What's new

Question - Brawler Anyone Else Feel Like Brawler Is Underused?

Wigy

There it is...
"JK" is jump kick right? Jump kick grabs (I believe that's what you're saying) I really don't find myself using those too much. Should I be using them? lol
If you have a liu or mileena doing bad low projectiles a well placed JK exgrab will really help. JIP punish can be tricky cause their hurtbox is lowered, also jik ex grab nets you waaay more damage midscreen.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I don't know anything about the MU situation or any of this other nuanced stuff. I just know I it's my favorite, what I win best with, and that when I pressed bf3 just now Tremor's face exploded.

I'm good with that.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
The problem is that you give up her ex nut punch restands for takedown, which is designed to do a similar job but just does it worse. The opponent has the 3 options of backdash, delay wake up, or armour which aren't available to them from ex nut punch.

Brawler is Hollywood without the meter dependency, but with worse pressure and worse armour. It does mean you have more meter for safe 50/50's though, but less chance to use them. Jik air grab is pretty good but it gets trip guarded more easily than her jip, and on block doesn't jail into a string.

There are pros and cons for either variation, and really its a trade off between either meterless moves with worse properties in Brawler, or meter'd moves with better properties so you have to decide if you want to spend your resources a lot more, but I feel like Hollywood plays MKX better despite the meter dependency.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
You can't jump kick at every character or every player. It's not impossible to Anti-Air her jump kicks. I played against Foxy and I remember thinking "huehuehue, now what's he going to do when I hit him with the unanti-airable jump in attack into full combo. He'll be lost without fundamental play! muahaha"

But alas, Foxy just anti-aired me. Every time. Then my strategy of "jump like a maniac because I'm playing Brawler LOL" died. Sure, you'll win all your ranked matches but if you want to play at the higher level with the top dogs you can't rely on it (maybe in some match-ups though haha)

Phoseferrax said everything that needs to be said to be honest.

The problem is that you give up her ex nut punch restands for takedown, which is designed to do a similar job but just does it worse. The opponent has the 3 options of backdash, delay wake up, or armour which aren't available to them from ex nut punch
The thing is though imo people need to stop thinking about variations being in competition with each other. It dosn't matter that she looses ex-nutpuch or looses the homing rocket (which imo is far and beyond her most powerful variation)... it is about what each variation has that the others do not and how that opens her up to help in matchups that her other variations are weaker against. I like to think that the entire 3 variations are just one character, all the top players learn and know all of the variations and use them accordingly as the base usage of the "variationless" version is identical. It is far easier to be good at the variations than good at 3 different characters and between those variations on a single character you can cover all matchups.. in most cases, and defiantly in cassies case.

GQJ

Noob
The problem is that you give up her ex nut punch restands for takedown, which is designed to do a similar job but just does it worse. The opponent has the 3 options of backdash, delay wake up, or armour which aren't available to them from ex nut punch.

Brawler is Hollywood without the meter dependency, but with worse pressure and worse armour. It does mean you have more meter for safe 50/50's though, but less chance to use them. Jik air grab is pretty good but it gets trip guarded more easily than her jip, and on block doesn't jail into a string.

There are pros and cons for either variation, and really its a trade off between either meterless moves with worse properties in Brawler, or meter'd moves with better properties so you have to decide if you want to spend your resources a lot more, but I feel like Hollywood plays MKX better despite the meter dependency.
I could see that argument when Hollywood had the hit adv. But you can still make a read and run their backdash in Brawler. Plus do you have to depend on a 50+ hit adv adv everytime for a 50/50? I feel Brawler's meter savings allows you to 50/50 during other times in the match.

Also how is her pressure better in Hollywood?

Just making a counterpoint.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
The missiles don't give her the ability to zone because of the bad start up and recovery. I play HQT and it's hard for him to hold his own as a zoner in some matchups so I don't really see Cassie in Spec Ops being able to hold her own in a zoning battle. Losing the armor on flip and it becoming 7 frames hurt Spec Ops more than the others, and the Brawler buffs make her able to play MKX better. Cassie has a really good run speed and B1, so can you elaborate a little more on why you think Brawler gets zoned hard? I agree that Spec Ops is better in a way of having more of a full screen prescience, but I think Brawler is better because of the ender, the grab, and damage over Spec Ops. I for sure accept your opinions, but that's just my two cents on the matter. Any Cassie players feel free to educate me if I'm wrong.
There are different levels of zoners. With Brawler, she's a C zoner. With her other variations, she's a B zoner. HQT is more like an A zoner, with only a very few characters able to outzone him.

Keep in mind, you're talking to a Sun God player - who is willing to give up on mixups, safety, and armor for an untechable throw and swaggy endings for his combos. I get why you choose Brawler. Its the strongest in how it makes you feel, but weakest quantifiably if you really look at it.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Keep in mind, you're talking to a Sun God player - who is willing to give up on mixups, safety, and armor for an untechable throw and swaggy endings for his combos.
is it though? Seeing every single combo end in the exact same move isn't cool.. i mean think back to when Kung Lao was ending every game in that throw brutality... was that swagy... or boring?

Especially when you have Khotal able to do combos like this in any variation!

Reactions: GAV

GAV

is it though? Seeing every single combo end in the exact same move isn't cool.. i mean think back to when Kung Lao was ending every game in that throw brutality... was that swagy... or boring?

Especially when you have Khotal able to do combos like this in any variation!
Blood God, to me, is super swaggy. I'm just not a big fan of War God. I know its the best, but mehhh.

I just like the Sun Throw ender. I am a very audio enticed person. My love of Quan Chi's ground projectile, Jax's Gotcha Grab, and everything Tremor and Raiden helps sum things up nicely.

Jynks

War God IS NOT the best, the point was that the linked combo was ultra swagy... much more than any using that ender you have seen 500million times.. the fact that War God is mrAquaman's fav has nothing to do with it.. that kombo is universal.... but I dig your noise man.

I also play SunGod and BloodGod (I in fact think that Blood Totem is massively under valued).. and I love the sound design of Tremor's punches.. but I just can not do those directional punches for some reason.

GAV

War God IS NOT the best, the point was that the linked combo was ultra swagy... much more than any using that ender you have seen 500million times.. the fact that War God is mrAquaman's fav has nothing to do with it.. that kombo is universal.... but I dig your noise man.

I also play SunGod and BloodGod (I in fact think that Blood Totem is massively under valued).. and I love the sound design of Tremor's punches.. but I just can not do those directional punches for some reason.
I'm in the same boat.

WG is the best though. I consistently beat players I can't with Sun and Blood when I switch to it. The armor, mix-ups, and safety gives you opportunities that just don't exist in the other two variations. A good WG stretches an opponent's blocking like a good Erron Black without the need for all the cancels EB's gotta do - with all the OH, low, OH's - and - low, OH, lows - they can create. To boot, its all much safer too.

Jynks

well, I disagree with you.. like a lot. In MKx all that crap dosn't matter.

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
Brawler overhead tackle puts people at the perfect place to do the f3/df1 ~ flip "whiff on block and combo on hit" tech. F44 can also break 11f armors. That ender is better than normal nut punch in Hollywood, but obviously much worse than ex nut punch of course. Because there's only a few useful bach dash in this game wake up back dash doesn't work to avoid DF1 ~ flip after overhead tackle take down
Brawler can be played exactly the same footsie game has Hollywood except for instant air gun. You can jump kick in as Brawler but don't be so freaking predictable lol. If a new player can't do instant air gun consistently, Brawler is good to go
The only thing I hate is corner combos for Brawler do 2-3% less damage and very inconsistent

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
After a knock down with overhead tackle Brawler got a almost safe meterless 50/50 (read my previous post). And all Cassie variations have 99% the same useful strings so their pressure are equal (HW's F34 does more damage and more chip that F33, but that's the only HW exclusive pressure string. In case you didn't know, it's not a hard knock down)
Jump kick is hit confirmable into air throw, she can delay the cancel very late and it still connects on hit

The Highlander

There can be only one
Brawler overhead tackle puts people at the perfect place to do the f3/df1 ~ flip "whiff on block and combo on hit" tech. F44 can also break 11f armors. That ender is better than normal nut punch in Hollywood, but obviously much worse than ex nut punch of course. Because there's only a few useful bach dash in this game wake up back dash doesn't work to avoid DF1 ~ flip after overhead tackle take down
Brawler can be played exactly the same footsie game has Hollywood except for instant air gun. You can jump kick in as Brawler but don't be so freaking predictable lol. If a new player can't do instant air gun consistently, Brawler is good to go
The only thing I hate is corner combos for Brawler do 2-3% less damage and very inconsistent
F3 yes but not df1. df1 is significantly different to the f3 spacing.

Last edited:

shura30

Shura
don't watch the foxitup video thinking all he said there is braindead or completely cheap
also, don't jump at any decent mileena player

if compared to the other variations, brawler relies on reads more than anything else

sure, with hollywood you can wake up/end combo with exnut and forget about oki
but once the opponent has blocked your mixup (where you eventually had to burn additional meter to stay safe to try damage), that's it
brawler instead scares the opponent into blocking because ticks and grabs

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
As an ex Cassie player, anyone who thinks the command grab is harder than iAG is trippin

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
The swaggy american way troll combos :D Many players find HW and SO stylish and cocky, Brawler lacks something that makes Johnny's daughter
More about the safer, damaging armor breaking 50/50s htb and american way hitconfirms, better neutral and higher corner damage.

The missile not going away if Cassie gets hit is huge

Last edited: