What's new

Arcade Stick Promotion from Arcade in a Box for UMK members!

PapaJester said:
Actually, part of the problem is you CAN'T reconfigure in UMK3 for the 360. So the button assignments have to be hard-wired exactly right.

Here it is:

Joystick-----------X--------Y
------------------------RB
--------------------A--------B
---------------LB

Hope that helps. Once the rash of cool games coming out dries up, I'l probably be getting back into MK more, so I hope you'll be making sticks for a while.
Wow, I'm glad I asked. Thanks bud.

Yes, I've been in business for about 9 years now, I'm not going anywhere, it's just too much fun ;).

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Yeah Ed, that question was in one of my emails, the button layout should be set to the arcade default MK format since you can't reconfigure UMK3 on XBLA. PapaJester's is the correct layout and each stick should be shipped like that. I was going to make sure to point that out regardless.

ArcadEd said:
Since you all seem to be the go to gang for MK, I wanted to get your opinion on my MK3 layout.

How should the buttons be wired by default.

For example.

Joystick-----------A--------B
--------------------X--------Y
---------------LB

I guess it really doesnt' matter much since you can just reconfigure, but I like to ship each one out the same.

Let me know your thoughts.
Yea man, we CANT reconfigure the buttons on Xbox Live UMK3. Which is a big problem. You need to use the layout papajester suggested :)

Glad I could help, Ed. Also, if I can make a suggestion, Any kind of configuration discussions/questions people have over email, maybe it'd be a good idea to post copies of the exchange here (with all involved parties' permission, of course). That way, people get answers to questions they might not have even had yet, and you don't have to address the same question 85 separate times. I guess you could think of it as a rough-draft FAQ. The only reason I say this is because affordable arcade sticks are a wet dream for a lot of XBox Live players here, so there's bound to be a lot of questions, and doubtless, a lot of repeated ones.

EDIT: So everyone knows, it looks like everything (to USA addresses, anyway) goes FedEx Ground, so shipping would be about 15 bucks. So a 1-Player 360 stick with no frills would be about 164.00 shipped. If someone knows different, please feel free to correct me.

PapaJester said:
ArcadEd said:
Since you all seem to be the go to gang for MK, I wanted to get your opinion on my MK3 layout.

How should the buttons be wired by default.

For example.

Joystick-----------A--------B
--------------------X--------Y
---------------LB

I guess it really doesnt' matter much since you can just reconfigure, but I like to ship each one out the same.

Let me know your thoughts.

Actually, part of the problem is you CAN'T reconfigure in UMK3 for the 360. So the button assignments have to be hard-wired exactly right.

Here it is:

Joystick-----------X--------Y
--------------------A--------B
---------------LB

Hope that helps. Once the rash of cool games coming out dries up, I'l probably be getting back into MK more, so I hope you'll be making sticks for a while.
Yeesh, yeah.. what Jester said(as if everyone else more credible hasn't already made it clear enough).

Man, I've my 360 almost a year now and I STILL don't know the buttons. :oops:

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I thinks are the next phase of things to keep UMK3 interesting for the newer guys and help last through the big titles that come out, I know there are dozens of players on this site alone looking for UMK3 specific controllers.

dreemernj

Ambassador
And even for shmucks like me without a 360 it's a very tempting offer since it's compatible with XP and Vista.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
You could just replace the buttons on my other stick and see how that goes. It'd be a good way to find out if it's the PCB that is the problem, but I had similar issues with the stick when it was PSX/CPU only eventually.

dreemernj

Ambassador
Ed posted a pick of the insides of one of his sticks on the SRK thread. I figured I would copy it over since he's running around between a bunch of forums these days.

Other cool info posted elsewhere:

what kind of warranty do you offer on your sticks if any?
1 year, unless you drop it in the toilet or fling it at your wall in a fit of Street Fighter rage.

How does a mag stick work? You can switch between 4 way and 8 way? I don't see no stinkin switch!
What you do is Lift up the stick, and turn it. When you lift it, a little piece of metal catches, then when you spin it flips the switch. It's pretty cool.

My only complaint about these joysticks is their "Play". They are very tight. You move the stick maybe 1/8" before the switch is activated. Then it doesn't move much more past that.

For custom overlays: can you do an overlay for a buyer-provided image? Or does it specifically have to come from your library of overlays?
Of course. The collection of artwork I have is actually arcade restoration artwork and it barely ever used as it is. I just use that art to create other stuff. If you go to my site, and go to the 360 solo page, you will see I added templates to be downloaded for the different layouts.

I want X, Y, LB on the top row, not A, B, RB. Can I get that?
Not a problem, if you decide to buy one, just add in the comments section during checkout exactly how you want it and I'll take care of it.

That doesn't look like a Microsoft controller PCB. I had a very hard time soldering to the relatively impossible contact points on the Microsoft controller. I think Frankie mentioned to me how the Madcatz controllers have larger copper pads (and without that black shit covering the copper) that would be easier for soldering.

Can anyone else provide input on this? This is the only thing preventing me from using my MAME sticks on XBLA.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
There is a controller called "The Neo" or something, possibly a sports controller, official 360 but not the original. Si Illusions told me about it when I first got on live and started talking about getting a custom stick made, it has an easier to deal with PCB and I think the PCB itself might even be a little smaller. I dunno if this is the one but there are other options.

Yes, I use the madcatz because they are much easier to deal with, and work fine with the Microsoft 360 Gamepad drivers for xp and vista.

There is the Micron Madcatz, or something like that. It's a bit smaller, not too bad to deal with and has a common ground.

Derek

Noob
From what I've seen the Sixaxis controller is too hard to re-wire. You're better off buying the Hori Real Arcade Pro and modding the damn thing. Ed, I'll probably be picking up a stick from you around January. I'd have bought it this month except Guitar Hero 3 is priority right now.

Also did you figure out of Seimistu buttons would work on 3/4" wood?

l SuGaR l said:
From what I've seen the Sixaxis controller is too hard to re-wire. You're better off buying the Hori Real Arcade Pro and modding the damn thing. Ed, I'll probably be picking up a stick from you around January. I'd have bought it this month except Guitar Hero 3 is priority right now.

Also did you figure out of Seimistu buttons would work on 3/4" wood?
I'm ordering some Sanwa and Seimitsu buttons this week. I'll keep you posted.

Any left handed MK players out there? I did about 3 panel tops earlier this week and forgot to mirror the image before programming it into the CNC. DOH!

So I have 2 or 3 Left Handed mortal kombat layouts if anyone is interested :).

Tim Static

Adminerator
ArcadEd said:
Any left handed MK players out there? I did about 3 panel tops earlier this week and forgot to mirror the image before programming it into the CNC. DOH!

So I have 2 or 3 Left Handed mortal kombat layouts if anyone is interested :).
Left handed? Shit I never though of that. I wonder what its like. My guess is better than a 360 pad :shock:

Derek

Noob
There was a post on SRK's custom stick thread of some guy who made a lefty stick and everyone asked him if he knew the stick was on the wrong side. :lol:

Tim Static

Adminerator
A left handed stick would make me feel like I was shifting to 3rd gear, lol.

I dont think I've ever seen a left handed stick. Thats crazy!

Well it was a thought anyway. I've had people ask me to make stick for a lefty for PC (stick on the right, buttons on the left). SO I figured I would ask. I'll just put these bad boys in storage, you never know what someone will ask for LOL.