What's new

Anybody use Hitbox for MK11?

my best friend plays on hitbox. i wish i was too but i have an issue with playing with sticks and hitbox or even play againts the noise pissed me the f off

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
How is the hitbox with the computer keyboard buttons for the directions in contrast to the obsidian hitbox? I was interested in trying one out.
I did a little review a while back.
https://testyourmight.com/threads/mixbox-arcade-mk11-launch-day-to-now-impressions.69970/#post-2510522

Once you get used to your thumb being up/jump Hitbox actually feels really cool like.
This is my biggest issue with the hitbox. You can even see it in the 360 Video... (big thanks to TeeJay btw.. I didn't know that method.. I feel stupid for not working it out_
The issue I have is that hitbox asks you to switch which hand uses the big up button all the time. Sometimes you use right, sometimes left depending on what is going on. Like in that video example they are using movement on the left hand and using right hand for the up press. Now some people can adjust to this fine... but for me, and I am sure others, that swapping what hand does what is confusing. Separating tasks, 1 to each hand, is so much more natural there is reems of data on this about how the brain works to control the hands and coming from a stick user where movment and buttons are seperated, I just find this to feel un-natural.

The mixBox has 2 really cool things about it imo..

1) It separates the hands completely like on a stick. For me at least this is a huge plus as to this day after years on HitBox I still get slightly confused when pressing up and this causes dropped combos or even hitting wrong buttons completely.

2) The MixBox has a classic arcade stick layout for the buttons. As in it is exactly the same as a standard 8 buttons arcade setup.. so if you are a stick user (like I am) there is 100% zero learning curve for that hand. You play it exactly like you always have. This is a huge plus, imo.

The 3rd thing is cool only to some people...

3) Anyone that has spent a lot of time PC gaming. Either in RTS / MOBA / MMO / FPS etc etc etc... then WSAD as a control system is like hardwired into them and natural AF.

AbeW

Noob
I did a little review a while back.
https://testyourmight.com/threads/mixbox-arcade-mk11-launch-day-to-now-impressions.69970/#post-2510522

This is my biggest issue with the hitbox. You can even see it in the 360 Video... (big thanks to TeeJay btw.. I didn't know that method.. I feel stupid for not working it out_

The issue I have is that hitbox asks you to switch which hand uses the big up button all the time. Sometimes you use right, sometimes left depending on what is going on. Like in that video example they are using movement on the left hand and using right hand for the up press. Now some people can adjust to this fine... but for me, and I am sure others, that swapping what hand does what is confusing. Separating tasks, 1 to each hand, is so much more natural there is reems of data on this about how the brain works to control the hands and coming from a stick user where movment and buttons are seperated, I just find this to feel un-natural.

The mixBox has 2 really cool things about it imo..

1) It separates the hands completely like on a stick. For me at least this is a huge plus as to this day after years on HitBox I still get slightly confused when pressing up and this causes dropped combos or even hitting wrong buttons completely.

2) The MixBox has a classic arcade stick layout for the buttons. As in it is exactly the same as a standard 8 buttons arcade setup.. so if you are a stick user (like I am) there is 100% zero learning curve for that hand. You play it exactly like you always have. This is a huge plus, imo.

The 3rd thing is cool only to some people...

3) Anyone that has spent a lot of time PC gaming. Either in RTS / MOBA / MMO / FPS etc etc etc... then WSAD as a control system is like hardwired into them and natural AF.
You are not going forward as in a RPG or FPS. You are JUMPING. Several RPGs have the SPACE BUTTON for JUMP.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
You are not going forward as in a RPG or FPS. You are JUMPING. Several RPGs have the SPACE BUTTON for JUMP.
The point I was trying to make is that WSAD is a very comfortable and burned into muscle memory for many pc game players. I think this is a strong plus for mixbox for people coming from PC gaming. As "forward" and "Jump" and "strafe" and "forward / backward" are functionally identical in a 2D fighter. I would say it is more about how comfortable and natural it feels for them to use WSAD, not what WSAD actually does.

For example my mate is a big competitive RTS player, that is UP "W" to move the camera UP .. which is how it works in MK11 for jump.. no one is saying WSAD is confusing for FPS players when they play a RTS or w/e and you are controlling camera movement as w is moving the camera up to the top of the screen.

Last edited:

aj1701

Noob
Something else I should mention hitbox arcade and people using hitbox they make it look so free. Look at me doing this seemly rediclous combo so consistently. My eyes are closed it's so free. The people doing it are EXTREMELY proficient on hitbox. It will not work the how you see them do it it requires a lot of practice.
Well so does using a stick, or even learning a pad for the first time i a fighting game.

Wallach

Noob
As someone who's been on hitbox for many years, to this point I can say I have only ever pressed up/jump with one hand (my right hand). There is no need or advantage to switching hands for that button because both of your thumbs have access to it regardless of your hand position. It's actually in that position just so you can do whatever is more natural.