What's new

Are we one step closer to getting custom variations for competitive play?

Ayx

Omnipresent
What´s so hard to give it a try and if it´s too busted go back to tournament variations?
Because we'll end up in the exact same position we are now but worse. Some will get a dose of ranked being kustom and as always, it's a loud minority when it comes to competitive integrity. You got to realize A nasty meta will develop that will take the game months to adapt. FT2s are already a problem as explained before. People are picking pocket characters to counter play as it is. (Look at Sonic vs Killa this earlier Kombat League. You think that Killa went to study the Yaas Queen cassie MU before hand when maybe 5% of Cassie players use it?) People are rarely using the lesser picked variation for komp but the moment they do I'm sure you will throw your hands up in the air and say "wow he got away w/ that win because I had NO clue how to fight that." now imagine that.. by 25+ characters... by 8+ moves and X amount of combinations each.

Again, tournament plays are FT2 ONLY with a FT3 sprinkled in once in a while. There's nothing competitive about having a pocket X character w/ a super gimmick setup that sneaks in a win in a FT2. The results will be inconsistent and this game will take easily a year before it should become acceptable. 2 months in.. NO.

I'll never understand why you'd make a game and advertise the fuck out of all this cool stuff your characters can do and all this awesome customization and then say, OH but if you want to play this game seriously, you can't use any of this stuff!

Let's just do away with variations if customs won't be allowed. I wanna be able to use all the abilities in the game. As is, there's ton of moves that NRS put time and love into designing that I'll literally never see/use. Wasted development.
Because you can play and enjoy those variations like they're meant to be: for fun . Once you play in a competitive setting, there's always rules to abide by and the rules for us is to play with restricted variations. You're free to search for rooms or kasuals online and play FT20s w/ custom settings. They advertise to the casuals who don't play this game competitively and probably just bop the AI over and over, play story mode and ToT and maybe some casuals because they know competitive is its own animal. Casuals know it, NRS knows it. Just because it's "wasted development" for you because you're the 10% who plays competitively and you will never use/see it, doesn't mean its wasted. It's just not meant for you as the target audience of that marketing campaign. Simple.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Because you can play and enjoy those variations like they're meant to be: for fun . Once you play in a competitive setting, there's always rules to abide by and the rules for us is to play with restricted variations. You're free to search for rooms or kasuals online and play FT20s w/ custom settings. They advertise to the casuals who don't play this game competitively and probably just bop the AI over and over, play story mode and ToT and maybe some casuals because they know competitive is its own animal. Casuals know it, NRS knows it. Just because it's "wasted development" for you because you're the 10% who plays competitively and you will never use/see it, doesn't mean its wasted. It's just not meant for you as the target audience of that marketing campaign. Simple.
You aren't going to get quality matches by playing custom variations. No good players trying to play the game competitively and give mu knowledge are going to play with you, or at least, not many.

Playing vs people that know nothing of how the game should be played and could basically just be rolling their faces on the controller is definitely not "fun" lol. Which is entirely why all moves in the game (a la MK9) should be usable by everyone. Don't lock content away from competitive players just because we like to have serious matches or because that's our idea of fun.

Customs for all allows everyone the opportunity to enjoy all the things that NRS put time into crafting, competitive or not. So does having no variations. This locking away of content is bullshit.

Ayx

Omnipresent
You aren't going to get quality matches by playing custom variations. No good players trying to play the game competitively and give mu knowledge are going to play with you, or at least, not many.

Playing vs people that know nothing of how the game should be played and could basically just be rolling this face on the controller isn't "fun" lol. Which is entirely why all moves in the game (a la MK9) should be usable by everyone. Don't lock content away from competitive players just because we like to have serious matches or because that's our idea of fun.

Customs for all allows everyone the opportunity to enjoy all the things that NRS put time into crafting, competitive or not. So does having no variations. This locking away of content is bullshit.
Right.. because there's no point. People who are playing this game competitively already have to learn 50 matchups. even if you know the basics, I doubt you know every single matchup and gimmick that person can do. You only get one game to learn it/adapt and if you lose decide if you are going to counterpick or not. That's it.. that's how FT2s are today. There's no breathing room and you can already see on some people's twitters sonya or jacqui's piss easy 50%+ combos on kustom variations. You're telling me against sonya a char w/ 30% bnbs you're going to wait until the 50% comes out for you to breakaway? chances are you won't.

Maybe not fun for you. But this game was designed for kasuals and also focused on competitive, but in its own niche. (Flawless Block + Punish, crouch to dodge the 50/50 throws etc.). Enjoy what? Enjoy losing your chance at a tournament after you flew hours to compete in just so you can get completely gimmicked in a FT2 by a 50/50 off poke Noob Saibot? Just because you're crying that you can't play customs in your ranked games doesn't mean it's not a good idea that we have tournament variations. Ranked is tournament gameplay practice (in theory). I think you are complaining for the sake of complaining when you haven't done your homework on how busted some of these compositions are or would be once pros are allowed to use them.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Right.. because there's no point. People who are playing this game competitively already have to learn 50 matchups. even if you know the basics, I doubt you know every single matchup and gimmick that person can do. You only get one game to learn it/adapt and if you lose decide if you are going to counterpick or not. That's it.. that's how FT2s are today. There's no breathing room and you can already see on some people's twitters sonya or jacqui's piss easy 50%+ combos on kustom variations. You're telling me against sonya a char w/ 30% bnbs you're going to wait until the 50% comes out for you to breakaway? chances are you won't.

Maybe not fun for you. But this game was designed for kasuals and also focused on competitive, but in its own niche. (Flawless Block + Punish, crouch to dodge the 50/50 throws etc.). Enjoy what? Enjoy losing your chance at a tournament after you flew hours to compete in just so you can get completely gimmicked in a FT2 by a 50/50 off poke Noob Saibot? Just because you're crying that you can't play customs in your ranked games doesn't mean it's not a good idea that we have tournament variations. Ranked is tournament gameplay practice (in theory). I think you are complaining for the sake of complaining when you haven't done your homework on how busted some of these compositions are or would be once pros are allowed to use them.
That's what... le gasp... balance patches are for.

Also, conflicting moves if moves together would be too ridiculous.

Also, the slot system, some moves require more than one slot, meaning you get less of the other moves. Something too strong? Up the slot requirement. But sure keep locking stuff away cause it'll be too hard to adapt to. lmfao what a dumb reason.