What's new

General/Other Aquaman Pre-Release Info Hub

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Sup bros and hoes.

Since there's been a bunch of information floating around about Aquaman since the first announcement, I feel like we should compile everything to give ourselves a picture of what we have to look forward to.

Playstyle

Strengths: Aquaman appears to be a great zoning and mid-range character. He has great anti-zoning and keepaway capabilities along with the long range of his trident for a strong footsie-based approach.

Weaknesses: His movement seems pretty slow at this point, but this could be balanced with his opponents needing to come to him similar to Kenshi in MK9. Though we don't have the frame data yet, his keepaway ability might mean his normals are relatively slow up close.

Move Descriptions

Credit MK Peanuts , adding some info of my own from the PAX stream footage

Specials:

Down back light: launcher that reverses positions. Hits low. (Revolver: Looks relatively safe on block, enhanced can be seen at 0:25 of Aquaman vs GL)

Down forward light: that move where he stabs you a whole bunch.you can ex it for more stabs. You can spend the bar to ex it even if it whiffs, which I would not have expected. This move is invincible on wakeup. (Revolver: This move was used multiple times in the footage and wasn't punished, it seems to have good pushback on block. It might be a go-to blockstring ender to make your strings safe)

Down back medium: projectile that appears under the opponent. Tracks them wherever they are. The tracking is really good, I never saw it miss the opponent. Pops them up on hit, if close enough you can combo after. The ex spikes them down after the initial pop up. (Revolver: Blockable low).

Back forward medium: standard straight moving projectile, duckable. (Revolver: Looks pretty unsafe on whiff. His trident doesn't re-appear in his hands until it flies off-screen)

Down down heavy: water shield. Aquaman has full super armor as long as you hold the button down but cannot move. You still take damage. Absorbs projectiles, enhanced version pushes the opponent fullscreen.

Character trait: Aquaman gets wet. We don't really know what this does yet.

Super: Hits close-range, can be combo'd into. Appears to send the opponent fullscreen

Throw: Both forward and backward throws seem to send the opponent mid to fullscreen

Normal moves:

Standing heavy: aquaman swings his trident in a big arc. Huge hitbox on this.

Crouching medium: ridiculous anti air, the hitbox is huge and it pops up for a combo. Okay against grounded opponents too although the hitbox does not extend horizontally as much as standing heavy. (1:20 - Aquaman vs Cyborg arena)

Forward heavy: overhead that launches. Reminds me of jades staff overhead. (1:47 - Aquaman vs GL arena)

Jumping heavy: none of Aquamans jumping normals seem good air to air, so if you and your opponent both jump you are probably in some trouble. They also all have small hitboxes that will lose to a lot of grounded normals. This one seems the best of his jumping normals because it can cross up pretty ambiguously. Attacks with the butt end of his trident. Used to continue a lot of combos in promotional videos.

Unsure of command:

Standing -
-Quick attack with the butt end of his trident that we see being cancelled into the trident-rape special to end combos.
-Long range, diagonally upward trident stab that brings airborne opponents grounded behind him. It's used to end combos in a couple videos, we'll see if it's best utilized for that or as a reliable anti-air
-Arced attack with the butt end of the trident. Pretty quick, continues juggles by sending them to midscreen (as used in a video, close enhanced groundspike, this move, mid groundspike)
-Low two-hit attack string in which he stabs his trident into the opponent, planting them on the ground at the end of a juggle state
-3 hit string beginning with a low-looking attack with the butt end of the trident, ending with a knee sending them midscreen
-Big, long range arc swing with the trident, unsure if it launches.
-3 hit string beginning with a short high jab, last hit cancelable into special

Crouching -
-short, normal d1-looking attack with his trident

Air -

-A short kick, seems to have a pretty small hitbox

Videos:

Release Trailer

Combat Trailer

IGN Breakdown

Battle Arena - Aquaman vs Cyborg

Battle Arena - Aquaman vs Green Lantern

PAX - Arturo Sanchez playing Aquaman vs Black Adam at 20:30

Costumes:

Flashpoint skin

Another alt skin

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Whats his main crossup move?
Jumping heavy: none of Aquamans jumping normals seem good air to air, so if you and your opponent both jump you are probably in some trouble. They also all have small hitboxes that will lose to a lot of grounded normals. This one seems the best of his jumping normals because it can cross up pretty ambiguously.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Updated with videos and skins, will try and get some more in-depth stuff with gameplay soon

All other Aquaman pretenders I mean players feel free to chip in with anything and I'll put it in the OP. Let's get a boatload of info about his playstyle so we can dive right in.... and make a splash... when Injustice.... comes out of the ocean.

Juggs
Joker8417
AdmiralAugustus
Mr Aquaman
MK Peanuts dunno if you were planning on maining since you used him at PAX, but could you confirm the video for the moves you listed under the normals section?
L0rdoftheFLY
HGTV Soapboxfan

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
rev0lver I love you, good job getting this all sorted.

I really like his playstyle from what I've seen. I think you may be right about ending block strings with trident. That pushback is legit. Gonna make for some sick footsies afterwards. I wanna see the frame data real bad ;_;

Also, Aquaman for the biggest package in Injustice #MVGame

Dat Super.... "We're gonna need a bigger boat"

EDIT: Also, shoutouts to NRS. If I wasn't mistaken, when Art whiffed that up trident thing, and Adam went under him, he turned around to face him mid air. At about 21:21

DOUBLE EDIT:

MK Peanuts dunno if you were planning on maining since you used him at PAX, but could you confirm the video for the moves you listed under the normals section?
Dunno if I'm gonna main him. I ended up playing him at PAX so much mainly because he's, like, really easy to win with even if you don't know what you're doing (which of course I don't, no one does yet except for like Arturo, Nerd Josh, etc). I will say he seems really cheap and seems to fit my playstyle so I probably will end up playing him at first when the game comes out but might move on to someone else later.

Anyways, here are the confirms you requested:

Character trait: Aquaman sticks his trident in the ground and surrounds himself with water. This absorbs projectiles and attacks, and the meter burn version sends the opponent fullscreen.
That's not his trait, it's his down down heavy. His trait is used at 2:04 in the Aquaman vs Cyborg video. I don't know why the dude in the IGN video said the water shield was his trait, but it's not.

Standing heavy: aquaman swings his trident in a big arc. Huge hitbox on this. (0:25 - Aquaman vs Green Lantern arena, can you confirm that?)
Negative, that's his down back light. Looks like the EX version of it; I never tested EX for that move, but I'm pretty sure that's what it is. I don't actually see stand heavy used once in any of the videos in the first post. I guess that's not super surprising; it's a good poke but it's not something that starts a combo, and all their promotional stuff is like "check out this dope 30 hit combo I can do".

Crouching medium: ridiculous anti air, the hitbox is huge and it pops up for a combo. Okay against grounded opponents too although the hitbox does not extend horizontally as much as standing heavy. (1:20 - Aquaman vs Cyborg arena)
Confirmed.

Forward heavy: overhead that launches. Reminds me of jades staff overhead. (1:47 - Aquaman vs GL arena, confirm?)
Yep, that looks right to me.

Air -

-Attacks with the butt end of his trident, used in Battle Arena combos. Is this jumping heavy?
Yeah, he attacks with the butt of his trident with his jumping heavy. Actually I just realized, I don't think he can attack with the pointy end of his trident with any of his jumping moves. That's kinda silly.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Peanuts thanks man! I really appreciate it. And yeah I know the battle arenas and stuff don't represent real gameplay most of the time, I'm just using them to get a look at his tools.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
i havent really seen too much of him yet,liked the stance and that lightning throw.i guess i'll have to decide between the two when i pick the game up,is it true he has a dive kick?
Yeah, I think he has a close and a far one. The far one goes full screen, is fast as hell and can be made safe by his trait from what I'm being told. Oh yeah and the enhanced dive kick bounds for a juggle. Anyways we are derailing this thread a bit haha. If you want some details on him, we pretty much have all the info/videos in the Black Adam General Discussion Thread. :)

http://testyourmight.com/threads/black-adam-general-discussion-thread.28930/

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Hey guys, sorry for not updating with more recent info. I don't want to use anything from the pirated version that's been floating around but I'll update with some of the stuff Wonderchef provided from Wondercon when I have time

Reactions: Cat