What's new

Anti-Armor/Breakaway moves revealed on Kombat Kast

Aside from a pretty swaggy Fujin, a brief summary for those who didn't watch.

• One Anti-Armor/Breakaway move with different properties per character.
  • New leveling augment system will add some life to the single player game (although a bit grindy I imagine)
  • Briefly saw retrokade example of MK3 Church/Cathedral stage. (looks to be a pseudo-3rd projection of old stages, similar to what KI has)

Seems like a pretty good quality of life update overall (and we don't even know the other character specific adjustments yet either).

Also stream for Robocop and Sheeva this coming Monday!

Last edited:

Comments

I think breakaways are very cool. There is a mind game in it, it makes grounded combos unique and an advantage for some chacacters (and I don't see characters with those combos winning championships because of that) and I like that mechanism because the bars required are separated from the bars used to amplify or the way you do the fatal blow.
In mkx you mostly see breaks, it was the best way to use the bars....
I hope the changing meta thing is the kustom stuff.

Since then anti armor moves have to be sped up will they get more annoying to deal with? That scorpion overhead looked lightning fast

It’s gonna be something to do with breakaway. Sonic fix had a video shitting all over the mechanic recently and NRS knows if he’s talking shit people are hearing it in mass.

I think they may have took it a little too far with this change, but we’ll see.

Don’t know if I agree them breaking armor AND doing KBs/launchers, seems like overkill especially since some of them will be special moves and therefore cancellable on reaction.

I think it’s would have been smarter to remove the reward of breaking away instead of increasing the risk.

It all comes down to me not having faith in NRS picking moves for armor break that will result in good balance.

Like I’m sure they’ll nerf top tiers in some way but the idea of Jacqui or Johnny being able steam roll over wake ups, break always, and anything else with armor sounds kind of ridiculous.

Last edited:
The anti-armor change, at least as described, is pretty great. The first time an opponent YOLOs a FB and eats a full combo as a reward is going to be satisfying.

I don't care that much about the augment stuff because I don't really play much ToT, but it definitely sounds more fun than what's currently there.

Fuckin Fujin man.

I really want to be wrong and hope for the changes balance the characters with each other. This shit was to give more options for those who don't have it, not for those who already combo for free. They're very criative this time but already (apparently) shit on that.

Shao Kahn gives Armor Breaker to this bf3 ex~d (which makes me think they’re not going to choose universal moves for all the characters), so you have to risk doing less damage hoping the guy will try to break. This is bad for him because he doesn't hit so much before using the combo hit, so his damage is still very low if he guess wrong. Maybe this is usable if you use some string that you already got off the ground (like 2,1 or f2,1) , but it is still bad because you just have to wait and use Breakeaway after bf3 ex/bf3 ex~d. Only if things really changes for him post patch, so you can bait it. We'll see.

Now Scrubion, which already has combo potential in all three variations, now has one more option. Please NRS...

Last edited:
Calling it now, all Jade is going to get is the KB on her glow kick lol
That's what I was thinking do....which is kind of sad though since her shadow kick Krushing blow was one of her KB that I found easier to get. The uppercut is easier also........Parry is hard......pole vault is hard......I mean where do people break combos on Jade.....she has no combos.......forward 21? I know people usually break away from her 124 Krushing blow.

I get their idea. At least in concept, they want you to try to read when they'll breakaway, if you go for the armor break move randomly you potentially lose damage on your combo and they keep their def meter.
Its a very bootleg KI 'counter breaker' they're going for, like you can do just a standing 1 with Scoprion instead of 11 to bait their breakaway attempt then catch it with b3 for a relaunch.

In theory it'll mean that people can alter their juggles to throw off breakway attempts that are during common spots, like doing stand 3 into spear or some shit instead of the regular f3 11 to catch them sleeping. You sacrifice a bit of damage to continue your combo but you kinda guarantee that they won't break away there.
like for the Fujin armor breaker, it's gonna be a common move but the "balance" concept is that it's a much smaller reward even if you catch their breakaway, no KB no relaunch just the damage from the spin kicks where characters that have their armor break on less common moves they get a relaunch or KB or something.
Guess part of it is characters that'll become scary to break away against like Shao unless he's out of bar I guess.

Seems interesting overall, we'll have to wait and see what everyone's AB is before passing judgment i think.