What's new

AGE NYChris G Wins Injustice: Gods Among Us at Road to EVO Event, Community Effort Orlando 2013

why wouldnt green arrow cancel all his strings into arrow then?
Is this a serious question? And to clarify, Low Arrow is 0 onblock and standing is +3. His 3 viable strings are + too, why wasting an Ice Arrow on block? GA is the D+1 King, if the Ice Arrow is blocked, d+1xxGreen Arrow until it hits, cause it´s +28 on hit, free mixup

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
the ending to the PL vs KDZ match was incredible ....

Was hoping my homies REO and CDjr would get 1st but GGS to Chris G who I always root for as well since he still plays MK9 all they way through from 2011 to now, no excuses, no quitting ... I even like seeing PL do well too...

Both Deg and Saltface really showed us what Harley Quinn is capable off (which is anything she wants basically)...

I thought this was an amazing event, GGS to all ...

PL vs KDZ was sooo fucking HYPE! I much respect for PL for play so many different chars at such a high level. Just because Scorpion didn't win doesn't mean he isn't broken. Chris G is just that good plus the Scorpions he faced were doing a lot of non MB teles and getting blown up for it. Plus if anyone watched the stream none of the Scorpion players really stuck with him when they got to Top 8 which was weird IMO because thats how they got to Top 8. After this next patch he should be a lot easier to deal with. All in all great matches! Saltface VS 16Bit was also fucking Hype. Congrats to Saltface and DEG making it to Top 8. Best injustice tourney to date. So much Hype, Drama and Salt rolled into one tournament!

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
But he plays Capcom games, which is something that most MK players either don't do or are strongly opposed to doing. I highly doubt that MK5-MK9, IGAU only players could replicate anything similar in non NRS games. This is the problem. MK players need to broaden their game horizons. There are many MK5-MK9 players who will play 3d games, but why is it that many of them will not touch another 2d fighter that isn't made by NRS? That's why I've always held the belief that if NRS ever were to make their games less like a 3d melee game and more like MK1-UMK3 (but up to date), Most MK5-MK9 players would never win another tournament again.
My point was that Chris G isn't a Capcom player, he plays Capcom games, but he plays nearly every single fighting game that comes out.

You're correct that appreciation for all games needs to be there, Mustard and I used to frequently attend Street Fighter 4 tournaments in London, on top of Street Fighter x Tekken. I love other fighting games too, I just put way more time into NRS titles, as they're where my heart is.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Is this a serious question? And to clarify, Low Arrow is 0 onblock and standing is +3. His 3 viable strings are + too, why wasting an Ice Arrow on block? GA is the D+1 King, if the Ice Arrow is blocked, d+1xxGreen Arrow until it hits, cause it´s +28 on hit, free mixup
You cannot do d1 xx standing arrow unless you wait until GA stands up, and then you can get hit out of it. So I have no idea what game have you been playing lol

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
People are ignoring that what Scorpion has is something not new, and isn't entirely a problem for the game. People are seriously jumping the gun because they don't know.

well that jumping the gun and crying is making a move that should of been +9 to -8 on Tuesday.
(who know what the pushback changes will do also)
while the people who rallied to get him banned might or might not step up and say they were wrong that wont change the fact scorpion players will have to deal with the effect of people thinking they know better for the rest of the games life.

its mk9 all over again and its just sad

aj1701

Noob
Well, there you have it. All you need to beat Scorpion is to be as good as Chris G.

The fact that 3 week old Scorpions took 2nd, 4th, 5th and 6th place over peoples 2 month mains will now be completely ignored.
Scorp being three weeks old means EVERYONE had at more three weeks of MU Exp against him.

coolwhip

Noob
And now everyone will say scorpion is fine even though he was part of 4 of the top 5 players main character in usage...

1st-Chris G (No scorpion)
2nd- PL (Scorpion)
3rd- KDZ (No scorpion)
4th- Deg (Scorpion)
5th- REO (Scorpion)
5th- JR (Scorpion

So i guess technically 4 of top 6. Seems fine.

The guy who won the tournament tore Scorpion apart. More importantly, the other guy who reached the GF won every single set of his, starting top 32, with a character OTHER than Scorpion. In his first two top 32 matches, PL used only BA. Then against Deg, he won a match with Scorpion, lost the second, and closed it with Doomsday. Against KDZ, he won two matches with Scorpion, but finished it with Batman.

The point? Yes, Scorpion is obviously a great character. But people really need to stop using every single thing as biased vindication for their opinion. The amount of Scorpions in top 8 might indicate that he's really good (he is), but is there ANYTHING you saw in that tournament that made you think: this character needs to be banned? Because I sure didn't. A lot of players handled him fine. He won a lot of matches, like any other top tier character would, and lost some.

Now I'm not saying this absolutely means that he shouldn't be banned. It just means that, based on what we've seen so far (and yeah, I'll put more stock in CEO than watching REO body some people on stream), we haven't seen anything to suggest that an immediate ban is in order. Maybe if Scorpion players level up in the future, and come up with some really unplayable bullshit, this discussion could be re-triggered. But for now, all CEO did was prove that Scorpion is a really good character, which we knew already (it also showed that Superman is a retardedly good character too, but nobody's complaining).

coolwhip

Noob
Im just saying how can someone look at the results with the scorpions all over the place and say, "yea we were right, hes fine"...
Agreed. But can you seriously look at what happened and go "yeah we were right, he should be banned?" And if so why? Just because there were a lot of Scorpions? 3 of the people playing him were REO, PL and CD Jr...only the best MK players in the game's history.

The whole idea was that Scorpion is so scrubby that top players who don't play him will get randomed out by inferior players, which didn't happen. In fact, even top players didn't really dominate with Scorpion to an overwhelming extent.

Again, what happened shows that Scorpion is really, really good. But you're a sensible guy Smar, no way can you claim, in good faith, that the tourney proved he should be banned.

I'll say this though: While I was happy Scorpion was in the game, I don't think he's fun to watch at all.

coolwhip

Noob
Capcom player beat MK players, cool. At least ChrisG doesn't cry "ban scorpion". How ironic that a Scorpion players has ALOT of salt after losing to scorpion. If you don't like Injustice then perhaps it's best to leave that community.

LOL I love how guys like CrimsonShadow will blow someone like PL up by making excuses every time he loses (rightly so), but we'll ignore that any time REO or CD Jr lose, there's endless drama. Good god. Whether it's the whole "REO went Kung Lao and not Kabal at EVO" fiasco (which isn't accurate by the way), "REO wasn't himself", CD Jr's endless twitter rants any time he loses, claims that REO threw his match with 16 Bit at Anaheim ON PURPOSE (my favorite), and Jr's never-ending internal battles and love-hate relationship with fighting games.

I think Jr is an extremely cool guy, but stop it with that shit. REO doesn't care about this game? Then why is he traveling to tournaments and practicing it? To support the community? That's admirable, but then let's not hear bullshit like this on twitter. I know it's not REO who directly wrote this, but Jr was quoting him, so just stop...

coolwhip

Noob
Pl shouldve stayed with Black adam, which is the only character he used that impressed me.

This. To me, at least in this tournament, it looked to be his best character. I love PL, but he really needs to stop with the character turmoil after dropping a game. It's one thing to go from Scorpion to Batman, or Scorpion to Doomsday (both time it paid off), but... Cyborg? Give me a break. It reminds me of that time he went to Freddy against Maxter at MLG.

coolwhip

Noob
Yup. Here's what I said a week ago:

Good for you. Except taking pre-preemptive measures without knowing whether something will happen for sure is senseless in this particular case. The scenario you described could very well happen, but there's also the possibility that people will actually learn to deal with Scorpion better.

The reasonable thing to do is to just let things play out, and THEN make decisions accordingly, as opposed to just assuming "Oh, Scorpion players will level up and that character will be impossible to handle" and ban him, when as off right now, there's no such evidence, especially with the nerfs.

Until someone can put a dent in the above logic, there's no way they're going to sound convincing. Is it too hard to just wait and see?

And spare me the nonsense about "ALL the top players think he should be banned" because it's just one of those fallacies that's been thrown around so much around here that people just start taking it for a fact (hell, people repeated that MK9 is a 3 year old game so much that everyone seemingly thinks it is).

A lot of top players are actually against banning Scorp. And before pointing out to the TYM polls, those were the community's votes, not strictly the top players' votes. Huge difference. And no, I won't claim to know about fighting games better than guys like REO or Jr, but needless to say, the latter has been wrong so many times before, while the former (who's also been wrong) is a 24/7 troll whose real opinion is seldom known. On the podcast debut with Pig, Tom and Dave, he said Scorpion is now "fine, probably top 5" after the nerfs, only to say he should be banned on the following podcast. Nobody knows what REO really thinks, and even if we did, that doesn't mean we should blindly follow like sheep, when we can just wait for things to play themselves out.

coolwhip

Noob
In any case:

Congrats to PL for winning MK
Congrats to Chris G for again putting on a masterclass in playing fighting games
Congrats to KDZ for making a huge splash and being a hair's edge away from Grand Finals

And congrats to SaltFace for representing and putting harley and ATL on the map.

This was a great tournament, and full of all kinds of hype.

That's more like it. Through all the bullshit, we actually ignored that this was a HELL of a tournament, with some epic sets.

Chris G is out of this world. PL really deserves major props for winning MK and taking second in Injustice (without your imposed asterisk of doing it without Jr and REO in the case of the latter :p )