What's new

Question - Leatherface Anyone else eating their words?

Thanks for this post. This cleared up a lot for me...

To me, Leatherface breaks with the fiction much less in an MK game than Scorpion broke it in Injustice for me.

Although, this bridge does allow me to get the hate. I HATED Scorpion's inclusion in Injustice. I actually stopped playing it shortly after and I think that Scorpion was the reason. His inclusion broke the fiction for me - breaking the game's hold on me.

Now, MK has always been a horror game first. I started playing MK with the first one, when it was just a fighting game with no fiction behind it. The fiction was the gore and the look-alike cameos.

When Injustice came out, I was already versed in the game's fiction - so when Scorpion got included - it broke with that fiction - for me.

So, I get all the hate now from those that hate Leatherface's inclusion. You guys started playing MK later - when there was a fiction - so the more outsiders that join - the more it breaks the fiction for you.

The divide is between those that see MK as a horror franchise and those that see it as its fiction - or its own creative universe.

Those that see as a competitive medium first could go either way.

I'm just glad that I can see it clearly now - so that communication will continue despite differing perspectives.

I wonder if the group at NRS sees it. It's speculation, but by his design - I bet they do...
I didn't start playing MK later. I was playing that shit in arcades with MK1. When you began playing the game doesn't really have anything to do with any subsequent fiction that was added.

What's strange is the people who counter demands for characters like shang, nightwolf, etc by citing the storylines and fiction, but are also in favor of this inclusion. Like, "omg that wouldn't even make sense in the storyline! also leatherface is hype." Apprently leatherface makes sense in the storylines I guess.

Reactions: GAV
My point is that my idea of what characters Injustice could include is much smaller than what characters MKX could include.

Injustice - Superheroes and Supervillains

MKX - MK characters along with Horror and Pop Culture icons

I was in high school when Mortal Kombat came out. There was no fiction. The characters were ninjas and pop culture look-alikes and the game was a one-on-one fighter with a horror theme.

When Injustice came out, I already had an idea of what it should be. My idea came from watching Saturday morning cartoons as a kid. Scorpion was an MK guy. To me, he not only didn't fit - but he broke the universe and the game lost its allure because of it.

Now, I'm excited about Leatherface - but I can certainly see why others aren't. To them, he ranges from distasteful to breaking the universe.

When they got into MK, they did so through the fiction - so any break from that fiction can potentially break the universe for them.
The more I read these posts, the more I'm starting to agree.

People have a preconceived notion of what MK games should include. That wasn't true during MK1, but it is now. So when we get 4 characters that don't fit the established "fiction" or have nothing to do with MK at all, while 15 plus characters that do are not even in the game, it's pretty upsetting.

My whole thing is that horror movies don't need to be mixed with MK. There's nothing wrong with leaving them separate, but there's quite a bit wrong with mixing them.

Now, you have a pretty good idea of what a DC comics based game should have... yes?

What if Injustice 2 came out and it had Superman Junior, Wonderwoman's kid, Black Adam's homosexual nephew, 5 characters you've never even heard of, and 4 characters that had absolutely nothing to do with DC comics, but 15 DC icons weren't even considered? Maybe sme of the guests are good ofor gameplay. Maybe some of the new characters actually end up being fun to play. They still don't fit.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
The more I read these posts, the more I'm starting to agree.

People have a preconceived notion of what MK games should include. That wasn't true during MK1, but it is now. So when we get 4 characters that don't fit the established "fiction" or have nothing to do with MK at all, while 15 plus characters that do are not even in the game, it's pretty upsetting.

My whole thing is that horror movies don't need to be mixed with MK. There's nothing wrong with leaving them separate, but there's quite a bit wrong with mixing them.

Now, you have a pretty good idea of what a DC comics based game should have... yes?

What if Injustice 2 came out and it had Superman Junior, Wonderwoman's kid, Black Adam's homosexual nephew, 5 characters you've never even heard of, and 4 characters that had absolutely nothing to do with DC comics, but 15 DC icons weren't even considered? Maybe sme of the guests are good ofor gameplay. Maybe some of the new characters actually end up being fun to play. They still don't fit.
LOLOLOLOL

GAV

johnny cage is just a guy with some green goo
kung lao's just a guy with a razor hat
jax is just a guy with metal arms
I don't see what makes chainsaw guy any worse than any of these other inherently silly designs
All three of them are MK characters. What's hard to understand?
...but when they became a part of MK, they were JCVD, Jet Li, and Carl Weathers.

GAV

That's because you are low tier
:REO
I wonder what the meta is on the upper level.

Martial artists constantly work to simplify. I use circular steps and motions to stay safe and balanced, while attacking the centerline with crushes and movements when impeded and with blows when unimpeded and in range. If I can get a hand in, I'll clamp and go with whatever they do to unbalance them and work off that naturally. I want to be in tight, but know better than to rush it.

At the highest levels, they sit on a technique and you walk into it because they know what you're going to do before you do it.

GreatKungLao

LiuTana

I don't see what makes chainsaw guy any worse than any of these other inherently silly designs
Johnny Cage is an actor who wanted to prove to the whole world that he isn't fake and does everything without stunts. Then we discover that he happens from the ancient kind of people who wields force to fight gods.

Kung Lao is a Shaolin monk, one of the three descendants of legendary Great Kung Lao (Earthrealm's very first Mortal Kombat champion) who uses one of the most unique and stylish weapons in video gaming history. His dream is to become an honorable warrior like his great ancestor.

Jax is a military guy who fight with supernatural beings despite being simple human who only uses technology. He is boring to me, because I find military character as one of the most boring archetypes, but he is unique MK character for its own universe, a canon part of it and is likeable by many people. He is at least a true part of Mortal Kombat franchise.

And these characters have only +20 years of development.

Leatherface has +30 or even more years of history and is still one of the most boring things in the universe without interesting background, story and motivation.

IMO.

QUAN-FUSION

Crotch-puncher
I wonder what the meta is on the upper level.

Martial artists constantly work to simplify. I use circular steps and motions to stay safe and balanced, while attacking the centerline with crushes and movements when impeded and with blows when unimpeded and in range. If I can get a hand in, I'll clamp and go with whatever they do to unbalance them and work off that naturally. I want to be in tight, but know better than to rush it.

At the highest levels, they sit on a technique and you walk into it because they know what you're going to do before you do it.
Ah That's.. That's great?

...but when they became a part of MK, they were JCVD, Jet Li, and Carl Weathers.
true, but adding them didn't mean leaving out other characters. In like MK2 and 3, adding the new characters like baraka, kabal, mileena, etc didn't mean leaving out anyone from MK1. Adding new characters and replacing established characters is quite a bit different.

xxFalcon Loverxx

Ignorant slaves, how quickly you forget.
He still seems boring to me. His special moves are just slightly different chainsaw attacks, even though I know they're not.

Killer is going to be a beast in the corner. Butcher looks boring, but I love a good command grab. Pretty Lady zoning might be an issue...look at the size of those projectiles.

But overall....Meh. Cool Brutality though.

LOL at all the people already saying he's broke and shit without knowing any frame data.

PS - When's Bo Rai Cho? :joker:
I'm going to lose faith in NRS if they put that fat, puking, disgusting, cringe-worthy, drunk (Bo Rai Cho) on the next kombat kast instead of alien.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
true, but adding them didn't mean leaving out other characters. In like MK2 and 3, adding the new characters like baraka, kabal, mileena, etc didn't mean leaving out anyone from MK1. Adding new characters and replacing established characters is quite a bit different.
Kano and Sonya were not playable in MK2.

Anyway, is there direct proof that Fujin/Rain/Sindel lost their spot specifically BECAUSE of Leatherface?

The implication is that these characters were cut from the game as playable so he could be in. But what if they were never going to be more than NPCs in the first place?

This is a Triple A title, it's likely the cast wasn't chosen arbitrarily like that.

If Fujin, Sindel, Kira, Kabal, etc aren't playable it's likely that they never were going to be.

Kano and Sonya were not playable in MK2.

Anyway, is there direct proof that Fujin/Rain/Sindel lost their spot specifically BECAUSE of Leatherface?

The implication is that these characters were cut from the game as playable so he could be in. But what if they were never going to be more than NPCs in the first place?

This is a Triple A title, it's likely the cast wasn't chosen arbitrarily like that.

If Fujin, Sindel, Kira, Kabal, etc aren't playable it's likely that they never were going to be.
Yeah, there's nothing really to lead me to believe any of those characters would have been in the game if the stupid ones weren't.

They more than likely would have just had other stupid ones like spawn and osama bin laden.

Why does the discussion on whether or not people have been sold on Leatherface in MKX have to go to "lol mk lore/chars are stupid anyway, stay salty" ? Like, out of all the things you could possibly say to someone that might be overreacting to this inclusion, you'd just go ahead and say mk lore is silly or certain characters are dumb/on the same level as Leatherface? Yeah, that works on the Fujin fan, tell him Fujin is a dumb character that lacks in character development and story. I'm sure the Fujin fan will then side with you and cease being salty ASAP. Just tell the Noob fan that the lore is a jumbled mess and that he's salty, he's sure to be one of the first few people to buy the character. Clearly there's a reason that person wants that specific character, it's because they like the character. Lol mk sucks anyway, just deal with Leatherface or don't buy him, who honestly wanted "x mk char not in MKX" on the Netherrealm Studios-oriented forum, featuring players from all skill levels that like MK. That makes all the possible sense in the world. Lemme go on Dustloop and talk about how stupid of a character Dizzy is from A lore perspective, I'm sure that'll go swimmingly. Shitting on someone's taste isn't going help at all. The don't buy him thing is whack too, because people are going to play him online, people will for sure play him at local gatherings when he releases and we are definitely going to see him at big tournaments like CEO, especially if he's a strong character. Not buying him at any level of seriousness becomes a disadvantage, because you won't be able to look at how to effectively deal with him. I didn't buy MMH in IGAU because I didn't like him. I then had to ask people with him to test stuff for me like all the time, that sucked. The only people that are truly unaffected by this inclusion are the people that play MKX for like 5 minutes every other month. You can try and soften the blow for the diehards and reason with them, that's totally fine. Don't tell the person wanting Shang Tsung that mk's lore is a joke and that Shang is whack.

BlackJackSnack

Bags of mostly water
Honestly he looks awesome. I was super bummed when I saw him officially announced. My opinion has changed about him.

That being said I would still trade him for ANY klassic mk character.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing

No Kung Lao teleports, and Cage has the green aura and an awesome personality. Like I said I don't hate Leatherface, it's just there are 1000's of other choices that would have been better

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
spawn is way way WAY worse than Leatherface. lets leave try hard comics out of MK.. he is a better fit for its-just-Ass. Leatherface is a much better fit than Predator or Alien. I think if they have to have guests characters they should stick to Horror icons. Seriously Spawn? I know there is a loud minority on that wagon, but good gwad... he is a awful choice for mk... especially when there is a entire game devoted to comics.
Spawn would fit perfectly in the MK universe. He comes from another rated-M universe, so it's all good for people to be doing fatalities on him and him doing fatalities on others. Plus he has a tons of cool powers, you could easily make many variations of Spawn with all the variations being unique in their own way and awesome

Brutal Chimney

vaporus punching bag
the only one that looked any decent or somewhat original was his chainsaw variation.

butcher was lame and safe.

pretty lady didn't even make any sense and added nothing we didn't already have from far more interesting zoaners.

Why does the discussion on whether or not people have been sold on Leatherface in MKX have to go to "lol mk lore/chars are stupid anyway, stay salty" ? Like, out of all the things you could possibly say to someone that might be overreacting to this inclusion, you'd just go ahead and say mk lore is silly or certain characters are dumb/on the same level as Leatherface? Yeah, that works on the Fujin fan, tell him Fujin is a dumb character that lacks in character development and story. I'm sure the Fujin fan will then side with you and cease being salty ASAP. Just tell the Noob fan that the lore is a jumbled mess and that he's salty, he's sure to be one of the first few people to buy the character. Clearly there's a reason that person wants that specific character, it's because they like the character. Lol mk sucks anyway, just deal with Leatherface or don't buy him, who honestly wanted "x mk char not in MKX" on the Netherrealm Studios-oriented forum, featuring players from all skill levels that like MK. That makes all the possible sense in the world. Lemme go on Dustloop and talk about how stupid of a character Dizzy is from A lore perspective, I'm sure that'll go swimmingly. Shitting on someone's taste isn't going help at all. The don't buy him thing is whack too, because people are going to play him online, people will for sure play him at local gatherings when he releases and we are definitely going to see him at big tournaments like CEO, especially if he's a strong character. Not buying him at any level of seriousness becomes a disadvantage, because you won't be able to look at how to effectively deal with him. I didn't buy MMH in IGAU because I didn't like him. I then had to ask people with him to test stuff for me like all the time, that sucked. The only people that are truly unaffected by this inclusion are the people that play MKX for like 5 minutes every other month. You can try and soften the blow for the diehards and reason with them, that's totally fine. Don't tell the person wanting Shang Tsung that mk's lore is a joke and that Shang is whack.
Stay salty bro, sacred MK lore lmfao go watch a 20 year old MK4 ending and tell me that Fujin deserves to be in this game lolol idiot.