What's new

Anti-Armor/Breakaway moves revealed on Kombat Kast

Aside from a pretty swaggy Fujin, a brief summary for those who didn't watch.

• One Anti-Armor/Breakaway move with different properties per character.
  • New leveling augment system will add some life to the single player game (although a bit grindy I imagine)
  • Briefly saw retrokade example of MK3 Church/Cathedral stage. (looks to be a pseudo-3rd projection of old stages, similar to what KI has)

Seems like a pretty good quality of life update overall (and we don't even know the other character specific adjustments yet either).

Also stream for Robocop and Sheeva this coming Monday!

Last edited:

Comments

Wait a min...

If the anti breakaway moves are these slow ass normals like scorpion's overhead....

That means he has to used it as soon as he launches you...

That means if he does anything besides that after launching you will be safe to breakaway...

Which means players should be able to visually confirm from the first hit of the juggle whether or not its safe to breakaway..

I mean...am I missing something here? Seems like all this change is going to do is make it so that players have to take one extra hit before they breakaway.

Like Scorpion does...

D2 crush blow...
I wait for first follow-up...
if anti-breakaway move...cool, his combo only did 20%
if regular string/normal...cool I will hold breakaway starting now because he can no longer hit me with his slow anti-breakaway move...he still did about 20%

Is this how its going to work?

Wait a min...

If the anti breakaway moves are these slow ass normals like scorpion's overhead....

That means if he does anything besides that after launching you will be safe to breakaway...

Which means players should be able to visually confirm from the first hit of the juggle whether or not its safe to breakaway..

I mean...am I missing something here? Seems like all this change is going to do is make it so that players have to take one extra hit before they breakaway.

Like Scorpion does...

D2 crush blow...
if regular string/normal...cool I will hold breakaway starting now because he can no longer hit me with his slow anti-breakaway move...he still did about 20%

They aren’t all normals though. Kitana and Shao get it off of specials.

16bit said Kitana’s is just square wave, not even amp’d.

Meaning you can hitconfirm during a juggle string and if you see them go into breakaway you can just cancel into the special.

I cant see scorpion or subs armor break moves being very useful against breakaway without significant changes. I cant really see any situations where scorps b3 would even be an option off his tele launcher.

I cant see scorpion or subs armor break moves being very useful against breakaway without significant changes. I cant really see any situations where scorps b3 would even be an option off his tele launcher.
I tried it and i doesn't work unless they speed it up to connect after f3

Maybe not breakaway but doing a meaty sub kick can blow up both wakeup attacks and wakeup fatal blow, and even if it’s blocked it’s safe.

He gained a very strong oki tool.

I don’t think a character like Sub needs a good breakaway stopper, I hope they balance the move selection around whoukd actually benefit from it the most.

Maybe not breakaway but doing a meaty sub kick can blow up both wakeup attacks and wakeup fatal blow, and even if it’s blocked it’s safe.

He gained a very strong oki tool.

I don’t think a character like Sub needs a good breakaway stopper, I hope they balance the move selection around whoukd actually benefit from it the most.
Wake up attacks don't have armor.

From looking at Sub and Scorp, and what the dude above me said, I'm starting to think some of these armor breaking moves are less for preventing mid combo break aways and more for reading if your opponent is going to do an armored wake up or fatal blow. If they still lead to pop ups or KB's they could still be useful.

Not really a giant meta change tho i don't think, just another option vs wake ups.

Wait a min...

Like Scorpion does...

D2 crush blow...

They mentioned in the stream they increased the start up of these moves. They are faster now.

All three of those armor breakers look pretty weak. They're only gonna work right after the launch. The problem is when people know how to break away properly and break in the middle of a string.
What they didn't tell us is that these are only designed to punish people who accidentally insta-break away...

I can't wait to see how armor breaks are gonna change the meta. Really looking forward to this expansion.

Someone smarten me up...
If characters have armour-breaking move now, then what does the attacker sacrifice in order to break-Breakaway? I understand the risk on the defender's part, but what is the mind-game/coin toss here?

Is it that the attacker has to drop a confirmed combo to read-and-stop the Breakaway?

Someone smarten me up...
If a character has an armour-breaking move now, then what does the attacker sacrifice in order to break-Breakaway? I understand the risk on the defender's part, but what is the mind-game/coin toss here?
There isn't. It'll be up to the defender to make sure their opponent doesn't have enough meter to use it, so neutral will be even more important because everyone is gonna use that shit the second people break away, as they should. You get opened up and combo'ed that's on you. Breakaway ain't gonna be a get out of jail free card anymore.