What's new

Are you going to be playing on Pad or stick?

Pad or Stick?

• Total voters

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
I got one too but havent tried it during the Stress Test. Think playing on that is better than the original PS4 controller? Playing on Stick is waaaaay overrated these days.
How do you like it compared to the PS4 pad?
I couldn't play without it. The DS4 pad just kills my thumb, I guess from sliding over the grooves all the time. Also, the triggers are buttons. So there's less time going from a blocking state to not blocking and vise versa, good for counter poking.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
I got one too but havent tried it during the Stress Test. Think playing on that is better than the original PS4 controller? Playing on Stick is waaaaay overrated these days.
I have had two hori FC4's during MKX time and they both broke. Poorly made and the ps4 dpad is better in the end anyways. MK11 I am sticking with ps4 pad.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I couldn't play without it. The DS4 pad just kills my thumb, I guess from sliding over the grooves all the time. Also, the triggers are buttons. So there's less time going from a blocking state to not blocking and vise versa, good for counter poking.
Hmmmmm...I guess I should try it during the beta. I mean, i play the Hori commander playing SC6 because of the mapping of shortcut buttons are very convenient. But MK11 don't have many buttons to preface that, but I shall give it a shot to see if it works better for me. Thank ya kindly for your input :)

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
When using the pad to most players use the depad or analog stick for movement?
I've never seen somebody play a fighter on pad that uses the analog stick, at least not if you plan on playing the game more than 5 minutes. Pretty sure most if not all pad players use the dpad.
I would be the exception to that rule. It highly depends on the fighting game I'm playing. If I'm playing mk I strictly use the dpad. If it's a game with qcb movements or anything of the like. GG, BB, SF, etc... I mix. I quickly jump from the pad to the analog stick depending on the input I need in the given situation. So using BB as an example. it would be.
Dpad <B C 3C,> analog <632146D>
how dare you leave out hitbox? insulting.
Hitbox is for scrubs:DOGE

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
MK is not that hard to play on pad actually. Tekken and SF must be played on stick though. But there was a guy who won EVA with a PS ONE pad lol

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Stick, but with this new change to the execution of meter burn moves, I don't know anymore. My layout has always been the following on stick:

1 FS 2
3 BL 4

I never used individual buttons for throws or interactables. I always just pushed 1+2 or 1+3 for them. I could trigger X-Ray easily with middle two buttons. Now....I need to find a new place for INT.

Not only is it awkward to not hit BLOCK for the meter burn, but now aside from being a different button, my Fatal Blow input is also fucked. I used this setup for the beta:

1 INT 2 TH
3 BL 4 FS

Hitting block and flip stance together is incredibly awkward, especially considering that I have NEVER used the 7th and 8th buttons on my stick.

I really don't know what to do. I've always tried to keep my MK stick layouts as faithful to the arcades as possible, but this may be the game where I'm forced to change it. I REALLY don't see myself getting used to having block anywhere aside from in the middle of my attack buttons, though.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
I have a question regarding pads. Is it true that wired PS4 pad has better response than remote one?
General consensus is that any wired controller will respond faster than its wireless counterpart. Probably even more so with regards to the DS4, as bluetooth is susceptible to outside interference.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I would be the exception to that rule. It highly depends on the fighting game I'm playing. If I'm playing mk I strictly use the dpad. If it's a game with qcb movements or anything of the like. GG, BB, SF, etc... I mix. I quickly jump from the pad to the analog stick depending on the input I need in the given situation. So using BB as an example. it would be.
Dpad <B C 3C,> analog <632146D>

Hitbox is for scrubs:DOGE
Totally unrelated, but omg your sig lmao.

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
General consensus is that any wired controller will respond faster than its wireless counterpart. Probably even more so with regards to the DS4, as bluetooth is susceptible to outside interference.
Plus the newer models of the ds4 can connect directly to the console via cable. Before then the connection wasn't a 'true' wired connection. The new models (with the light bar showing through the TouchPad) will connect directly via the wire. There's a toggle in the menu to apply the setting. Although if you accidentally disconnect the controller it will power off instead of stay on.

Totally unrelated, but omg your sig lmao.
:)

C-Sword

Noob
Not promising anything, but people at Brook have ordered the Sega USB controller that Retro-bit are putting out, it has been getting crazy good reviews, they might be able to make it work on PS4.

I've always been a pad player in every fighting game I've ever played. I can play well enough on stick, but only on an actual arcade cabinet. I think it's mostly a height thing. I'm short, so playing with a stick in my lap is a little unwieldy to say the least.