What's new

Question Aquaman's Worst Matchups??

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
It's still a tool that can be used as a popup, I'm mostly aware of this as I am too a KF player. Her slide is still punishable on certain moves Aqauman does, and the slide is a huge part *not so much as her parry* of her metagame; midscreen wise.
Uhh...

Punishable slide? Use of b2? Lol you sure you're a KF player? Her slide is unpunishable. He can check her with b1 afterwards, but that's not a punish. And I still don't see why you are using b2 at all.

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
Uhh...

Punishable slide? Use of b2? Lol you sure you're a KF player? Her slide is unpunishable. He can check her with b1 afterwards, but that's not a punish. And I still don't see why you are using b2 at all.

In all the matches I've played against KF with aqua I've never punished. If I tried to, she would just ice parry me.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
ColdBoresupost: 889479 said:
In all the matches I've played against KF with aqua I've never punished. If I tried to, she would just ice parry me.
Its - 4 so only Superman punishes it. I believe your b1 is a low, no? If it is, then that's a good check because she can't parry lows. You can also grab or do neutral Jump 2 if you believe she will parry.

dabuz

Noob
Killer Frost is Aquaman's hardest MU IMO, hard enough that picking up BA for that MU is well worth the time investment. I think Nightwing (Staff) is also a tough MU for Aqua, luckily BA also gives Nightwing trouble. Besides those 2 I don't think Aquaman has any particularly bad MUs (nothing worse than 4-6)

Its - 4 so only Superman punishes it. I believe your b1 is a low, no? If it is, then that's a good check because she can't parry lows. You can also grab or do neutral Jump 2 if you believe she will parry.
I apologize for that comment as I didn't know what the heck I was trying to say.

D

Deleted member 9158

Pretty sure Black Adam goes even with him at least

Oh and while Batgirl had her infinite she 10-0'd him

I kid of course.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Idk, I don't see much that aquaman can do to her, especially when she gets the life lead. His zoning is out of the question, f1 mixups aren't in your favor, and your trait is useless. B1 is pretty good and you can play footsie with that, but other than that, I don't really see how killer frost doesn't win
This may sound crazy, but I think b1 is that good against her that it makes the mu even. Neither character can really press any buttons at long range and then they get to right outside sweep where kf can't slide cuz it gets b1ed on reaction, so there is like this dead zone. It's very life lead based.

I think any character with strong mixups can be difficult for me but that isn't specific to Aquaman, just my lack of skill at guessing. I agree with previous posts that KF, BA, and Raven in the right hands can be a challenge, though.

Ben Reed

Marine Biologist
Of all the matchups I've fought against good players so far, I gotta say Frost is probably the hardest. I don't think she's any harder than 6-4, but she takes some serious knowledge in order to suppress. She has good zoning, combos that end in some seriously loaded reset mixups, and a safe slide you must respect at all times, especially on wakeup. If you get the life lead on her, you need to defend it with your life.

Nightwing I'm still debating. Finally got the chance to fight some decent Nightwings and his staff pressure is STUPID. So hard to pushblock pressure that's made almost entirely of single advantageous d1s. I would say he might be 6-4 against Aquaman, but I wouldn't put it any higher than that.

I wouldn't put ANY matchup with Aquaman worse than 6-4 the other guy, though, because there's so many more variables to these matchups than in similarly paced single-matchup 2D games like, well...SF4. Clash, bigger damage, weaker wakeup game, stage elements, so many ways to flip the theory in your favor with a little creative thinking (and strategic ballsiness). I played Bison vs. Guile for years and that matchup (7-3 Guile) was MISERABLE. You weren't winning that unless Guile was a choke artist or a retard. Bad matchups for Aquaman in this game are like a frolic in the daisies by comparison, lol.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
Raven is a hard 5-5, possibly 4.5-5.5 for the fact she controls the game completely fullscreen. Up close the battle is definetely in Aquaman's favor thanks to his superior footsies and range. Fullscreen is a chore for Aquaman lto make his way in because Raven punishes Ground Trident while Aquaman can't punish Soul Crush. Plus, with Raven's trait into the mix she gets an edge with her Pillars barrage and fullscreen Singularity / Soul Crush; whereas Aquaman's trait is nearly useless in this MU.

Superman feels 4-6 at the moment. Superman has footsies as good as Aquaman, his air dash cross ups can actually beat D2 unless you read them or react on point, and Aquaman's trait is useless given how quickly he launches. Fullscreen Aquaman can punish a ducked Heat Zap or a jumped Air Heat Vision with Ground Trident. Unfortunately, that is dependant on Superman mindlessly using Heat Zap and doing Air Heat Vision too high, which won't happen against a good Superman.

Black Adam is certainly no easy ride. Right now I don't know if it is 5-5 or 4-6 because I still have problems myself dealing with him as a character in general. Though he is a lot like Raven: he runs away while chipping with Lightning and whiff punishing with Divekick, then his backdash practically nullifies Aquaman's footsies. Aquaman's trait is nearly useless in this MU as well.

Green Lantern is a solid 5-5 in my opinion. Green Lantern's zoning is no where near as troublesome as Raven's and Superman's nor as damaging on block as Superman's and Black Adam's. Up close the both have equally good footsies and can punish each other's unsafe launchers hard.

From what I've seen, his only really hard match-ups are, as everyone else has said, Supes, Adam, KF, Lantern, and Raven. Aside from Raven, all of those characters are other members of the present top 5 of the game IMO (maybe Batman instead of Lantern depending on the day), so it's probably to be expected that those characters are gonna give everyone problems.

But personally, I struggle a lot with Lanterns; I like the fight up close if you can get it there and everything feels really even there, but I feel like GL's zoning is a lot more effective than people give it credit for if they're smart about their air rocket placement (or maybe I'm just bad at punishing it, idk). They can also push you all the way back to nearly midscreen with a MB machine gun on block, you can't jump at all because of the grab which gives you one less option, and his primary punisher blows up trait no problem so you don't have your panic button in play. It's certainly not insurmountable, but it's definitely my worst personal matchup.

I can see Black Adam being a bad matchup for him because he can out-zone him with Thunder Bolt, (Which Aquaman still takes damage from his parry) and of course BA's dive kick.

Killer Frost because she has one hit launchers, so Aquaman can't trait out of her combos.

I can see Nightwing being a bad matchups because of Seismos and his air fireball is pretty annoying.

Raven is pretty bad.

Can someone give me a good reason as to why Green Lantern is a bad matchup? Because I don't see it...

I just think Aquaman does well against all vortex characters. He takes away the mixup.

supernumian

Triborg Enthusiast
Personally I have a hell hard time fighting against:
- Black Adam (of course :confused:)
- Killer Frost
- Green Lantern

Dunno if they are his worst match up, but they're for sure my worst match up! :(

DanableLector

UPR DanableLector
So if you guys were preparing for a tournament what 10 characters would you try to prepare for most ?? (I dont have time to extensively break down every matchup so im picking 10 or so) How do you guys prepare for touraments?

Superman feels 4-6 at the moment. Superman has footsies as good as Aquaman, his air dash cross ups can actually beat D2 unless you read them or react on point, and Aquaman's trait is useless given how quickly he launches. Fullscreen Aquaman can punish a ducked Heat Zap or a jumped Air Heat Vision with Ground Trident. Unfortunately, that is dependant on Superman mindlessly using Heat Zap and doing Air Heat Vision too high, which won't happen against a good Superman.

I thought aquaman could trait out of ice breath, considering superman uses this for pretty much all his 30%+ combos I'd say that's far from useless. Unless I'm mistaken and he can't trait out of ice breath.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
I thought aquaman could trait out of ice breath, considering superman uses this for pretty much all his 30%+ combos I'd say that's far from useless. Unless I'm mistaken and he can't trait out of ice breath.
But Superman can use his Trait and do mostly juggle combos. Even if it is only 30%+ at a time, it's still a lot.

Still though, it's 10% less than what everyone else is eating from him on average and %30 less than what he's capable off in the corner. Its not ideal(like the batman match-up) but it's not as bad as black adam, who aquamans trait is almost completely useless against. Also-correct me if I'm wrong-the trait helps defend against box jump mix-ups will it not? So that's another superman players will have to consider.

MrSoloLobo

I have a keen eye for all things broken.
I need a secondary . i don't want to ever fight a nightwing , cyborg or green lantern with Aquaman . can someone tell me a good back-up character for Aqua ?
Just started picking up Superman and he is a good secondary I think. I recommend trying him out unless you don't wanna feel like a tier whore.

If not Superman, Killer Frost or Nightwing should be good secondaries (Luckily for me, I use KF as a secondary character.)