What's new

An honest look at Scarecrow

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
With all of the Scarecrow misinformation and downplaying going on I figured it'd be a good time to post what my honest thoughts are on the character and what his actual problems are. Before I get into it, here's a few disclaimers:

1. The game is still very young and matchups and tools haven't been fully fleshed out yet. I understand that and that is why I'm hesitant to say if a MU is good or bad because chances are both people aren't doing some things right.
2. I'm not the best at the game. I (probably falsely) believe I have a decent understanding of the character and what his playstyle is supposed to be like, but again, the game is still super young and people are still figuring things out.
3. There are some issues with scarecrow. I'm not saying he is unviable trash, or that he is a tournament viable lethal killing machine. He's a very good character that struggles with a few things.

Now lets get into it

Scarecrow is a footsie based character that works best at the range where your normals outrange everyone elses and they are forced to play your game. He also has very good pressure based around his MB DB2 that requires a lot of conditioning to be successful (more on that later). He also has a lot of very good normals, which I will go over a few right now:

F2- Holy shit I love this move. This is the farthest reaching mid in the game, can be confirmed into a full combo with f2xxMBDB2 or F21xxMBDB2, although the 1 will launch them off the ground and you'll have to adjust your ender. Can also be made safe by doing f21xxdb3, which is safe (-7 with pushback) or just by finishing the string f213, which ends in an overhead and is -1 on block.

D2- Another excellent move. This is an insanely good AA with a great hitbox that stuffs almost any air attack. It can also tick by doing D2xxDBF3, which can only be beaten by jumps or backdashes. Protip: if you do this at the very beginning of the match it will hit them if they try to do something or just stand still, the only move that has beaten this out is Cheetah D3 but it is still a very good strat to use in order to condition your opponent.

F3- This move is your best friend against zoners. It is one of the farthest reaching moves in the game, can be armored, and leads to a full combo on hit. From Max range it's hard to get anything really good off of it, but thanks to Scarecrows great normals you are mostly able to capitalize with full damage. It is very unsafe (-28) on block which means that on a bad read you are going to get punished. Does that make it a bad tool? No, it just means you need to make a better read next time.

D3- I feel like a broken record but it is the longest reaching sweep in the game and +1 on block. Very good checking tool to have in your arsenal.

F1- This move, and consequent string, will be a scarecrow players best friend when they are playing high level opponents. It moves scarecrow across the entire galaxy and the hitbox on the last two chain moves are ridiculous. The 3 in F13(3) has hit people behind me. f13xxdb1/db2 are excellent whiff punishers, and while finishing the string won't get you punished for the most part (-10 with pushback) you don't get to hit any more buttons. Protip: If your opponent doesn't have a fireball and has 5% or less health, pop trait up and f133 to your hearts content. They will die an aggravating death.

Now after talking about his strengths, lets look at his weaknesses.

Backdash- This is my least favorite thing about him. It's so slow and every single character in the game can catch it on recovery. There have been certain situations where I've tried to backdash on wakeup and if I was playing literally any other character it would have worked but not for Crow. I'm really not sure why people aren't complaining about this more.

Zoning- It's only fair for a character that does so well up close to struggle with zoning, but man the struggle is real sometimes. Teleport works once in a blue moon, except for me because I'm a buffoon who struggles to do DU on a consistent basis and just ends up jumping backwards into a fireball, sending me back fullscreen. Some people will say that zoner's 9-1 scarecrow, do not listen to them. It's a struggle, its not unwinnable.

Wakeup- this is the thing that everyone complains about, but truthfully I don't see what is so bad about it. Scarecrow is so good in most areas that it's fair to have him be weak on knockdown. People who want his wakeups buffed fail to see that depending on what special move they picked, it would either be really bad (db1, bf2) or really good (bf3, db2) In fact, if you ever see someone asking for DB2 to get more invincibility frames that should be the sign to not take them seriously. MBDB2 full combos on hit, leads to pressure on block, and has a stupid hitbox that will hit anyone even remotely near it even in the air, don't make it invincible lol. Your best option, and one that everyone else seems to forget, is to just block.

Holes in his strings- Most of his good strings B1()2, 22()F3, F21()3 have gaps that people will eventually start backdashing. This will require crow players to level up their game in turn.

I feel that the reason Scarecrow players think he's bad is that he requires good reads and conditioning to be successful and win games. In a game this early no one is that good at it yet, and people will equate that into the character just being bad. Here's a few situations that I run into pretty fairly where conditioning makes the utmost difference.

*You're playing someone for the 3rd game in a row. In the first 2 you managed to catch him with a d2 because he tried hitting buttons and landed a full combo both times. Now, he's a good player and he probably has figured out that you're going to do it again and to not hit buttons. Do you:
A. Read that he's going to backdash instead of blocking and try to punish with f133
B. Read that he's going to block in order to punish your d2, which leaves him vulnerable to tick throws
C. Go for a Jumpin because there's no way he's gonna hit buttons after you blew him up for doing that 2 times in a row and get something going (After a blocked J3 I always go for a raw DBF3 or d1xxgrab. Shit's money)

*You do a f21xxMBDB2 blockstring on someone, leaving you +6. Do you:
A. Go for the poke, which will beat him trying to hit buttons but will lose to backdashes
B. Go for F1, which will catch backdashes but will get beat out by them hitting buttons
C. Go for a tick with either d1 or d2. This beats blocking but again loses to backdashing or jumping.
D. Make them think you're going to do a d1 tick by either d1ing and then punishing their backdash, or just by doing raw grab. Loses to same options as above.
E. Go for the regular throw. This is the last thing anyone would expect and is pretty successful.

He's a very hard character to play and people will mistake that as him being not good. You will take your lumps playing him and that's fine. This game is still super young and wins and losses don't mean anything right now. Just learn and get better and you will have more fun with Crow.

I won't claim to know any matchups for sure, but out of all the ones I've played so far Blue Beetle and Green Arrow are the worst. I don't wanna give a definitive # because I am unqualified to do so, but Beetle really feels like a 7-3, but with enough labbing and practice it could be a 6-4. I feel like he does well against Cheetah, I have it as 5-5 but honestly in the future as people get better blocking Cheetah I wouldn't be surprised to call it 6-4 in Scarecrow favor. I can explain in greater detail later if it calls for it.

Lastly, here are the list of changes that I really want Crow to have:
1. Better backdash. Honestly this is the only thing he needs. It's awful. I don't want a broken backdash like prepatch Adam in injustice1, I don't even want a good backdash. I just want one where I don't get punished for using it. If they do this it will help with his bad wakeups because if people think that I'm gonna backdash on wakeup, they might get caught with a wakeup grab more frequently.

These 2 are just QOL changes that he'll do fine without but would be nice to have.
1. When traumatize is active, I wish the bar would go down slower or if he still had a slightly more powerful DOT effect like he does when he's charging it. Sometimes it's a waste because you're either getting zoned out and need enough time to get in and use it, or you're getting pressured and don't have an ample time to use it, so it'd be nice if the opponent had to at least deal with the minuscule damage in exchange for not being hit with the trait.

2. The hitbox in f2(1) whiffs consistently at max range and will make your punish stop dead in your tracks. Just make it a little better so I can whiff punish. I don't think its too unreasonable to want my buttons to hit when they should.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
@Chongo Great write-up! I based almost my entire Cheetah/Scarecrow matchup in my Ultimate Cheetah Guide on our matches. I still have no idea how to approach that matchup, other than yolo lunges. A lot of characters keep her out of her optimal range, but Scarecrow is like a fortress of long-range normals and 500+ damage punishes.

It feels like whoever can corner the other is going to win, but Scarecrow has such an advantage in the neutral that it's much easier for him to corner Cheetah.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
This was a good read. Having only used him in Arcade mode, I can agree with your points, his range was ridiculous. I would argue a strong character with flaws is the way characters should be designed (coming as a Canary main) and don't really jive with the people asking for buffs already. He might just look bad compared to Deadshot or Black Adam; characters that don't really seem to have flaws

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
There are a lot of things stuffing d2 at match start, startup sucks, gets destroyed if you try it on reaction on a jump, no upplaying pls. Or play chars with good jumpins to see. It only ticks at point blank where you're already dead if you're there.

You will never get the -1 overhead out because of the gap d1- full combo punishable.

Scarecrow is a solid.mid tier and you will get him nerfed with all these threads spreading theory stuff.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
I started him recently and all I can say is that he is fun and has tools that I want in a character. Slightly surprised given that I heard he was total shit.

Very soon to talk about his viability though.

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
Nice write up! But I'm fairly certain cheetah bends scarecrow over for free
Not trying to be mean but you must really be playing the MU wrong. What do you have issues with?

There are a lot of things stuffing d2 at match start, startup sucks, gets destroyed if you try it on reaction on a jump, no upplaying pls. Or play chars with good jumpins to see. It only ticks at point blank where you're already dead if you're there.

You will never get the -1 overhead out because of the gap d1- full combo punishable.

Scarecrow is a solid.mid tier and you will get him nerfed with all these threads spreading theory stuff.
Never said D2 ticks happen at start of the match, I just said D2 hits and leads to a f2 combo. If you can't D2 on reaction to jumps you gotta get better

If people are punishing you for f213 everytime, then you're doing the absolute worst job of mixing it up and thats on you. F21DB3 or F21 then block to discourage pokes.

Good write up, but the only thing I disagree about is the wakeup section. I don't believe that his up close game is good enough that he should be completely free on wakeup, but I do agree that making db2 a full invinceable wakeup would be silly. Db3 would make the most sense to me, since it creates space on hit but won't lead to any followup like MB db2, db1, or bf1 would.

Just give me him a remotely useable backdash and a wakeup and he'd be fine imo.

Last edited:

Shaka

Tier Whore.
Ok so
Better backdash.
Traumatize once is full doesn't run out till its used.
Faster D2 & a bit more health should do it for him?

I agreeed he doesn't need a wake up.

JDM

Noob
D2 is already 11 frames, how much faster do you want it to be lol
At least 1-2 frames. It is indeed too slow imo and im a crow upplayer if anything.

I get he has big range and I guess we need to sacrifice speed for it but 11 is too slow to anti air certain characters at all.

That said I think the character is very good, and if the top five gets nerfs he's gonna shine a lot more. He gets wrecked by Aquaman and other characters who can consistently punish with a 6f d1.

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
Just to piggyback off of what you said about conditioning, if I may:

The F13 headbutt string is really amazing. I know F2 into MBdb2 pressure is more common, but the range on F13 lets you condition opponents even more for a few reasons.

1.) The move is slower to start up. Well, is that bad? Possibly, but I've found that using it liberally (and smartly) will pay dividends. Say you've opened someone up from range with a massive combo of F13 into death spin into whatever. The enemy is going to know the damage is coming and want to block at that range. So, you can throw the string out, go into the Fearnado pressure, then hit them with all the things you posted.

2.) Something that I feel isn't discussed very often is how the F13 string can get by high projectiles with good timing. I know this seems insane, but throwing a F1 out when you read a high projectile coming is a blessing if you're at the right range. I played a Captain Cold earlier today that wanted to shoot the cold gun A LOT. I patiently ducked each, got to mid range, and used F1 to headbutt under the projectile for full combo.

Seriously, use F1 for a ton purposes, just be smart about it.

EDIT: Also, agree completely with your points on the backdash. It's so useless against rushdown characters that use jump ins. Batman hits me everytime I try a backdash to get a whiff.

Sultan

Kitana, Scorpion
*You do a f21xxMBDB2 blockstring on someone, leaving you +6. Do you:
A. Go for the poke, which will beat him trying to hit buttons but will lose to backdashes
B. Go for F1, which will catch backdashes but will get beat out by them hitting buttons
C. Go for a tick with either d1 or d2. This beats blocking but again loses to backdashing or jumping.
D. Make them think you're going to do a d1 tick by either d1ing and then punishing their backdash, or just by doing raw grab. Loses to same options as above.
E. Go for the regular throw. This is the last thing anyone would expect and is pretty successful.
Some further analysis on the above:

My go to tight mid hitting frame traps are 22 and d2
22 is my favorite because the first hit catches jump or button attempts, and the second hit catches all backdashes in the game. What sucks is midscreen the combo options off of the second hit of 22 are either weak (xx fear blast) or non-existent, depending on the backdash (catwoman, cheetah, cold, etc). The two instances where 22 is 100% the best option are when traumatize is locked-and-loaded because nobody in the game can back dash 22xxTraumatize (soo much damage), or when they're cornered and have to eat 22xxWhatever for free. Also on block 22, 22f3 and xxdb2.mb or xxfearblast are safe options.

d2 is uninterruptible, and can actually beat a a handful of reversal backdash attempts simultaneously (working on a comprehensive list atm on this one), so it's my second choice for pokes.

d1 is awesome in the corner because you can input your cancel immediately, and if the opponent backdashes the jab wiffs and you have enough time to punish with a full 123 or 11 string.

Against the vast majority of the cast a delayed Schizophrenia, with a very slight walk-forward, will eat backdash attempts also. After labbing this only like 5 characters can actually backdash a slightly delayed, walking Schizo. The advantage here is it catches opponents willing to block and/or backdash, and only loses to 7f or faster normals or jumps.

If scouting a backdash and you're using f2, I'd argue you're better off using b3 or f1. You're getting way more damage, and f2 is already susceptible to counter-pokes (+6, -15 = a 9 frame window that everyone can challenge if they're pressing the right buttons). If your committing to a read, may as well commit all the way. Only advantage to f2 vs b3 is if your opponent is mistiming their counter-pokes or pressing the wrong buttons. Be aware though that Cheetah and Catwoman backdash far enough to avoid b3... F13 comes with the downfall of not being so great at catching jumps, which is the riskiest way to escape mb.db2 pressure, but the damage potential is so much nicer that f21 when you catch a backdash, while still being hitconfirmable on block or hit.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
He needs a wakeup. Any competent player will harass you on knockdown.
Buffs:
Make db2 a wakeup
Take off 7 recovery frames from teleport
Make trait startup faster
Give traumatize longer hit stun like firestorm mb low blast.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
This char is absolute shit in so many ways.

edit: also, there's no need to backdash F213. You can full combo punish it with S1.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Let's just not pretend like he's not low to low mid tier.. Lbsh.. Which is fine. There has to be low tier characters in every game but let's just not upplay

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
You can upplay as long as you're realistic and not get him random nerfed because of NRS logic.

There is not a single tool he has that wins him matches without work, as opposed so some other chars I might mention.

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
DB3 has slight invincibility. I feel like I've said this in like 3 different threads but it seems to get ignored.

I haven't posted here in forever, but I gotta say. Amazing post. Please play the other 28 characters and write a similar post for each one. :p