre now stuck with reptile having free reign over you.
Which is different from making people stay still by using d1 MB de because...? I'm just saying the tech, if it is true that it trades if the MB is used at the correct time, could be useful especially in a close out the round or game situation and will cause people to be more cautios in interrupting his strings. If a player can full combo punish this tech every time on reaction then they are godlike and made a good read but this tech isn't much different than Chris G dashing to condition his opponents or Kung Lao players spinning after f3 or Tele 3 to make their opponent sit and block

Whoa.

There's no need for all this unnecessary arguing.

It's obvious that everyone here (Including some non-Ares players :rolleyes:) has different opinions on this matter and refuse to change their views.

If you're going to have a healthy argument, you should be open-minded and considerate with the other person. Eventually coming to a compromise.. if not, then you may always agree to disagree.

Remember we're here to discuss ways to improve/benefit Ares.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Which is different from making people stay still by using d1 MB de because...? I'm just saying the tech, if it is true that it trades if the MB is used at the correct time, could be useful especially in a close out the round or game situation and will cause people to be more cautios in interrupting his strings. If a player can full combo punish this tech every time on reaction then they are godlike and made a good read but this tech isn't much different than Chris G dashing to condition his opponents or Kung Lao players spinning after f3 or Tele 3 to make their opponent sit and block
did you really compare a meterless 6f half screen dash with Oki setups and pressure that can be done anywhere anytime off of anything and is punishable to make the opponent respect and bait it to a Mb projectile? Wow.

Breakin Wordzz

Best Rengar NA, also ares of world
what what do you guys think about this in the Killer Frost MU. Because killer frost cant really do anything after a slide. instead of killer frost controlling the 50/50 now ares does

I use d+1 as a naked poke 95% of the time. I rarely even punish with d1~d4, opting instead to make use of the +9f.

I follow-up with 3~... or throw. There is a five frame gap between d+1 and standing-3 wherein the opponent can attempt to poke, attempt to jump, attempt to backdash, or execute a super. (Can't poke. Can't jump. Difficult to backdash. Lose to supers.)

As of today no opponent has been able to purposely escape the follow-up 3d2 (except those with full meter). Thus I trade relatively meager damage--inflicted with the d1~d4 launcher--in favor of meter-building, chip damage and the threat of mbDE on block.

Naked d+1 has improved my win/loss ratio enormously, due in large part to the damage inflicted using the 3d2~GS launcher, which, coincidentally, I land a lot more often these days.

Once people learn to backdash after a naked d+1, a follow-up b+1~... should make them think twice.

did you really compare a meterless 6f half screen dash with Oki setups and pressure that can be done anywhere anytime off of anything and is punishable to make the opponent respect and bait it to a Mb projectile? Wow.
You mean did I just compare an unsafe pressure/mixup tool that does a limited amount of damage but forces the opponent to respect their other options and makes them feel the need to just block to something else acting in the exact same way? If so then yeah, I did.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
I like reading thise conversation because its interesting, but lets please keep it civil and not a dickmeasuring contest.

Allright so basically d1d4 should be only used for punishing (or when they arent blocking low obviously), and d1 should be used for when you hit, you take advantage on the +9 frames right?

4x4lo8o

Noob
Allright so basically d1d4 should be only used for punishing (or when they arent blocking low obviously), and d1 should be used for when you hit, you take advantage on the +9 frames right?
That's what people are saying. I've gone over it repeatedly in this thread, but just for the record I think that's a load of crap. In a lot of mu's d1~d4 is the only thing Ares has that the opponent has to worry about, and by never committing to d1~d4 if there's a chance they'll block it you're giving them no reason to respect d1. Any mix ups or follow ups Ares does after d1 are far less intimidating to deal with

LaR

Noob
I like reading thise conversation because its interesting, but lets please keep it civil and not a dickmeasuring contest.

Saying Ares should never use his d1~d4 unless its a punish is like saying jax should never use f4

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
People don't interrupt d1 d4 at all in most of my matches. Really don't understand why it's getting shit on by non-Ares players.
Well its because they can interrupt it everytime.

To be honest, sure its interruptable, but thats because they are reading you go for a low and thus block it.

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
i gave up on using this a while ago because i keep getting meter burn b3 for some god awful reason =/

when you read they're baiting d1~d4 thats when you make the read and go for his overhead or a throw. You have to let them know the that you are willing to pull the trigger on d1~d4 im not saying you should abuse it all the time but its definitely a big part of his game and something you have to make them respect.
I agree. I think this is the point that we've all been trying to make.