What's new

Are you going to be playing on Pad or stick?

Pad or Stick?

• Total voters

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
Just a poll to see how many players will be playing on pad or stick respectively. I'm debating on getting another stick as the last time I played on stick was with Injustice 1.

I always felt more comfortable with MK on pad as opposed to stick and Injustice the opposite but I feel like this game could benefit from stick.

When using the pad to most players use the depad or analog stick for movement?
I've never seen somebody play a fighter on pad that uses the analog stick, at least not if you plan on playing the game more than 5 minutes. Pretty sure most if not all pad players use the dpad.

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
I actually just started trying to learn MKX on stick today. So I'm putting that as my tentative answer.

Honestly was never happy with my personal inability to be as precise as I'd like with my thumb in terms of the Dualshock d-pad and I use a stick in pretty much every other game (and I at the very least try almost literally every other game), so I figure it's about time I bite the bullet and try it out with MK. Still trying to work out what my most comfy button layout is.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
I played the last few nrs games on pad but I recently got a stick when sc6 came out and plan to use it for mk 11. I played the whole stress test on stick and didn't have any problems so I'll probably just rock it

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
I will never play a fighting game on a pad ever again. It's unnatural feeling to me. I played the stress test on a pad first, since I did not know that the button config option was on the VS. screen. It was a horrible experience for me. When I saw the "Triangle" settings config option, I plugged stick in and started doing much better.

My hat goes off to all the pad players who have mastered it. The thumb dexterity alone needed to play on a pad is high. I can't do it. Stick all the way for me.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
I play FG's on pad, stick, and a mixbox, depending game to game.

That said, I will probably be playing on pad. If I could get a modern stick with a 5 button star layout like old MK i could play on stick, but I find it annoying to find the right button to bind to block on stick on the usual japanese style layout.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Stick all the way. I tried the pad, but I just can't understand how to use my thumb to click all those buttons, and don't get me started on the D-pad.

It's much quicker, faster, easier, to be able to use your whole hand with a stick. AND the button presses are satisfying AF.

t3kwytch3r

Stone-Kold-Zoner
When using the pad to most players use the depad or analog stick for movement?
I've never seen somebody play a fighter on pad that uses the analog stick, at least not if you plan on playing the game more than 5 minutes. Pretty sure most if not all pad players use the dpad.
With Mortal Kombat, i've always used a pad, D-Pad over analogue sticks for movement.

With SF however i usually use analogue. Helps with those down charge super moves.

My down button on pad stopped working recently while playing MKX though, so i had to switch to analogue which was a nightmare. Then, it fixed itself and trying to go back is more difficult. I keep performing special moves instead of D2 or low pokes by accidentally hiiting DB2 or DB3

I'm not averse to getting a stick but i've played pad my whole life and learning a new game is hard enough without adding another complex layer of new muscle memory to it.

Any specific stick you guys would recommend?

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
How do you like it compared to the PS4 pad?
I grabbed a Hori fight commander 4 for MKX a few years back and primarily switched to it for all my fighting games. I love the D-pad for it and you can rotate it and customize the sensitivity on it. Really helped clean up all my input mistakes on MKX.

Going to note that its a big controller and a lot wider than the PS4 pad, without as much grip on it, I have fairly large hands and long sets would make my hands cramp a bit.

The quality is solid, The buttons are big and feel snappy and responsive, the shoulder buttons aren't as springy as recent pads and have a much more PS2 pad era feel to them. Its been 3 years I'd had with this controller and its still working just fine. I've heard rotating the D-pad a lot can cause it to become a bit loose, but I haven't experience that personally.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
I prefer the Hori FC over the Hori FC4, personally. Feels more like an old Sega Saturn controller (the gold standard) and the whole rotating d-pad gimmick did nothing for me anyway.

For me personally, this sort of controller is an absolute must when it comes to 6 button fighters like SF, and still a notable preference over the stock controller when it comes to any other fighters.

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
I'll be doing Hitbox specifically again. I feel like it allows for more precise execution necessary to nail the more complicated cancels and combo inputs. That's personally just me though. I've seen some insane level of execution come from pad and stick users firsthand too...