What's new

Question Aquaman's Worst Matchups??

Sami

Noob
Raven is clearly trash tier.

On a serious note: here's an opinion of the Ravan/Aquaman match-up from somebody who isn't Blind_Man

Raven presents Aquaman with 2 problems. I'm not saying this is in Raven's favour, simply that she has some good tools to deal with Aquaman.

1) She can put him full screen with b23 which gives her free safe trait. Aquaman has a bit of a mission getting back in as Raven can play the same trick with her pillars as Aquaman can with FTD (pillar, MB, pillar). If her specials are being blocked she is building loads of meter. Repeated spamming of pillars and full-screen grab is punishable by FTD, but mixing up the timings (and mixing them up with Soul Crush) make them mostly safe.

Soul Crush is also an excellent option against a far-away Aquaman as it beats FTD all day erry day. Block FTD? Reversal with guaranteed Soul Crush. If random Soul Crush gets blocked, it can't be punished by FTD regardless of what the frame data says, and if you try then you will just be hit with another Soul Crush.

2) She can nullify Aquaman's trait pressure and escape. Her grabs have excellent range and immediately put the opponent in the air. If Aquaman is using trait to throw out unsafe moves, providing Raven blocks them she can reversal into a MB grab and combo punish regardless of whether Aquaman's trait is active. Grabs can also be performed off jump-3 as well (j3 11~lift or j3 d1~lift). This ties into #1 above, as the full combo can be ended with b23~4 to put him full screen and Raven in demon stance. Now, Aquaman of course has the choice of not throwing out unsafe moves with trait, but this then limits the kind of close-up pressure he can put out. That pressure is still pretty damned good, just not as good as when facing other characters.

As for Raven's bad-matchups, it's better described as bad moves. Advancing armoured moves fuck her up more than anything else in this game. I'm sure you can work out the match-ups based on that. And Scorpion once he gets his momentum going.

edit: tag removed

Blind_Ducky

Princess of the Sisterhood
Raven is clearly trash tier.

On a serious note: here's an opinion of the Ravan/Aquaman match-up from somebody who isn't Blind_Man

Raven presents Aquaman with 2 problems. I'm not saying this is in Raven's favour, simply that she has some good tools to deal with Aquaman.

1) She can put him full screen with b23 which gives her free safe trait. Aquaman has a bit of a mission getting back in as Raven can play the same trick with her pillars as Aquaman can with FTD (pillar, MB, pillar). If her specials are being blocked she is building loads of meter. Repeated spamming of pillars and full-screen grab is punishable by FTD, but mixing up the timings (and mixing them up with Soul Crush) make them mostly safe.

Soul Crush is also an excellent option against a far-away Aquaman as it beats FTD all day erry day. Block FTD? Reversal with guaranteed Soul Crush. If random Soul Crush gets blocked, it can't be punished by FTD regardless of what the frame data says, and if you try then you will just be hit with another Soul Crush.

2) She can nullify Aquaman's trait pressure and escape. Her grabs have excellent range and immediately put the opponent in the air. If Aquaman is using trait to throw out unsafe moves, providing Raven blocks them she can reversal into a MB grab and combo punish regardless of whether Aquaman's trait is active. Grabs can also be performed off jump-3 as well (j3 11~lift or j3 d1~lift). This ties into #1 above, as the full combo can be ended with b23~4 to put him full screen and Raven in demon stance. Now, Aquaman of course has the choice of not throwing out unsafe moves with trait, but this then limits the kind of close-up pressure he can put out. That pressure is still pretty damned good, just not as good as when facing other characters.

As for Raven's bad-matchups, it's better described as bad moves. Advancing armoured moves fuck her up more than anything else in this game. I'm sure you can work out the match-ups based on that. And Scorpion once he gets his momentum going.
Why am I being tagged in this? Because my opinion about anything related to Raven is valued by everyone in her sub forum right?

Sami

Noob
Why am I being tagged in this? Because my opinion about anything related to Raven is valued by everyone in her sub forum right?
Actually, it was more that yours is the only opinion that people seem to value outside of the Raven forums ;)

edit: as for why I @'ed it, it seems I don't quote understand tagging etiquette on TYM. Figured if you were going to mention somebody you might as well let them know.

Blind_Ducky

Princess of the Sisterhood
Actually, it was more that yours is the only opinion that people seem to value outside of the Raven forums ;)

edit: as for why I @'ed it, it seems I don't quote understand tagging etiquette on TYM. Figured if you were going to mention somebody you might as well let them know.
Because they're the ones who've seen what she can actually do. Surprising right?

CamChattic

Eternal Champion of Justice
Aquaman doesn't have any bad match ups he can blow up supes f23 game most reliable aa in the game not only has the most restarted pokes in the game put you have to guess/ react to which direction you defend against them meaning you just can't be confident about walking up and blocking against him. Th only character who I think is better is black Adam and I'm not sure i believe he's a bad mu for aqua

Zenrot

Noob
How exactly does he blow up supes f23 game? The whole point behind Superman's f23 game is that he has an answer for everyone else's answers.

Edit: Are you sure you don't mean "I think Aquaman is the best character in the game?" You can still have bad MU's even if you're #1. I don't think Aquaman has many, but Lantern and even Frost somewhat give him problem.

Idk how we can say Aquaman has no bad MUs when Green Lantern exists. It's not unwinnable by any means but it sure doesn't feel like Aquaman's favor.
I agree Zen, listen I've been an AM main since the game came out now I am not the best but I feel like I know the character well enough but hey AM indeed has bad MU's. GL is a very big pain in my ass and if you don't believe me play my boy lll Orochi lll and he'll show how much of a pain GL can be but for instance I've lost some MU's to you Zen. To me BA, GL, Supes or any other character can be a bad MU for AM if the player is knowledgeable. Sometimes it's like playing chess and your move determines if your king is taken or not.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Okay aquaman does not lose to green lantern.... what are you guys having problems with in the matchup? I mean I will be playing it more offline soon... but so far I don't see a problem.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Thoughts on the hawkgirl MU? we have a local AQ player and all the online ones I play get salty saying she's really good against him as he has no "air control".

I personally think its 5-5 but I'd hear some thoughts from the Aquaman side of the MU.

Okay aquaman does not lose to green lantern.... what are you guys having problems with in the matchup? I mean I will be playing it more offline soon... but so far I don't see a problem.
What strategy are you using? I am a pretty decent Aqua IMO but I seem to get caught in his reset, usually starts with the low sweep overhead or lantern's might. Shit maybe playing my friend lll Orochi lll has intimidated me when going against the character but still gives me issues, the trait isn't worth shit when you're being juggled for some serious damage. Any advice is appreciated and for BA if any.

Thoughts on the hawkgirl MU? we have a local AQ player and all the online ones I play get salty saying she's really good against him as he has no "air control".

I personally think its 5-5 but I'd hear some thoughts from the Aquaman side of the MU.
I really haven't had the pleasure of going against HG too often but the ones I do always tend fly through out the match and try to out zone by using her mase, I personally try to rush down underneath her and D2 which works a good amount of the time but not always. I found that if I try to J2 her out the air she'll do a charge in the air which is knock down. My main strat is to keep her grounded, in the air it can become a bit cumbersome.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
What strategy are you using? I am a pretty decent Aqua IMO but I seem to get caught in his reset, usually starts with the low sweep overhead or lantern's might. Shit maybe playing my friend lll Orochi lll has intimidated me when going against the character but still gives me issues, the trait isn't worth shit when you're being juggled for some serious damage. Any advice is appreciated and for BA if any.
Wait explain what is catching you again, I'm sorry I'm not following. Do you mean like he knocks you down and does his mix up? I'll post some stuff about those two matchups in a little bit, once i get a computer. What's messing you up about black Adam?

Zenrot

Noob
The GL reset isn't the issue. We also arguably win the battle at range. More of the problem is that Green Lantern's ideal zone is also ours, and he's just a bit better at it than we are.

Minigun, Lantern's Might, and b1 all outrange our moves of choice and two of those options lead to (almost in the case of b1) instant launch states.

Zenrot

Noob

I think this is 5-5 or even slightly in Aquaman's favor. His d2 is massive and you can beat her wake-up mace attack with Water Shield on reaction.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
I think this is 5-5 or even slightly in Aquaman's favor. His d2 is massive and you can beat her wake-up mace attack with Water Shield on reaction.
Arent you taking the damage that way? the trident throw will beat Mace charge on wake up and you take no damage.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Killer Frost has horrendous recovery on her Back 2 which gives Aquaman enough time to B12, trait or B12 xx DB1, Trident toss. I will agree that B1 is good for footsies against KF, but maybe its from my own experience that I don't find this matchup the slightest bit of hard. I would agree with the thought that Cyborg being a bad matchup for Aquaman for his quick frames and his corner pressure. I have yet to play a good Raven that does more than B21 spam me and just abuses the trait just because it looks cool.
b2, what is that move? luls

FrozenG3oX

<3 gimmicks
black adam- aqua 6-4
GL- aqua 5.5-4.5 or even 6-4
Supes - aqua 6-4...but in my opinion supes goes 6-4 with almost everyone except adam.

Jay Rupp

Human Smoke or Riot
To be honest he is probably 5-5 or better on everything. There might be one or two bad matchups but I can't really think of one. I used to have so much trouble with Batman but I've practice and that matchup might even be slightly in aquamans favor.

You're kidding right? You should never lose to Batman. Almost all of AM's abilities counter him, even his trait. Batman is a rush down character, and you got a 7 ft trident with a gigantic hitbox. Come on bro.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
Ive worked on that matchup a long time now. Imo only gls that are zone happy beat him. You have to punish his full screen air darts and learn when to dash underneath his 3/4 screen ones( which are safe for gl if timed right against AM). Other than that just bait out the lift on wakeup. Do not be agressive on knockdowns and follow up with pressure or your free to the lift. This matchup used to be 7-3 to me but with work its more 6-4. It can become 5-5 if you get the early life lead.

MrSoloLobo

I have a keen eye for all things broken.
You're kidding right? You should never lose to Batman. Almost all of AM's abilities counter him, even his trait. Batman is a rush down character, and you got a 7 ft trident with a gigantic hitbox. Come on bro.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Dude idk how long ago I posted that but I was a NOOB. lol well still am. My aquaman days are behind me, and btw I still think he doesn't really have bad matchups. My opinion is obviously not that valid since i dont play him anymore though.