What's new

Match-up Discussion Ares match up discussion 1.06

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
You can't hurt what you can't catch. Don't hold your breath...I can see it as a legitimate 7-3.
Yeah, if only you guys had any actual presence in the footsie range... but you don't. You have to depend on being able to keep us out, something you guys could never do in the first place.

Reactions: RYX

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I actually don't think the Sinestro MU changed much, if at all. If Ares tries to MB tele in Sin's face, he can check him with a D1 everytime. If he teleports farther away from him, then he just let Sinestro get away with an errant fireball since it is not only farther away but also has more recovery.
So you agree its still 5-5 or 6-4 sinestro and unchanged?

Actually where does the sinestro community stand on this MU. This has been a fun mu # to watch change since april

The Gabriel

Mean Man
Defensive playstyle in general is very good against Ares because he is a very momentum/risk type character, and WoundCowboy plays one of the most patient and defensive Sinestro's I've ever seen. Ares' teleport is too slow to use on reaction to any of Sinestro's projectiles so the buffs don't really impact the match-up.

Ares has to guess as to what Sinestro will do, so Sinestro can constantly be baiting him. Figuring out meter burn teleport strategies around this is a little difficult online due to the inherent lag and strange properties of meter burn teleport itself.

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
So I have a question. I played against Alucard's Ares in a tournament on Saturday. It came down to the wire, but he ended up taking it 3 - 2.

However, my question is this: was Ares hitbox adjusted at all during his teleport recovery with the latest patch? The reason that I ask is because before: I've been able to read and punish teleports behind me by neutral jumping as Batman and then coming down with a neutral jump 2 so that the crossup would hit Ares if he wasn't blocking after recovering from his teleport.

However, during my match with Alucard, my neutral jump 2 was whiffing in this scenario. It completely threw me off, lol. So did something in the last patch change how Ares' teleport recovers?

The only other reason that I can think of this happening is because I've been using neutral J2 successfully exclusively during online matches and that this was something that was NEVER possible offline. I haven't fought an Ares offline since late April / early May.

If you want to watch the match, it can be found here: http://www.twitch.tv/arcadelegacy/b/469735632

It takes place right after the MMH match that I have against Kenshinoyo. The video lags for a while, but it eventually fixes itself later on during the match.

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
So I have a question. I played against Alucard's Ares in a tournament on Saturday. It came down to the wire, but he ended up taking it 3 - 2.

However, my question is this: was Ares hitbox adjusted at all during his teleport recovery with the latest patch? The reason that I ask is because before: I've been able to read and punish teleports behind me by neutral jumping as Batman and then coming down with a neutral jump 2 so that the crossup would hit Ares if he wasn't blocking after recovering from his teleport.

However, during my match with Alucard, my neutral jump 2 was whiffing in this scenario. It completely threw me off, lol. So did something in the last patch change how Ares' teleport recovers?

The only other reason that I can think of this happening is because I've been using neutral J2 successfully exclusively during online matches and that this was something that was NEVER possible offline. I haven't fought an Ares offline since late April / early May.

If you want to watch the match, it can be found here: http://www.twitch.tv/arcadelegacy/b/469735632

It takes place right after the MMH match that I have against Kenshinoyo. The video lags for a while, but it eventually fixes itself later on during the match.
Alot of characters struggle with neutral jumping then punishing with a 2 on the way down. With bats every teleport just 112, it has 19 or so frames of recovery and I know guys that learn the MU body my teleports free everytime, WoundCowboy was actually the first to punish every tele I did haha. and this was week 2. Ill et moore in depth when im off work

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Alot of characters struggle with neutral jumping then punishing with a 2 on the way down. With bats every teleport just 112, it has 19 or so frames of recovery and I know guys that learn the MU body my teleports free everytime, WoundCowboy was actually the first to punish every tele I did haha. and this was week 2. Ill et moore in depth when im off work
Ok, thanks. I'll work on punishing that with 112 from now on. I'm always skeptical about pressing a button right away after anyone's teleport behind me because my character always seems to take too long to react to the teleport by turning around to actually face the guy, lol

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Ok, thanks. I'll work on punishing that with 112 from now on. I'm always skeptical about pressing a button right away after anyone's teleport behind me because my character always seems to take too long to react to the teleport by turning around to actually face the guy, lol
yeah even I struggle in the mirror doing it. but yeah once you do that ares tend to tele alot less ;]

The Gabriel

Mean Man

Just watched this and did not see any moment where he teleported and you whiffed a neutral j2?

Also I can't believe he did the original reset at one point

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Just watched this and did not see any moment where he teleported and you whiffed a neutral j2?
It was during the earlier rounds where the stream was still lagging. I think that there is one moment during that where you see him teleport, then you see a freeze frame of me in the middle of a neutral jump 2, and then the next freeze frame is of him in the middle of hitting me for a combo. lol

For what it's worth (which is not much lol), I agree on the Lex MU being 6-4 Ares. It felt even before the patch, but the improved teleport takes away Lex's ability to counter-zone :(

The Gabriel

Mean Man
For what it's worth (which is not much lol), I agree on the Lex MU being 6-4 Ares. It felt even before the patch, but the improved teleport takes away Lex's ability to counter-zone :(
Hmm not necessarily...also corpse charge punishes either new wakeup away teleport

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Meh i think its 4-6. Lex can now use his projectile more and his trait still something very hard to deal with.
I can agree that it might be even, but not that its in ares his favor.

Hmm not necessarily...also corpse charge punishes either new wakeup away teleport
Ah, yes. Despite his buff, Ares still has trouble of getting out of Lex's pressure. But post-patch, that teleport still makes it difficult to bully Ares into the corner. Anything I do mid-screen costs me meter, and I hardly get 30 % damage off it. Its hard to keep that up for long if I can't eventually get some meterless setups in the corner.

Meh i think its 4-6. Lex can now use his projectile more and his trait still something very hard to deal with.
I can agree that it might be even, but not that its in ares his favor.
I'm not so sure Lex can use Lance Blast against Ares. It still has 28 frames of startup. Basically a free teleport-behind for Ares on reaction. I can get one Lance Blast off if I have enough advantage that I know Ares will have to block, but after that Ares completely outzones Lex.

Shields definitely help take the edge off having to watch out for Ares' mixup game, but it definitely doesn't help that Ares' trait-ax is multi-hit. I had a few games with some Ares' players who definitely knew the Lex matchup well, because they reliably threw an axe every time I traited up. Even when I was able to block it, I lose like 2 seconds of trait time just as the axe slowly passes by :p

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Ah, yes. Despite his buff, Ares still has trouble of getting out of Lex's pressure. But post-patch, that teleport still makes it difficult to bully Ares into the corner. Anything I do mid-screen costs me meter, and I hardly get 30 % damage off it. Its hard to keep that up for long if I can't eventually get some meterless setups in the corner.

I'm not so sure Lex can use Lance Blast against Ares. It still has 28 frames of startup. Basically a free teleport-behind for Ares on reaction. I can get one Lance Blast off if I have enough advantage that I know Ares will have to block, but after that Ares completely outzones Lex.

Shields definitely help take the edge off having to watch out for Ares' mixup game, but it definitely doesn't help that Ares' trait-ax is multi-hit. I had a few games with some Ares' players who definitely knew the Lex matchup well, because they reliably threw an axe every time I traited up. Even when I was able to block it, I lose like 2 seconds of trait time just as the axe slowly passes by :p
You play on xbl? I only have one really good lex on my FL but i wanna play other lex players.