What's new

Anybody use Hitbox for MK11?

the input shortcuts and movement are the biggest adjustments for me right now. With the shortcuts most of the time a normal comes out so I’m trying to get used to the sensitivity of the buttons and the timing I’m press them

Inception

I love Kitana
Something else I should mention hitbox arcade and people using hitbox they make it look so free. Look at me doing this seemly rediclous combo so consistently. My eyes are closed it's so free. The people doing it are EXTREMELY proficient on hitbox. It will not work the how you see them do it it requires a lot of practice.

Wallach

Noob
I've been playing on hitbox layout for years, and I feel like MK is pretty well suited to it. The stock image on Jasen's site for the pre-built hitbox is actually my own personal stick they built for me after I wanted to upgrade to a UFB. Highly recommend Jasen's Customs, I've owned a handful of Hitbox Arcade sticks and one from Marvelous Customs and the Panzer is definitely the best stick I've ever owned.

Personally I recommend the following button layout for MK.

1 2 Block

3 4 Flip Stance

With Button Shortcuts enabled this gives you a fairly SFV-like button scheme; amp moves are on 1+2 (same buttons I use to EX punch specials), throw is on 1+3 like SFV, and Fatal Blow is on V-Trigger input (HP + HK).

Edit - 6 multiple posts? That may be a new TYM record!

Last edited:
I have the Obsidian Hitbox and while this is my first Hitbox, I’ll say it’s worth the investment. The official Hitbox has a smaller case, which apparently is too small for most people to comfortably rest their palms on, and it also doesn’t have L3/R3 buttons (which aren’t really used for MK11 but is for SFV’s training mode), and it’s PS4 touchpad button is apparently an older firmware version that may not be compatible with some newer games.

I love the Obsidian Hitbox and have no regrets.

I also had a stick a while ago and after two months, I still somewhat fumbling with it. I’ve had the Hitbox for a month now and am much more comfortable with it, but I’ve always mostly played in pad or keyboards. Even when I played SF and MK in the arcade as a kid, the stick never felt right to me, but obviously if a stick is preferred to you over a pad, it may not be worth it, or comfortable.

Also, I doubt the hitbox makes me a better player. I’m more comfortable with it and it seems to make me feel more involved with the game for some stupid reason, but I doubt these have much more than a 1% effect on my gameplay.

I use my right thumb to jump (I treat it as an action button), and button layout is:

1 - 2 - Throw
3 - 4 - Block

1 and 2 amplify/interact
3 and 4 switch stances
3 and 4 and Block does fatal blows

I made R1 throw because I like keeping my right thumb on jump and don’t use my pinky so this keeps my right hand in one spot.

Thank you all for your input. It is greatly appreciated. I will try the different layouts and see which I’m most comfortable with. I guess I was gets a little impatient because I truly want to get better at this game and I’m not preforming nearly as well as I could with a controller at this point, it’s like learning to play video games all over again.

I’ve never tried anything but pad however I was never fully comfortable pad. My thumb and the Xbox pad have beef when they are supposed to love each other so I decided to make a switch and I’m already seeing the benefits from it. I just have to think about what I’m doing too much right now.

I also agree that’s it’s all personal preference. I use a computer all day for work and editing so I thought hitbox would be the best route for me personally.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
@MalevolentFix

You mention Seimitsu buttons. What are the advantages of them? I just watched a comparison video of Sanwa, Seimitsu and Hayabusa. From what I can see, I like the sturdiness of the Seimitsu. How much of a difference did it make for you?

MalevolentFix

haha shokan queen go down up
@Kiss the Missile

On that one it truly is just all about preference. Seimitsu and Sanwa are both great buttons and both are going to feel great. The box comes standard with Sanwa. I prefer Seimitsu because they have a better feel to me and the click they produce is more satisfying to me than Sanwa

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
Been on hitbox almost 5 years. Fucking love it. Also guys 360 motions are SUPER easy just like DPs, Shoryukens etc. We have shortcuts available to us that allow for super sick easy motion actions. I'll link a video below.

Video

Hitoshura

Head Cage
How is the hitbox with the computer keyboard buttons for the directions in contrast to the obsidian hitbox? I was interested in trying one out.

I personally don’t think I’d like a mixbox.

The main reason is that I have big hands and fingers and I’m not a huge fan of cramming my fingers to hit three keys in a row like that. It’s fine for FPSs, but it’s cumbersome, for me, when I’m trying to do shoryuken motions and stuff. It’s maybe not as bad for NRS games, but I would prefer one controller for all fighters. The 24mm spacing of the Hitbox is perfect for me.

Also, with the Hitbox, I can cover all four directions at once.

If you want to test out the direction inputs for a Hitbox, play some fighting games on your PC (MAME or what have you), and make ASD (I prefer SDF but it’s up to you) as left, down, right, and make spacebar jump/up.

MalevolentFix

I personally don’t think I’d like a mixbox.

The main reason is that I have big hands and fingers and I’m not a huge fan of cramming my fingers to hit three keys in a row like that. It’s fine for FPSs, but it’s cumbersome, for me, when I’m trying to do shoryuken motions and stuff. It’s maybe not as bad for NRS games, but I would prefer one controller for all fighters. The 24mm spacing of the Hitbox is perfect for me.

Also, with the Hitbox, I can cover all four directions at once.

If you want to test out the direction inputs for a Hitbox, play some fighting games on your PC (MAME or what have you), and make ASD (I prefer SDF but it’s up to you) as left, down, right, and make spacebar jump/up.
I haven't tried Mixbox yet but I hate playing fighting games on PC.

Once you get used to your thumb being up/jump Hitbox actually feels really cool like. When you start flowing on it and you get to snap your thumb down when you read for a jump in or a short-hop it feels satisfying and deliberate. The only games where thumb for up/jump is unituitive are 3D fighters where that up input is used for diagonals and up inputs. Like Tekken. But once you get comfortable on it even that doesn't really become a problem.

I disagree with the whole using a keyboard to approximate Hitbox. I get why people say it but you're missing the tactile feel of having 24mm buttons and the true spacing.

Mixbox looks weird, and as you said I can't stand having my fingers bunched up like that on WASD.

Last edited:
I disagree with the whole using a keyboard to approximate Hitbox. I get why people say it but you're missing the tactile feel of having 24mm buttons and the true spacing.
I agree, the spacing is different, and I use my right thumb to jump, but it helped me to see how the thumb for jump/up felt before deciding to make the purchase.

MalevolentFix

I agree, the spacing is different, and I use my right thumb to jump, but it helped me to see how the thumb for jump/up felt before deciding to make the purchase.
Yeah fortunately I work a desk job so I'm on a keyboard like... 24/7. The spacebar is just a natural part of my life so the coordination for that input didn't take me near as long as someone who doesn't PC game or has played on a stick their whole life. I can't imagine how hard it would be to go from 15ish years of fight stick to using a Hitbox with little to no experience on a keyboard. That sounds like a monstrous undertaking since stick is wrist/forearm box is all fingers

Yeah, I’m the same way. I type on a keyboard for hours a day. I thought the Hitbox would take a while to get used to, but it really took me like a week, lol. I had a stick for two months and still kept dropping inputs. I respect the hell out of stick players, but it ain’t for me.

AbeW

Noob
The Qanba Obsidian stick was on sale for a 130 dollars for the longest time. It is normally a 200 dollar stick. I bought that on sale, the mod kit from arcadeshock (50 dollars), 12 sanwa buttons (30 dollars) and modded it myself. So it came down to 210 dollars for me.

But, is a Obsidian hitbox worth 270? ABSOLUTELY!!

1)It has a lot of palm realestate (much more than hitboxarcade) which is critical for hand comfort and ergonomics on a hitbox. Doesn't matter too much for a stick.

2) Recessed flush plexi will not cut into your hands.

3) Has maximum features, Full touchpad, audio, all auxiliary functions, LED, the works, etc.

It will easily last you a decade (if you don't rage and run it over with your car) and offer you the best inputs to any FG. It is the best quality bang for the buck on hitboxes (i have 5 hitboxes from different vendors).

AbeW

Noob
For all the guys on here saying the input device you use is just preference, you are incorrect. The hitbox offers a lot more advantage (not just ergonomic) in high level play than a pad or stick for most FGs out there. I myself used a stick for 13 yrs before i switched and would never go back. We can get into extensive detail for multiple FGs on this topic . But, since all the pad warriors and stick warriors tend to get very argumentative and launch fierce defensive arguments for their input device, i'll let the great beast Daigo Umehara himself do the talking instead. There's several youtube videos where he comments on this topic.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comments/bph5m6

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Finally got it. First thing I noticed that was weird was that the screw holes are covered in these ugly silver stickers. I peeled one off and the screw itself is covered by glue. Thought that was pretty weird since I was under the impression that modding these things was encouraged. The ones on the underside aren't covered tho

Anyway this shit is pretty cool. Instant air fireballs feel great, but I can only do them jumping forward. Double tapping back while jumping is tricky right now, but I've only been using it for 20 minutes. Wavedashing is mad crispy too. I keep on forgetting how to jump tho lmao. I always duck instead

MalevolentFix

Finally got it. First thing I noticed that was weird was that the screw holes are covered in these ugly silver stickers. I peeled one off and the screw itself is covered by glue. Thought that was pretty weird since I was under the impression that modding these things was encouraged. The ones on the underside aren't covered tho

Anyway this shit is pretty cool. Instant air fireballs feel great, but I can only do them jumping forward. Double tapping back while jumping is tricky right now, but I've only been using it for 20 minutes. Wavedashing is mad crispy too. I keep on forgetting how to jump tho lmao. I always duck instead
You mean the screws on the front? That's unusual... They usually only put the black hole covers on the front which come off easy enough and they put the Qanba silver sticker on the middle back screw like Qanba does when they package it retail to let you know that modding it voids the manufacture warranty (No one cares lol). Mine did NOT have any sort of glue covering any of the screws... This is strange.