What's new

Angry Joe interviews Major Nelson

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
Microsoft is clearly inept, have no idea how to make a gaming machine, has no sense of business, and its a shock that they are even still in business. You should start your own Gaming hardware company, bro, because you clearly have it all figured out.

Microsoft are clearly inept.

Good thing they have competition that isn't.

Microsoft are clearly inept.

Good thing they have competition that isn't.
Yup. Microsoft is* inept, and Sony is not.

I don't understand... why would Sony bother competing with somebody so beneath them? They should just buy Microsoft out already.

Oh wait, I forgot. The stuff you say is completely demented.

JaredL

Yup. Microsoft is* inept, and Sony is not.

I don't understand... why would Sony bother competing with somebody so beneath them? They should just buy Microsoft out already.

Oh wait, I forgot. The stuff you say is completely demented.

Sony and microsoft do more than gaming.

Being inept doesn't mean you aren't rich. Just stop dude. You clearly cannot see the writing on the wall.

I personally wouldn't mind at all if the government was secretly spying on me. I mean, if you don't have anything to hide then why should you feel nervous about it. Plus it's not like the government actually cares about random nobodys having casual conversations. They're only going to pay attention to serious criminal activity.

You americans just need to stop being pussies.

JaredL

I personally wouldn't mind at all if the government was secretly spying on me. I mean, if you don't have anything to hide then why should you feel nervous about it. Plus it's not like the government actually cares about random nobodys having casual conversations. They're only going to pay attention to serious criminal activity.

You americans just need to stop being pussies.

Yeah, anyone who hates the xbox one and prism is unamerican!

USA USA USA USA!

Yes. Bing, internet explorer, zune, windows 8 and now xbox one are sure to be resounding successes.

Microsoft are on a winning streak.
I wasn't really interested in discussing Microsoft's risk-taking for innovation... I was just pointing out how ignorant and half-witted you are.

And I'm sorry, I also forgot that Sony has never failed, and has created the better search engine, web-browser, Mp3 player, operating system and game console (somehow determined pre-launch) than Microsoft. :rolleyes:

So has it been explained why the 24 hour check in is necessary? And what happens when I'm out of town or god forbid not at my house to caress my precious XBOX? Will my XBOXONE commence a self destruct sequence if I'm not there to coddle it? Am I really going to have to get an XBOX sitter when I'm not at home for more than a day?

The XBOXONE is literally trying to create no life gamers with no social interactions what so ever. And by social interaction I don't mean playing with friends online or chatting with them on twitter, lol.
In the Angry Joe interview they mentioned that you would be able to use your phone/computer to do the "1h/24h online check".

JaredL

I wasn't really interested in discussing Microsoft's risk-taking for innovation... I was just pointing out how ignorant and half-witted you are. And I'm sorry, I forgot that Sony has never failed, and has a better search engine, web-browser, Mp3 player, operating system and pre-launched game console than Microsoft.

I never said sony hasn't failed. They fucked up with the PS3 launch big time. They've made some big losses recently.

But I'm challenging your silly idea that you can't say something is inept.

Both Sony and Microsoft have made lots of bad decisions and had bad outcomes come for them recently. When it comes to gaming, sony are doing better.

JaredL

In the Angry Joe interview they mentioned that you would be able to use your phone/computer to do the "1h/24h online check".

Doesn't phone tethering come with a cost? I'm not very familiar with the concept.

I never said sony hasn't failed. They fucked up with the PS3 launch big time. They've made some big losses recently.

But I'm challenging your silly idea that you can't say something is inept.

Both Sony and Microsoft have made lots of bad decisions and had bad outcomes come for them recently.
Saying Microsoft is immune to ineptitude was NOT my silly idea, you just spun it that way. I can agree with almost everything else you said.

Is there a way to actually ignore peoples posts on here? These discussions would be much better without some of the regurgitated posts that obvious fanboys keep spewing out.

I thought it was interesting the the online DRM does not require a cable connection like everyone has been saying, you can use wifi tethering with a cell phone. As someone who gamed in the 90s there are ways to even share a dialup connection over a network. So while inconvenient I really don't see the excuse of the online DRM excluding certain populations of people.

Also kind of ridiculous is the region locking where some of the big gaming countries won't have access. But I suspect this is simply a launch issue and the markets will expand. Sony claimed PS3 wouldn't be region locked and yet it was when it was released, so we'll see what happens.

Also the difference in Dev Kits is DirectX vs. Open GL. Do some research on those before talking out of your ass.

Also another thing people are doing is comparing specs of the two without looking at the architectures of the systems. Here's an article by people with actual knowledge of the architecture comparing the systems: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6972/xbox-one-hardware-compared-to-playstation-4/3 interesting that the screen shot JaredL used above comes from that article, he must not have actually read the whole article, either that or he likes posting content out of context.

Interesting that both systems are going to be released with less horse power both CPU and GPU wise than what you can build into a PC. I suspect this is because they are looking to limit power consumption and keep temperature low as to increase the life of the systems.

Finally AngryJoe is great, I find his content pretty entertaining. But he can go overboard sometimes. I think Jared mentioned that AngryJoe would not be buying the Xboxone in a prior post, I'll bet anyone 100$ (and this isn't an empty bet. PayPal works for me, looking at you Jared) that AngryJoe buys the system. Personally I find Total Biscuit a much more intelligent and mature reviewer and while not as entertaining as AngryJoe his content is much more informative.

Is there a way to actually ignore peoples posts on here? These discussions would be much better without some of the regurgitated posts that obvious fanboys keep spewing out.

I thought it was interesting the the online DRM does not require a cable connection like everyone has been saying, you can use wifi tethering with a cell phone. As someone who gamed in the 90s there are ways to even share a dialup connection over a network. So while inconvenient I really don't see the excuse of the online DRM excluding certain populations of people.

Also kind of ridiculous is the region locking where some of the big gaming countries won't have access. But I suspect this is simply a launch issue and the markets will expand. Sony claimed PS3 wouldn't be region locked and yet it was when it was released, so we'll see what happens.

Also the difference in Dev Kits is DirectX vs. Open GL. Do some research on those before talking out of your ass.

Also another thing people are doing is comparing specs of the two without looking at the architectures of the systems. Here's an article by people with actual knowledge of the architecture comparing the systems: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6972/xbox-one-hardware-compared-to-playstation-4/3 interesting that the screen shot JaredL used above comes from that article, he must not have actually read the whole article, either that or he likes posting content out of context.

Interesting that both systems are going to be released with less horse power both CPU and GPU wise than what you can build into a PC. I suspect this is because they are looking to limit power consumption and keep temperature low as to increase the life of the systems.

Finally AngryJoe is great, I find his content pretty entertaining. But he can go overboard sometimes. I think Jared mentioned that AngryJoe would not be buying the Xboxone in a prior post, I'll bet anyone 100$ (and this isn't an empty bet. PayPal works for me, looking at you Jared) that AngryJoe buys the system. Personally I find Total Biscuit a much more intelligent and mature reviewer and while not as entertaining as AngryJoe his content is much more informative.

1) I am not a fanboy of MS or Sony, my fanboydom died with Sega.
2) Love angryjoe, per the whole point of this thread.
3)

Incase anyone was wondering.
The PS4 version has 18 CUs generating 1.84 teraflops of processing power, while the Xbox one has only 12 CUs; which, intheory , gives Sony's machine a 50% advantage in terms of raw shader performance (for example, lighting and other graphics effects). It's never quite this simple because other design and technical elements of the SoC can affect performance, but it's certainly anindicationthat there is more graphics grunt there for PS4.
Sony's machine also uses 8GB of GDDR5 memory with a bandwidth of 176GB/sec as opposed to the Xbox One with its 8GB of DDR3 RAM. GDDR5 memory is optimised for high bandwidth, which is perfect for use in graphics calculations, but also has higher latency than DDR3 RAM, which would be a problem for a general purpose CPU. However, because the PS4 architecture places the GPU and CPU on the same die, the latency between the two may be minimalised. In short, the adoption of a graphics-friendly form of memory may work to PS4's advantage as agames-targeted machine – even though GDDR5 is more expensive to implement. It's worth reading detailed overview of the technologies at AnandTech, though; the exhaustive article points out that the Xbox One architecture is designed with a variety of considerations beyond gaming – especially implementation with other MS platforms – and this shows in the tech specs.

Right and per the rest of the "exhaustive article":

Die size dictates memory interface width, so the 256-bit interface remains but Microsoft chose to go for DDR3 memory instead. A look at Wired’s excellent high-res teardown photo of the motherboard reveals Micron DDR3-2133 DRAM on board (16 x 16-bit DDR3 devices to be exact). A little math gives us 68.3GB/s of bandwidth to system memory.
To make up for the gap, Microsoft added embedded SRAM on die (not eDRAM, less area efficient but lower latency and doesn't need refreshing). All information points to 32MB of 6T-SRAM, or roughly 1.6 billion transistors for this memory. It’s not immediately clear whether or not this is a true cache or software managed memory. I’d hope for the former but it’s quite possible that it isn’t. At 32MB the ESRAM is more than enough for frame buffer storage, indicating that Microsoft expects developers to use it to offload requests from the system memory bus. Game console makers (Microsoft included) have often used large high speed memories to get around memory bandwidth limitations, so this is no different. Although 32MB doesn’t sound like much, if it is indeed used as a cache (with the frame buffer kept in main memory) it’s actually enough to have a substantial hit rate in current workloads (although there’s not much room for growth).
Vgleaks has a wealth of info, likely supplied from game developers with direct access to Xbox One specs, that looks to be very accurate at this point. According to their data, there’s roughly 50GB/s of bandwidth in each direction to the SoC’s embedded SRAM (102GB/s total bandwidth). The combination of the two plus the CPU-GPU connection at 30GB/s is how Microsoft arrives at its 200GB/s bandwidth figure, although in reality that’s not how any of this works. If it’s used as a cache, the embedded SRAM should significantly cut down on GPU memory bandwidth requests which will give the GPU much more bandwidth than the 256-bit DDR3-2133 memory interface would otherwise imply. Depending on how the eSRAM is managed, it’s very possible that the Xbox One could have comparable effective memory bandwidth to the PlayStation 4. If the eSRAM isn’t managed as a cache however, this all gets much more complicated.

Again, I firmly believe this to be exactly the same as current gen consoles in that the games performance will be dictated by the effort developers put towards developing on the specific platform and not the actual hardware in the systems.

Right and per the rest of the "exhaustive article":

Die size dictates memory interface width, so the 256-bit interface remains but Microsoft chose to go for DDR3 memory instead. A look at Wired’s excellent high-res teardown photo of the motherboard reveals Micron DDR3-2133 DRAM on board (16 x 16-bit DDR3 devices to be exact). A little math gives us 68.3GB/s of bandwidth to system memory.
To make up for the gap, Microsoft added embedded SRAM on die (not eDRAM, less area efficient but lower latency and doesn't need refreshing). All information points to 32MB of 6T-SRAM, or roughly 1.6 billion transistors for this memory. It’s not immediately clear whether or not this is a true cache or software managed memory. I’d hope for the former but it’s quite possible that it isn’t. At 32MB the ESRAM is more than enough for frame buffer storage, indicating that Microsoft expects developers to use it to offload requests from the system memory bus. Game console makers (Microsoft included) have often used large high speed memories to get around memory bandwidth limitations, so this is no different. Although 32MB doesn’t sound like much, if it is indeed used as a cache (with the frame buffer kept in main memory) it’s actually enough to have a substantial hit rate in current workloads (although there’s not much room for growth).
Vgleaks has a wealth of info, likely supplied from game developers with direct access to Xbox One specs, that looks to be very accurate at this point. According to their data, there’s roughly 50GB/s of bandwidth in each direction to the SoC’s embedded SRAM (102GB/s total bandwidth). The combination of the two plus the CPU-GPU connection at 30GB/s is how Microsoft arrives at its 200GB/s bandwidth figure, although in reality that’s not how any of this works. If it’s used as a cache, the embedded SRAM should significantly cut down on GPU memory bandwidth requests which will give the GPU much more bandwidth than the 256-bit DDR3-2133 memory interface would otherwise imply. Depending on how the eSRAM is managed, it’s very possible that the Xbox One could have comparable effective memory bandwidth to the PlayStation 4. If the eSRAM isn’t managed as a cache however, this all gets much more complicated.

Again, I firmly believe this to be exactly the same as current gen consoles in that the games performance will be dictated by the effort developers put towards developing on the specific platform and not the actual hardware in the systems.
You best be gone with your relevant facts, expert analysis and impartial logic. That has no place here.

Saffa

Noob
and for those crying about used games, where have you been the past 3 years? publishers and developers are losing money left and right to used game sales. do you honestly believe that EA, Activision, and Ubisoft wont do anything about used game sales on the PS4? they will probably implement something far worse than what will happen on the Xbox1
You do realise publishers and developers plan on making their money at the first sale right?

For a game to be 2nd hand, someone must have bought it new. There you go, they have just made all the money they are legally entitled to.

Don't let them guilt trip you into thinking they deserve more. If they want to make more money, they must produce better products that more people want to buy. Simple as that.

Reminds me of this:

I thought this thread was about the interview and not the controversy. There is a thread for that. It's obvious nobody's mind can be changed at this point about this so each side should just agree to disagree because all arguments have been hashed out and we battled it out but wherever you stand on this is not gonna change.

I think it's bad that in another video Joe mentions better questions he wanted to ask but instead got bogged down in the P.R. bullshit. He should know your never gonna get a straight answer from the Major and instead should have tried to get him to reveal as much new info as possible.