What's new

Am I the only one who absolutely hates the new patch?

I came back to Mortal Kombat after the patch, and I came to find that they broke the ranking system. I lose almost every ranked match I play because it's not "ranked" anymore. I fought the 2nd best player overall on xbox live the other day. I have 150 wins and about 170 losses, and he was around 8000/2000. This made me put the game back down. Player matches are also not an option because the few people who do still play online only play ranked. Truly a depressing day, yesterday was.

I used to enjoy playing this on xbox live, and I find it ironic that another purpose of this patch was to fix the lag.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
The ranking system was not affected at all by the patch, from my understanding. I remember playing top 10 ranked players back when I had less than 100 games played and a losing record.

And the "few people" still playing only play ranked? Even at off-hours the Chaosrealm room still has a good amount of people.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
As a Noob Saibot player...
...i wont lie. The day that i hit someone with an overhead shadow, i got so many butterflies in my stomach i thought id fly away lol well that and i MIGHT have had to change my pants. Can't remember.

Lol the day I got hit by the tackle when I was blocking low I was sad. Then I tried to hit him and I got hit by his armored upkick. Don't even get me started when I fought a stryker who utilized all of his new buffs, and got fucked up by Barakas full screen ex blade charge and his hilarious looking d1. This patch is crazy.

Phantom

Kitana Prime aka MK's Rated R Superstar
I came back to Mortal Kombat after the patch, and I came to find that they broke the ranking system. I lose almost every ranked match I play because it's not "ranked" anymore. I fought the 2nd best player overall on xbox live the other day. I have 150 wins and about 170 losses, and he was around 8000/2000. This made me put the game back down. Player matches are also not an option because the few people who do still play online only play ranked. Truly a depressing day, yesterday was.

I used to enjoy playing this on xbox live, and I find it ironic that another purpose of this patch was to fix the lag.
Stop letting the records intimidate you. The online was unchanged anyway.
But like it has been mentioned, just join a room and look for players among your skill level, if records are what you're basing this off.
It's not and never has been hard.

Oh and again, i don't let records intimidate you. You post here on TYM - a FUCKING GOLDMINE of information. Soak up this info of the game, apply it to your game, learn from your losses (EVERYONE loses) and finally, just put the time in. You sound like someone who wants to win, you have all the tools in front you.

The only question is, what you gon do!?

Exactly phantom. Don't let records intimidate you. I'm like 1900-1600 but I lose pretty much every game I play. If I actually tried to get better at this game I would considering how much I lose but I don't for a reasons I won't get into. You'll only learn by getting beat by better players than you and losing ALOT. But most of all if you take this game seriously and want to get better, only use online to learn matchups and just practice. Just because your #1 in ranked doesn't mean you'll win a major, you'll most likely get blown up.

aj1701

Noob
It certainly feels the game is really balanced right now. At the same time, it feels like there's a lot more input delay than there was prepatch. More likely though I've just been playing more poorly than usual.

KingShaz

In the Shadows
Lol the day I got hit by the tackle when I was blocking low I was sad. Then I tried to hit him and I got hit by his armored upkick. Don't even get me started when I fought a stryker who utilized all of his new buffs, and got fucked up by Barakas full screen ex blade charge and his hilarious looking d1. This patch is crazy.
I wish.

Phantom

Kitana Prime aka MK's Rated R Superstar
Exactly phantom. Don't let records intimidate you. I'm like 1900-1600 but I lose pretty much every game I play. If I actually tried to get better at this game I would considering how much I lose but I don't for a reasons I won't get into. You'll only learn by getting beat by better players than you and losing ALOT. But most of all if you take this game seriously and want to get better, only use online to learn matchups and just practice. Just because your #1 in ranked doesn't mean you'll win a major, you'll most likely get blown up.
Yes.

I'm a Top 100 player in ranked myself on XBL but I don't think I'd win a major lol
Not to completely doubt myself (trust me I don't) - I feel I could compete, you know, but dealing with the nerves and other factors forces me to accept that I simply don't have the one thing I can't gain by playing online or posting on TYM - EXPERIENCE.

GambitTheFirst

Just some bees, please.
The ranking system was not affected at all by the patch, from my understanding. I remember playing top 10 ranked players back when I had less than 100 games played and a losing record.
This. I was personally hoping the patch would improve online, but after having a long session with a English psn friend that I have a perfectly fine connection with in SSF4, I'm pretty certain they didn't change it. And that's just lag, nothing to do with the ranking and match making system, those have always been the same. It frustrates me because I get matched with lots more people with a terrible win/loss ratio than good ratios and there is no point playing those people for me as it's just boring beating down on some poor guy who hasn't got a clue. In fact I'd say that hurts my game because I get used to having to block random bullshit opposed to people who actually think about what they're doing.

Also the ranking boards don't mean anything anyway because it is literally based purely on wins, despite having that slightly more useful "points" stat. Basically whoever plays the most games with some level of competence will be high on the table just because they have loads of wins, regardless of if they have just as many or even more losses.

This reminds me of Counter-Strike players blaming every headshot they miss on the most recent Steam patch which didn't actually affect netcode or gameplay, and which might not have even existed.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
In terms of things that are good for the longeivity of this game: TYM.com > Online.

Seriously. Other than the Wharf/TYM room, or when I've immersed myself in boredom and feel like I have no choice, I don't bother with Online anymore.
No matter how baddassly awesome you become, you're still playing with a different battleplan on the servers.
You're better off doing what most of us do...soak up the plethora of knowledgable knowledge in the Character Forums like a sponge and go to work.

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
How does one get to the TYM room anyway?
Well when its up its up. Or you can just make it. No credentials other than being a member here are needed. In The Wharf, it is encouraged and recommended you get a mic to see the crazy shenanigans that happen during KOTH. (Just look at the thread too...the things we say to each other are so ridiculously stupid its funny).

saix88

Banned
This reminds me of Counter-Strike players blaming every headshot they miss on the most recent Steam patch which didn't actually affect netcode or gameplay, and which might not have even existed.
Except you could tweak your config to fix the registration while in mortal kombat you can't...

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
New patch is good. Big influx of competent Stryker players.

New patch is also kinda stupid. They decided the game should be slower, so wake-ups have an additional four frames of invincibility... which is nice. But personally, I would've preferred the game be slowed down by patching it in a way that fixes the fact this game has an army of zoners that were already kinda bad at zoning.

Matix218

Get over here!
New patch is good. Big influx of competent Stryker players.

New patch is also kinda stupid. They decided the game should be slower, so wake-ups have an additional four frames of invincibility... which is nice. But personally, I would've preferred the game be slowed down by patching it in a way that fixes the fact this game has an army of zoners that were already kinda bad at zoning.
I assume you mean mainly Sindel and Noob? They def improved Noobs Zoning game big time by giving him full screen zoning mixups (shadow tackle hitting overhead).

I do agree with your statement, just pointing out that Noobs zoning did def get better post patch.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
That's not how it works. They added 4 frames to the window in which you can do a wake up attack. Not 4 extra frames of invincibility to all wake up attacks.